Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epiphany regarding VST (Addictive Drums)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany regarding VST (Addictive Drums)

I'm trying to go slow as regards building up an e-drum setup, as many times in the past I have thought that some particular piece of gear would be "the one" to unlock whatever creative roadblock I'm encountering. and you know how that goes, it almost never is. So I have my 6 rubber pads and couple of cheapo switch pedals going into a DDrum DDTI, and it seems to work OK. I started off by routing the MIDI over to the Korg 05 R/W which has something like 10 drum kits on various presets. I'm not all that demanding in terms of tones etc. however the lack of tonal variation on a 1:1 mapping of MIDI note to sample does get slightly annoying after awhile.

So last night I am goofing around in SONAR and I see if I have any drum instruments. Oh look, I have some Addictive Drums Rock Kit and patterns. So I connect that in such a way that I can audition the sounds from my MIDI keyboard. Whoa! I have something like 6 or 7 high hat variations. Cymbals all over the place with choke capability on the next door black key. Tom variations! This flexibility could really add to the realism of drum tracks! Right?.... but if you can still only trigger one sound from one pad, or even two sounds with a dual zone pad, you haven't gained very much because most of those variations are still not directly available.

I guess I could just map the drum triggers to the "main" sound for each pad. Later in MIDI editing, could move those notes around to supply some of the sonic variation. This of course is where the process starts devolving into mindless drudgery as individual drum hits are being edited and auditioned in 1-bar chunks. I have to have a lot of persistence to stick with things like that. I'm just making my own music, nobody's paying me for it, and probably nobody else would ever care about this either - my music would still suck. I could listen to my mixes for a long time before I thought that mixing up all the hi-hat samples was the most important thing to do. It's just such a tantalizing opportunity going to waste!

I was surprised recently, I started with the Korg 05 playing drums triggered from the keyboard. Once I got some rhythm guitar and bass and keyboards in there the drums didn't bug me at all.

It just seems a shame that all that variation available in the VST instrument is locked-out from being triggered by a kit unless you have multiple pads for each sound. Or one could just give up and do all drum tracks via keyboard. Gah.

Or... is there some way that people have devised, e.g. an expression pedal or something, that would let you control "which" hi-hat sample is getting triggered?

I think your missing something. So for example with my Roland td30 I have a hi hat (as do other Roland Yamaha mimic ) that sends continuous controller messages that means the vst software changes between the different fully closed to fully open as well as foot chick. Positional sensing on my snare and ride means those extra samples are available too and my cymbals have tip and edge as well as choke when you grab them. The DDTI is very limited and poor at triggering but is probably still better than doing via a keyboard. A relatively cheap Roland kit will give you a lot of what you want but depends on if you have funds or that is a priority but in general ekits can trigger most of the articulations. Easily enough to get a realistic sound.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Well, I see what you mean. In my case I'm not coming from having developed any great amount of drum technique. I can bang on things with sticks in a semi rhythmic fashion. I cannot at this moment combine that with my feet. So whatever I do will involve some learning. I'm unlikely to drop $1000 on a drum kit until such time I've convinced myself that my current setup is a gigantic limitation. I currently have a half dozen tunes that could use drum parts done this way. I'm even considering just getting a real hi hat eventually rather than go through all the back flips to try to simulate one.

The question remains though - I checked this AD patch and it's got a full octave of high hat sounds. 5 or 6 snares. If you are triggering these sounds via MIDI, is there some common way to vary the currently selected sample?
      Last edited by Digital Larry; 04-07-19, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X