Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best VST package for TD12

Hi all

I am just about to re-enter the world of VST plus Roland kit and I need some advice.

I have a TD12 from a few years back with mesh heads, the snare pad being slightly bigger than the others. I have the VH11 hi-hat.

Yonks ago a mate came round with an EZ drummer set up, which was fine but the hi-hat didn't work (or we didn't set it up right). The recordings were therefore a bit weird without any hats. Then I bought BFD2, and although it was better I still couldn't get the hats to work properly. After one helluva lot of tinkering around the hats decided they would open and shut for that disco effect, but there was no way to get the 'wash' sound you get when you bash half-open hats. So that wasn't a total success either, with me resorting to hitting a crash instead of washing out on hats.

Now that I'm disillusioned with recording a live kit in studios (what the hell for: everything ends up being either replaced or augmented by a sample by the time you get to mix stage, and the editing can be a pain), I want to go for it again using Roland plus VST (or just Roland if the sounds are good enough), but I am seriously worried about the hats in VST.

So, question: what's the best VST program to use to get a proper hat sound, with a tight closed sound, a big open wash, and neat Purdeys. And a footsplash! That is, what's the most user-friendly or hat-friendly VST?

Cheers
    Progsmacker

Superior Drummer 3 has an excellent hi-hat calibration and fine-tuning feature. There's a video by Mike Luke covering it in depth. It's actually improved even more since then with the newer SD3 update.

https://youtu.be/RN0qsbVgUyw
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I have to agree with molson.
      My VH10 hi-hat works quite well with SD3 with just a little fine-tuning and the sounds are really well done.

Comment

The other benefit of SD3 is positional sensing support.

Really awesome software if you're willing to put in some time.

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
          The other benefit of SD3 is positional sensing support.

Really awesome software if you're willing to put in some time.
          And if not, Addictive Drums 2 is a more affordable, easy Option with flexible Hi Hat Settings. Of Course in many regards nowhere close to SD3, but it depends on your Needs and Goalds.

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Many thanks guys. I will have a look at that tutorial.

I've located another tutorial by a guy called Geoff Fry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufil...&v=McPHkKWbCZw

which tells about how to set up your VH11 in the Roland brain. It's short so please have a quick look.

Someone said to me last time, it's not much good trying to get your VST hat to work if your 'within-Roland' hat isn't set up properly, so I'm going to use this video to get things working unless you guys have a better option or advice. TBH I've never been that thrilled with the VH11 (I preferred my old TD7 pad and pedal actually!) and of course I'm wondering if it's just my set-up that's dodgy.

Cheers P.
            Last edited by progsmacker; 04-10-19, 04:02 AM.

Comment

and if not 2.. just use the hihat sounds from roland td-12 (audio) ..i used hihat from superior 2 and bfd-2 but the hihat action didn't feel fast enough
              with internal roland sounds no problem (and -for me- enough variations) ... (it could have been my computer set-up latency with vst hihat)
              | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

And if not, Addictive Drums 2 is a more affordable, easy Option with flexible Hi Hat Settings. Of Course in many regards nowhere close to SD3, but it depends on your Needs and Goalds.
                Exactly. Both AD2 and EZD2 have demo versions that are worth trying. EZD2 has some limited tweaking options but it seems to work fairly well on the Roland preset.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkussion View Post
                  I have to agree with molson.
                  My VH10 hi-hat works quite well with SD3 with just a little fine-tuning and the sounds are really well done.
                  Interesting. What's your module?

I'm using a VH-11 with the TD-17, and I've struggled with the hi-hat. Digging through the forums, I have learned that this is a classic problem. Wondering if the VH-10 would be a sufficient improvement, or if I should go with an FD-7, which seems to solve some of the issues that are inherent to the floating design (and are exacerbated when using a floating hat with a VST).

To the OP, I will note that my hi-hat struggles were frustrating enough that I put the software up for sale, so you might have to work for the results you're wanting. However, after spending some additional time over the last few days, I've now gotten close enough that I've decided not to sell after all--and man, does SD3 sound GREAT.
                  Check out The Stewards on any major streaming platform, including the ones below.
                  Soundcloud - https://soundcloud.com/the-stewards
                  Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DkksGVF7ujfj7KupB6wdD
                  Deezer - https://www.deezer.com/us/artist/51527662

Comment

Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

Interesting. What's your module?

I'm using a VH-11 with the TD-17, and I've struggled with the hi-hat. Digging through the forums, I have learned that this is a classic problem. Wondering if the VH-10 would be a sufficient improvement, or if I should go with an FD-7, which seems to solve some of the issues that are inherent to the floating design (and are exacerbated when using a floating hat with a VST).

To the OP, I will note that my hi-hat struggles were frustrating enough that I put the software up for sale, so you might have to work for the results you're wanting. However, after spending some additional time over the last few days, I've now gotten close enough that I've decided not to sell after all--and man, does SD3 sound GREAT.
                    Hi, I've got the same setup as you. Did you manage to get the Midi hits in SD3 to reflect what you're hitting on the TD17? Mine is ridiculously quiet. All triggers fine, but the velocity isn't right at all.
                    Roland TDK17KVX + VExpressions Series 3 Kits
                    Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
                    Mapex P800 Single Pedal
                    Mapex Throne

Comment

Originally posted by badboybubby View Post

Hi, I've got the same setup as you. Did you manage to get the Midi hits in SD3 to reflect what you're hitting on the TD17? Mine is ridiculously quiet. All triggers fine, but the velocity isn't right at all.

Hey man, I haven't had that problem, but I know that plenty of people have struggled with output from SD3. Let's walk through a few considerations.

First, are you sure it's a problem with MIDI velocity and not the volume of the audio SD3 is returning? If you're positive that the MIDI notes are too low, then that's an issue on the module side; you'll need to crank up the sensitivity of your pads to ensure your module is generating high-velocity notes for SD3 to process.

If it turns out that the MIDI data is just fine, then it's a matter of audio. There are a few things you can do. There is a slider in the bottom right-hand side of the SD3 window that allows you to turn the output up or down. This is a good place to start.

There is also the question of monitoring. I'm listening back through my module, which is set to Vendor mode with Local Control turned off. If you're doing the same thing, go to your USB settings (under Setup) and crank up the "USB Input Gain." It's set to -18 db by default. I knew people were struggling with SD3 volume, so I did this before I even got started and thus really haven't had many issues.

Within SD3, you'll find that the presets are louder and punchier than the default kit (and the other kits), owing to EQ, compression, and so forth. That often makes them good choices for playing in real time, especially if you're struggling with volume.

Now, if it turns out that the MIDI data is NOT fine, and if you've already tried to dial in your module, the only possibility that springs to my mind is that your DAW--if you're not running SD3 standalone--might be reinterpreting the MIDI before it reaches the plugin. This is rare, but not without precedent. It'd be something you could dig into if necessary.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
                      Check out The Stewards on any major streaming platform, including the ones below.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStewards View Post

There is also the question of monitoring. I'm listening back through my module, which is set to Vendor mode with Local Control turned off. If you're doing the same thing, go to your USB settings (under Setup) and crank up the "USB Input Gain." It's set to -18 db by default. I knew people were struggling with SD3 volume, so I did this before I even got started and thus really haven't had many issues.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise it was possible to listen back through the TM17 Drum Module? Is it actually possible to have the SD sounds playing back through the module? I'd be really grateful if you could assist me with this?

Thanks

Scott

Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
                        Mapex P800 Single Pedal
                        Mapex Throne

Comment

Originally posted by badboybubby View Post

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realise it was possible to listen back through the TM17 Drum Module? Is it actually possible to have the SD sounds playing back through the module? I'd be really grateful if you could assist me with this?

Thanks

Scott
                          It is indeed. Now, to be clear, you can't load the SD sounds onto the module, but you can use the module as an interface for monitoring SD in real time.

There are a few ways of going about this, but this is the easiest in my estimation:

- Download TD-17 driver from Roland site; install on computer
                          - Under USB settings in module, change to "Vendor" mode (default is "Generic")
                          - Under MIDI settings in module, turn "Local Control" off (default is ON; turning off will stop the module from producing its own sounds)
                          - Run USB from module to computer
                          - Load up SD3 (or DAW); set TD-17 as your interface for MIDI input and audio output
                          - Mess with SD3 (or DAW) buffer settings to reduce latency as much as possible; the lower the buffer setting, the better

And you'll be in business.

Good luck!

Comment

Brilliant, got it going. Latency is acceptable too, I'm using the ASIO drivers on my i7 pc.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Scott
                            Mapex H800 Hi-Hat
                            Mapex P800 Single Pedal
                            Mapex Throne

Comment

You bet! Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X