Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really need that much CPU Power for VSTs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trouble with reasoning that a faster CPU gives lower latency, is that it is only half true - a case can always be argued for upgrading, but it's not the complete answer.

Tests have shown a few 12+ year old laptops have been proven to run with high-end audio interfaces with below 4ms latency. From my own experience; I've used the same audio interface on a overclocked 8700K and a 9 year old Core2Quad with the same RTL numbers.

I think 2 things about all this;
    1. Audio interfaces: You get what you pay for, generally speaking, the lowest latencies are achievable on the high-end interfaces - although plenty of exceptions with specific vendors exist. The few that tailor specifically for real time performance and have excellent driver support, do even better for the buck. Especially if you don't need multiple channels ,there is a saving to be had.
    2. CPU / PC performance: Gives you the capacity to run low latencies with larger projects and more power hungry VSTs, not the ability to reduce latency beyond the limits of your audio interface.
    Last edited by Kabonfaiba; 03-28-19, 06:13 AM.
    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
    Community Drum Module Document
    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Sounds reasonable to me. That means if I manage to find 700 Euro somewhere, they go to RME, not Intel
      Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

Got a used I7 4790K that`s quite a bit faster than my previous Laptop and it shaves About 1ms of the Latency with Stereo Out from VST, and it has even WAY more effect when using multiple Outs.
        I am now down to 7ms, so adding a RME Interface is not a necessary expense.
        Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

The sound quality of an internal audio card is rarely as good as an external one. Latency is one thing and then sound quality is another.
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I use a Zoom UAC-2 USB 3.0 Interface. Very fast, but I needed a dedicated Headphone Amp for my phones.

No Chance with an on Board Sound Card or the Interface in the TD11 to reach either Quality or latency that close to that.

Would love to have a RME HDSP PCIe Interface, but can not justify that expense to myself just to get even farther down from 7 ms Latency.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
              I use a Zoom UAC-2 USB 3.0 Interface. Very fast, but I needed a dedicated Headphone Amp for my phones.

No Chance with an on Board Sound Card or the Interface in the TD11 to reach either Quality or latency that close to that.

Would love to have a RME HDSP PCIe Interface, but can not justify that expense to myself just to get even farther down from 7 ms Latency.

Agree - the Zoom is very fast and vastly under-rated. My "highly scientific" test is to route the VST (SD3) audio back through my module aux-in (aD5) and layer the sounds. With a tight snare in SD3 and the aD5 I can get near perfect layering (no "flamming"). That's on old, cheap equipment.

The one thing I don't like is that the OSX driver won't let me select lower than 64 samples in SD3. In Windows I can go as low as 24, although 32 is the sweet spot for me.
              Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

Working...
              X