SD3 / SDX: External SSD vs. Internal Flash Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD3 / SDX: External SSD vs. Internal Flash Drive

I'm nearly at capacity on my internal flash drive (512gb) and craving more SDX expansions when the summer discounts roll around.

Does anyone have experience running Superior Drummer 3 / SDX expansions via external SSD? Any difference in performance / increased latency? Did you have to change audio settings to compensate?

Thanks!

Unless you're running SD3 in cached mode I don't think you'd have any trouble, aside from a slight increase in load times.

When do the summer discounts usually start? I'm holding out for the Decades SDX but may have to add others if the prices are right.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

SD3 does not stream from disk. It loads into memory so it is just the load times which will depend on the interface speed you use. I use a spinning disk for my SD3 and the load times are still good. You donít need to change any audio settings
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Thanks for the info mkok!

It looks like a few weeks in June/July have been the sales window in past years. Similar 30-40% off that they offer in Nov/Dec.

I've noticed that the sale has not included SDX' designed for SD3- i.e. Bob Rock. Progressive Foundry wasn't included until last winter either. Similarly, I doubt Orchestral and Decades will be discounted either.

Comment

I'm running SD3, SDXs' and some Expansions from a USB3 External SS Drive and for my setup, it takes about 8-10 seconds for a 10-piece set to load, but that's about the same load time as a platter Drive that I've had previously.

A sale on Orchestral would be a good thing. Toontrack's been running weekend deals lately because of their 20 year Anniversary and I wonder if that is replacing the Summer sale that you're waiting for.

Comment

Hopefully not. SDX's haven't really been included in the flash mailers that I've seen.

Comment

I donít think orchestral will be on offer for at least a year. When they do have offers on sdx packs the latest one is never included.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Yes, that definitely is Toontrack's sales pattern.
                If I was them, I'd hold off on offering a sale on Orchestral, too.
                I'm sure that was expensive to produce.
                Perhaps next Holiday season.

Comment

If Decades is as good as I expect I won't hesitate to pay full price.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Working...
                  X