Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sample rate do you run your VST at?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sample rate do you run your VST at?

For those of you who play your electronic drums into a VST, what sample rate do you run at?
    50.00%
    12.50%
    18.75%
    >96K
    12.50%
    Don't know
    6.25%

I run whatever the native sample rate of the sound library is.

For SD3 / SSD5 that's 44.1 kHz / 24 bit.

I'm just following the principle of not introducing any artificial conversions if I don't need too. I need reliable MP3 playback, gaming, and I'm happy with my latency.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

96Khz and above, require lot of CPU usage and can make issue with multiple plugins used, multi-track audio, pop, crack, not recommended, 24bit + 98KHz> is great for audio recording with low floor noise ratio, for playback you won't see difference.
      Last edited by Chris K; 04-19-19, 10:22 PM.

Comment

176K .
        not for quality, but for Low latency.
        Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
          176K .
          not for quality, but for Low latency.
          to expand on that: with high sample rates I can do a Little lower latency figures with way more resilience against jitters. 176KHz and 160 Samples Buffer seems to work better in my Setting thant 44 KHZ and 24 Samples.

Might be because I just use Stereo out, if I put stress on the CPU with >10 Outs and more effects it might be valuable to go with lower sample rates.
          Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

to expand on that: with high sample rates I can do a Little lower latency figures with way more resilience against jitters. 176KHz and 160 Samples Buffer seems to work better in my Setting thant 44 KHZ and 24 Samples.

Might be because I just use Stereo out, if I put stress on the CPU with >10 Outs and more effects it might be valuable to go with lower sample rates.
            That's pretty interesting. I used to use a Tascam 16x08 as my interface when running VSTs, and I definitely thought latency was better with higher sample rates. Subsequent research convinced me I was likely mistaken. I've been using the TD17 as my interface of late, but I'll have to play around with sample rates for my other interfaces.
            Meet The Stewards!
            https://www.facebook.com/Stewards.music/
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
            https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

After some additional testing, I backed down my sample rate to 44.1 kHz / 32-bit buffer size. Iím pushing output through a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre in Cubase 10. Latency is now 2.404 ms with no hit to quality... The same studio setting works just fine with SSD5, EZD2, GGD Halpern, and GGD M&M and Iím able to stack my VSTi libraries concurrently and select which instruments I want pulled from each to create my ideal mix.
              Last edited by rdubu; 05-10-19, 11:03 AM.
              Alesis Strike module and pro pads | ATV cymbals | Tama HW and pedals

Comment

32 sample buffer @ 44.1KHz for me. I haven't done any testing but the Gearslutz Low Latency DB has the Quantum @2.085ms measured RTL at these settings. I don't see the need to push it any further quite frankly.
                Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

It's been a while since I've used my SD3 VST but I recall something like 64 sample buffers @ 44.1 KHz for me.

A friend who does a lot of audio/video editing recommended to me that anytime I record audio from my Vdrums and record video using a separate camera and I using a video editing software to line up the audio and video together, to run my VST at 48 KHz instead since everything will line up the best.
                  Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
                  Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
                    A friend who does a lot of audio/video editing recommended to me that anytime I record audio from my Vdrums and record video using a separate camera and I using a video editing software to line up the audio and video together, to run my VST at 48 KHz instead since everything will line up the best.
                    Exactly what I do. It can also cut down on render time. I run everything at 48 for this very reason.

edit: By the way, syncing can be done regardless, in most widely used apps... but YouTube uses 48k. This is why I use 48k. It records at the same rate, and renders the same audio. (don't use my videos to judge... I started doing this since my last uploads) It also cuts down on render time because of this. (in Premiere, anyway)
                    Alan
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X