Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone else think the free kit for SSD5 kinda sucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterson
    replied
    clipping issue doesn't seem to happen if i launch ezdrummer from daw (tracktion) or from nano loader instead of the ezdrummer launcher itself

might be a bit higher latency, not sure, but seems to have completely resolved clipping issue

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    Originally posted by winterson View Post
    any familiarity with M-Audio USB MIDIsport 2x2? doesn't appear to have a headphone jack though
    It doesnít have a headphone jack as it is a midi interface only and not an audio interface. If you want an audio interface then this is not the right gear.

Leave a comment:

• winterson
    replied
    any familiarity with M-Audio USB MIDIsport 2x2? doesn't appear to have a headphone jack though

Leave a comment:

• winterson
    replied
    do you connect the kit to the audio interface then to the computer or kit to the computer to the audio interface to your headphones/speaker?

gonna have to go through this list. some of these are fairly pricey ($200+)

Leave a comment:

• molson
    replied
    should just any audio interface work or are there any specific features/specs i would need? would rather buy something cheap off kijiji if i can
    You want the lowest latency you can afford. Gearslutz has a great database listing round trip latency for many interfaces. Notably absent are the inexpensive Zoom interfaces (UAC-2 and TAC-2). I've measured my UAC-2 at 3.5ms (32 samples/48Khz). My Presonus Quantum 2 measures 2ms but is more expensive.
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...data-base.html
    Last edited by molson; 05-31-19, 01:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• winterson
    replied
    should just any audio interface work or are there any specific features/specs i would need? would rather buy something cheap off kijiji if i can

superior drummer 3 seems to be the gold standard from all i've heard of it, but as far as i know you can only get it by downloading it after purchasing a license and the minimum size is like 40 GB. i don't have home internet anymore so nooo way i'm gonna be able to do that. ezdrummer was a big enough pain in the ass hot spotting my phone's data plan (and having to restart the download when it stopped midway the first time). basically nuked my 8GB limit for the month....

Leave a comment:

• rdubu
    replied
    are there any particular retailers that still carry physical copies of these programs? long and mcquade seems to only list them as you buy a download code and these file sizes aren't something i can accommodate by hot spotting my phone data...

also still trying to figure out this clipping issue if anyone has any familiarity with that sort of issue. my PC has 4x the required RAM (8GB, google says 2 is required), running windows 7, not sure if it's that my soundcard is too **** (PC is a sony vaio laptop that's a few years old). also my yamaha cymbal isn't triggering properly again, just like on the TD-17 aux port... starting to wonder if something is wrong with the cymbal itself but it works fine half the time

do i need separate stand alone audio interface like a scarlett focusrite to run ezdrummer properly or should it be able to work with just the roland um-one midi to usb cable?
    Definitely recommend a stand alone I/O module for playback... I had a few issues controlling buffer settings and the ASIO4ALL drivers are sh!t in my opinion. I run a Focusrite Clarett, but Scarlett line is solid from all of the reviews Iíve seen lately.

Aa for EZd2 - Itís a big plunge, but Iíd opt for SD3 over EZd2 if youíre really looking for solid performance and minimal triggering / playback issues. Although I absolutely LOVED the tones and sample quality of the EZd2 core and EZX libraries, I struggled with custom midi mapping and overall performance and in the end found SD3 to be both more customizable and more stable for my live playing and tracking needs. The good news is, any investments in EZd2 transfer over to SD3 so itís not a complete waste of time or money...

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    Originally posted by molson View Post
    I find SD3 to trigger wonderfully - so much so that my Mimic has been gathering dust for months now. EZD2 is pretty good but lacks the hi-hat fine tuning that I think is critical.
    That's awesome. I used to trigger SD3 with my TD-50 which gave you all the options of PS. In the end the lackluster higher velocity hits, Hotspotting and awful, staggered HH triggering left me flat not to mention the inherent latency with triggering VST's. I couldn't imagine a Mimic gathering dust while I triggered SD3 but as I said imo. I'm sure you have it dialed in and it's great you are enjoying it.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 05-30-19, 05:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• winterson
    replied
    are there any particular retailers that still carry physical copies of these programs? long and mcquade seems to only list them as you buy a download code and these file sizes aren't something i can accommodate by hot spotting my phone data...

also still trying to figure out this clipping issue if anyone has any familiarity with that sort of issue. my PC has 4x the required RAM (8GB, google says 2 is required), running windows 7, not sure if it's that my soundcard is too **** (PC is a sony vaio laptop that's a few years old). also my yamaha cymbal isn't triggering properly again, just like on the TD-17 aux port... starting to wonder if something is wrong with the cymbal itself but it works fine half the time

do i need separate stand alone audio interface like a scarlett focusrite to run ezdrummer properly or should it be able to work with just the roland um-one midi to usb cable?
    Last edited by winterson; 05-30-19, 12:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    Agreed and is even better after the latest updates. I play uses a pair of beyerdynamic DT1770 headphones (not 770) and the realism is incredible with SD3. I feel like Iím playing a real kit. The space round the drum parts and ambience is brilliant. SSD5 sounds ok but it also sounds shut in compared SD3 which is in a different league.

Leave a comment:

• molson
    replied
    I find SD3 to trigger wonderfully - so much so that my Mimic has been gathering dust for months now. EZD2 is pretty good but lacks the hi-hat fine tuning that I think is critical.

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    Originally posted by [h=2
    anyone else think the free kit for SSD5 kinda sucks?[/h]
    Kind of, but I think all VST/AU's potentially kind of suck for e drums. Programming, absolutely. A dream for producers, keyboardists and guitar and bass players. Even singers. Triggering by an e kit? Not as much. The free kit is a nice offering, other SSD5 kits certainly sound better. Imo.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 05-29-19, 11:20 PM. Reason: long winded

Leave a comment:

• winterson
    replied
    messing around with ezdrummer 2 now, have some issues to figure out (ex: clipping at higher tempo if i move around the kit too much) but i like this one. sounds are great and interface is soooo much better than the mess that is SSD5.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    It's depend what you are doing, for recording, Bfd3 default room suck sound bad on a mix, most AD room sound harss. If you are using vst for only playing drum without recording and production, these can sound good, but on recording and mix it's another story, the fact is SSD are used on many popular record from many top 40 band for reason, it works and cut troughs. Too much raw sound\ dead you will need to process them a lot and works more then it should. On ssd you need plugin's to have eq and compressor etc, there is no FX, not using cheap built in EQ\Compressor on the vst. Slate plugins are ranked top on the market simulate 95% close of original high quality hardware rack fx which cost tons of $$, these plugins are used with pro production. Using deluxe 1 and 2 are raw require processing. There is few expansion pack for SSD.
    Last edited by Chris K; 04-23-19, 12:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mkok
    replied
    I can answer the questions about SD3. So itís a bit messy to use with your own samples to create multi layers as you have to create a stack and then set velocity ranges for each one. Saying that it is possible. Yes you can layer internal samples with each other or with external samples on the same trigger note.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X