Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can AD2 recognize and separate two different drum modules in midi?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can AD2 recognize and separate two different drum modules in midi?

I have combined two Roland kits to make a custom kit and I want to use Addictive Drums 2 either as a stand alone or with a DAW like FL Studio or Reaper to trigger the extra pads and cymbals but I am having problems because the signals are being duplicated. The pads on the original kit a Roland TD17KV trigger just fine but the pads on the added kit a Roland TD11K mimic the corresponding pads on the TD17KV. I tried to get the TD11K pads to "learn" new pieces but when I did that it would change the corresponding pads on the TD17KV to learn that piece also instead of staying as it should be. How can I get Addictive Drums 2 to recognize each pad separately? I have the kits set up using a midi cable out for each module going into a midi splitter which is plugged into my Presonus Audiobox 22VSL interface then USB out to my laptop. I bet this is probably a complex mapping fix. But I am hoping I am just missing a simple set up setting. In any case, are there any of you gurus out there that know how to fix this?

Guess you are missing something simple: You would have to Change the MIDI Notes the TD11 generates in the Module Settings: If both Moduls generate the same notes, AD2 has no Chance of separating them.
    Just choose values and assign them to whatever you want in AD2.

Am i missing something?
    Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckH View Post
      I have combined two Roland kits to make a custom kit and I want to use Addictive Drums 2 either as a stand alone or with a DAW like FL Studio or Reaper to trigger the extra pads and cymbals
      Are you trying to send both modules to the AD2 or just one?

If just one, then connect only that module to the computer. If it's both, could you load two instances of AD2 and just use different midi channels?
      •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
      •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
      •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

I will try to change the midi notes in the module and in AD2 if I can figure out how. Then I will try to use two instances of AD2 with different midi ins. Thank's guys. I did see something else that might work. There is a feature in AD2 that allows you to drag and drop kit pieces onto the piano board which assigns that kit piece to a note and I am wondering if this could be a workaround to my issue. I'll let you know.

Comment

Update on the module combining issue. I tried to work with both modules through midi using a midi splitter into an interface into a laptop. That does not work in Addictive Drums 2 to separate the two drum modules to get each pad to trigger on it's own. So I was only able to use one drum module through midi through the interface and the other one I used audio L/R out to my interface. That way I could still use Addictive Drums 2 for my main kit but I had to settle for the sounds coming from my TD11k for the other, but I can still mix in a DAW or go live with both kits combined. I have seen other people asking similar questions about this issue. Spread the word to help them out too.

Comment

Sparating the midi physically makes no difference, you can even daisy chain through one port but you have to set different midi channels for different devices internally in both modules and the daw. So one module can be on ch10, and the other ch11 (or any other two out of 16 midi channels), and one instance of AD2 can reiceve midi from ch10 and the other from ch11. Other possibility is to keep them on the same channel and the same AD2 (again, talking about the software, not the physical ports) but to change the midi notes on one of them to correspond with different elements on the AD2.
            •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
              Other possibility is to keep them on the same channel and the same AD2 (again, talking about the software, not the physical ports) but to change the midi notes on one of them to correspond with different elements on the AD2.
              What I said days ago. Easiest and most reliable solution for sure, just a little work one time.

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box and Roland Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Triggering AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

What I said days ago. Easiest and most reliable solution for sure, just a little work one time.
                You did, but I think OP was searching for a way to avoid doing it or to simplify the solution. I just rephrased to put in the same context. Not all drummers are proficient in midi and vst settings, though reading the manual carefully could make an improvement

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

You did, but I think OP was searching for a way to avoid doing it or to simplify the solution. I just rephrased to put in the same context. Not all drummers are proficient in midi and vst settings, though reading the manual carefully could make an improvement
                  Good Point. I did not know sh.. About that stuff a year ago, I should not asume everybody else does know how it works.

@Chuck_H from your Postings I think you realized what we suggested (Changing the MIDI Note values on the TD11 to values not used on the TD17, assignig those vakues to your Instruments in AD2). In the DAW you can use AD2 on 2 Tracks, one with USB Midi IN and one with the MIDI from your Audio Interface.

Way better than using a mix of Module and VST Sounds, IMHO.

PS: You would think in 2019 it would be possible for a TD17 to have a MIDI IN (DIN or even USB... you know, that Stuff from the future), and possibly even the Module does a standard Mapping automatically for you. But hey, if you want a TD11 owner to buy a TD50 and not just a TD17, than that is not an Option.
                  At some Point they just might be wondering why many guys that used Roland forever suddenly use Pearl and 2Box Modules.

Comment

I used to use two modules to trigger SD2. I used Cubase where you can set the midi input to any so it would receive from both sources and forward to the vsti. Still needs the notes mapping in one of the modules though.
                    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                    X