Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior Drummer 3.1.3 Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Superior Drummer 3.1.3 Update

    It's been a while since Toontrack updated SD3, but they've release 3.1.3 today. I don't see any release notes yet but am excited to see what's changed/improved.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

  • #2
    Iíve installed it today. There are two updates. The plugin and sounds update. I have just tested it and it still works in the way I use it and seems very stable. I havenít been through all the bugs I know of yet. Also waiting for the list of what has been updated.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

    Comment


    • #3
      For those asking for a TD17 preset one now exists.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

      Comment


      • #4
        Also a preset has been added for the aD5, although the cymbals still don't choke (they do in SSD5 and AD2). EDIT: I see in the release notes that there is a "single choke" mode added. I'll have to give this a try to see if that fixes chokes for the ATV.

        Release notes are now up. Looks like they've done some work on the sound library to improve Hi-hat transmuting. That's promising.
        Last edited by molson; 04-26-19, 07:17 AM.
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Also noticed that NY Studios Vol 2 is on sale this weekend for $48 ($43 from Thomann US). That's a no-brainer if you don't have it already.
          Last edited by molson; 04-26-19, 07:28 AM.
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by molson View Post
            Also a preset has been added for the aD5, although the cymbals still don't choke (they do in SSD5 and AD2). EDIT: I see in the release notes that there is a "single choke" mode added. I'll have to give this a try to see if that fixes chokes for the ATV.

            Release notes are now up. Looks like they've done some work on the sound library to improve Hi-hat transmuting. That's promising.
            Definitely intrigued by the hi-hat updates. Iíve decided I have to try a Mimic, so Iím selling Superior, but I may come back one day, especially if everybodyís feeling great about hat performance.
            Meet The Stewards!
            https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
            https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for posting the NY studios deal. Just purchased it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

                Definitely intrigued by the hi-hat updates. Iíve decided I have to try a Mimic, so Iím selling Superior, but I may come back one day, especially if everybodyís feeling great about hat performance.
                That's exactly what I did. Sold SD3 and got a Mimic. Fast forward and now I've re-purchased SD3 and my Mimic is sitting idle.
                Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nycvape View Post
                  Thanks for posting the NY studios deal. Just purchased it.
                  Me too - I didn't have that one. For the price it's fantastic.
                  Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by molson View Post
                    That's exactly what I did. Sold SD3 and got a Mimic. Fast forward and now I've re-purchased SD3 and my Mimic is sitting idle.
                    I'm seeing a positive response on social media already to the hi-hat adjustments. I'm pretty impressed that Toontrack stepped up and solved this issue, especially given that people have been wrestling with the problems of a moving hat with a VST for a LONG time.
                    Meet The Stewards!
                    https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                    https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

                      I'm seeing a positive response on social media already to the hi-hat adjustments. I'm pretty impressed that Toontrack stepped up and solved this issue, especially given that people have been wrestling with the problems of a moving hat with a VST for a LONG time.
                      Would you be able to provide a link or perhaps a description of what thread you saw this? I'd like to read up on it. Thanks!
                      ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

                        I'm seeing a positive response on social media already to the hi-hat adjustments. I'm pretty impressed that Toontrack stepped up and solved this issue, especially given that people have been wrestling with the problems of a moving hat with a VST for a LONG time.
                        You cannot get any direct performance like inside a module, you are mixing 2 engines + toontrack sampling and articulation can cause issue on extra tight to close and open. What you are reading is more usable then highly performance hihat. You can read lots of stuff but mixing\misleading reports on the net.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 04-26-19, 07:30 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post

                          Would you be able to provide a link or perhaps a description of what thread you saw this? I'd like to read up on it. Thanks!
                          I saw two posts in rapid succession on Facebook--I think they're in the E-drums World and 65 Drums groups--but it turns out they were both authored by Andy Selway, the drummer for KMFDM. Still, that's meaningful to me, in that he uses SD3 professionally and has had plenty to say about his struggles with the VH-11/Superior combo. Maybe it's too early to say that Toontrack has solved the problem, but it sure seems like they took a step in the right direction.

                          And that leads me to your point, Chris. I'm sure you're right--it's a point that you and others have made many times before--and I don't personally need convincing; I'm switching to a Mimic in large part due to what I've heard about its hi-hat. But even if the SD3 hat is not perfect (and I'm not certain that any e-hat deserves that term, though I'm hoping that the Mimic will change my mind), the improvements are something to celebrate, in my view. The Mimic and other top-shelf modules are way expensive, and VSTs are a viable option for many e-drummers. Plus, many of them sound GREAT, and SD3 is at the top of that heap, I think, so it's awesome that drummers will be able to get even more out of it. I made a few recordings with it myself and was positively stoked with the results; I just couldn't get everything I wanted out of the hat response.

                          But beyond that, it's pretty neat to see Toontrack respond to the needs of the e-drum community. Pretty clear to see that it is growing in size, and perhaps now in influence as well.
                          Meet The Stewards!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
                          https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                          https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That is exactly why post can be confusing, he was using td12 and vh11, his hihat clutch was all wrong and badly setup at base he posted video before, secondly, he play punk style, there is big difference on playing style and deep performance.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 04-26-19, 10:39 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                              That is exactly why post can be confusing, he was using td12 and vh11, his hihat clutch was all wrong and badly setup at base he posted video before, secondly, he play punk style, there is big difference on playing style and deep performance.
                              Well jeez, if heís now getting good results even with an incorrect setup and a style that doesnít translate well to e-hats, the updated algorithm must really be great!

                              Meet The Stewards!
                              https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                              https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X