Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VST that supports multi-layer sample import???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VST that supports multi-layer sample import???

I know Superior Drummer does - IF you map each and every sample file to a specific velocity. But Iím curious if anyone out there knows if thereís a VST that supports auto-map imports for multi-layered sample libraries. My Strike pro module does this with the Strike editor, and itís stupid easy...

Iím moving away from my module though and looking to use different sample files from different VST libraries to create my ďperfectĒ kit(s). The problem Iím running into is that most of the VSTs Iíve looked at support one shot samples, but not multi-layer / multi-velocity mapped sample imports. And while technically yes - you can do this with Superior Drummer 3, it would take days/weeks to pull it off.

Any advice or experience with other VSTs out there?

Thanks in advance for any input...

Alesis Strike module and pro pads | ATV cymbals | Tama HW and pedals

one i know of, is BFD 2 or 3 .. multi sample import automatically stacked by velocity..
    | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Just watched a few videos on the import process... will have to give this a run. Thanks for the tip.

As as far as usability - any thoughts on how BFD performs?

Thanks again

Comment

both BFD-2 and Superior 2 work fine with real time playing.. (see audio in my sig) ..i used bfd for toms and superior for cymbals,
        both for snares .. no bleeds no room mics and both fed through the same reverb plug in.. ..inside reaper.. .. i always used tdw-20 hihat
        because i could never get the vh-12 pressure tightness (sound) working in software .. (and it felt 'faster' than a vst..)
        i prefer reaper as a vst host because you can tune the pc audio buffering a lot..
        | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

I would look into KontaKt. whenever I was buying sample packs and importing them into the strike I noticed many sample companies made packs specifically for kontakt. In fact the kontakt samples ended up being what worked best in the strike. And a little research shows you can import multi layer as well as trigger the program with your kit.

Comment

So quick update just for kicks....

No BFD3 - yet.... Although Iím sure Iíll pick it up eventually.

Instead, I added more RAM to my PC and simply load up multiple VSTs depending on which sample libraries Iím looking to trigger. If I trim out various sample sets from the stacked VSTs then my buffering stays nice and manageable and latency is hovering around ~3ms. More than doable in my opinion.

I donít know if this would work for everyone, but my hardware setup is pretty stout - i7 8-core cpu, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD for sample libraries. I/O is running through a Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB (over USB-C connection).

So now I just load up my preferred sample sets as a project in Cubase 10, save it if desired, and Iím off and running. Not quite as quick and dirty as running straight through a module, but all in all itís proven to be a lot more pleasing to my ears.

Thanks again for the feedback and recommendations.

Comment

Working...
            X