Superior Drummer 3.1.3 Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

Well jeez, if he’s now getting good results even with an incorrect setup and a style that doesn’t translate well to e-hats, the updated algorithm must really be great!
    I don't know if he changed clutch position since etc..it was all very loose and moving, it was months ago.

Comment

Ok so I haven’t particularly felt a difference in hi hat response. I thought I did but probably down to knowing it was a new update. Toontrack have promised a big change in the next update for the hi hat. They did say it would be a while so I would give it a year. I should imagine there will be a small update soon as a few people have found bugs. Overall great update. I’ll delve a bit deeper into the hi hat when I get a chance but I’m reasonably happy with it and it is definitely playable with my combination of td30 vh12.

I’m not sure why negative comments get posted with the indication you would be better off with a mimic when this thread is about the update. I personally think the ssd samples don’t come anywhere near SD3 or sd2. The only time I would consider it is if it was for giging but definitely not for home use and recording. With SD3 and positional sensing you feel like your playing a real kit. I play ssd5 and it sounds good but does not feel like a real kit like SD3 does. With a pair of dt1770 headphones the experience is brilliant
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
        Ok so I haven’t particularly felt a difference in hi hat response. I thought I did but probably down to knowing it was a new update.
        lol 'the update effect' ? i know about placebo effect, but this is new .. but it could work like that..

| Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
          lol 'the update effect' ? i know about placebo effect, but this is new .. but it could work like that..
          You got it lol
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Ok so I haven’t particularly felt a difference in hi hat response. I thought I did but probably down to knowing it was a new update. Toontrack have promised a big change in the next update for the hi hat. They did say it would be a while so I would give it a year. I should imagine there will be a small update soon as a few people have found bugs.
            I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean they had promised a big change in the "next" update (meaning this one, and it is not what they claimed), OR do you mean they are still promising a big change with the "next" update a year from now, meaning in 2020?

Thanks!
            ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

As both a Mimic owner and a SD3 user I have to say that the Mimic is slightly better in the hi-hat department. That actually speaks to how well SD3 works. Lots of fast open/close patterns - no problem. Full range from tight to open - no problem. The Mimic does have a slight edge here - it's a bit smoother. In SD3, it also seems to be very dependent on the chosen library & hi-hat, whereas the Mimic is consistently smooth on each hi-hat.

If the Mimic were a better TMI then I'd probably mix it's hi-hat with SD3 for playing. Unfortunately, it has more latency than both my ATV and TD50 (no numbers here - just going by extensive back and forth testing). Might have something to do with the lack of MIDI over USB, not sure. Of course, then I'd lose the TD50's positional sensing, which I really like.

There's no perfect answer but thankfully there are a lot more choices now than 4-5 years ago.
              Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean they had promised a big change in the "next" update (meaning this one, and it is not what they claimed), OR do you mean they are still promising a big change with the "next" update a year from now, meaning in 2020?

Thanks!
                Directly quoted from Toontrack on the forum from a couple of days before 3.1.3 was released. I guessed a year but who knows from this post how long it will be or what it will be.
                "We have a plan to make a substatial update to the MIDI In/E-drums settings tab but it will not be part of the upcomming SD3.1.3 update that will be released soon (Hopefully). So, unfortunately, it will be some time until you will see any improvements for the CC-zone feature"

Also from sounds release notes. So I will have to take a look at my own pre-sets which is all I use and see if I need to load the default or if I can change it to match.

Changes

• E-drum hi-hat performance has been improved by loading Open Tip 1-4 in the default, Clean and George Massenburg presets.
                • Hi-hat Open 5 is no longer loaded by default which makes the transmuting smoother.
                • ‘Mid Center’ snare articulation is now called ‘Off Center’.
                • Two new presets, ‘Levee’ and ‘Man of Sand’, featured in Toontrack tutorials are now included.
                Last edited by mkok; 04-27-19, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Directly quoted from Toontrack on the forum from a couple of days before 3.1.3 was released. I guessed a year but who knows from this post how long it will be or what it will be.
                  "We have a plan to make a substatial update to the MIDI In/E-drums settings tab but it will not be part of the upcomming SD3.1.3 update that will be released soon (Hopefully). So, unfortunately, it will be some time until you will see any improvements for the CC-zone feature"

Also from sounds release notes. So I will have to take a look at my own pre-sets which is all I use and see if I need to load the default or if I can change it to match.

Changes

• E-drum hi-hat performance has been improved by loading Open Tip 1-4 in the default, Clean and George Massenburg presets.
                  • Hi-hat Open 5 is no longer loaded by default which makes the transmuting smoother.
                  • ‘Mid Center’ snare articulation is now called ‘Off Center’.
                  • Two new presets, ‘Levee’ and ‘Man of Sand’, featured in Toontrack tutorials are now included.
                  Perfect response! Thank you. I was hoping that a "substantial" update to the CC-zone feature would be on the way. Too bad it didn't make this update, but it's good to know they're still paying attention there.
                  ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Working...
                  X