Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really need that much CPU Power for VSTs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really need that much CPU Power for VSTs?

I use an Audio interface with a Core i7 2nd gen. Laptop (2013) to trigger SSD5 and Perfect drums. Think About getting EZ Drummer 2.
    It seems the CPU Usage for my setup is pretty close to zero since I use the external audio interface.

Is it really that helpful to have a state of the art PC or are the Computers nowadays underwhelmed with this Task and you could just pick up any PC with at least 8 GB of RAM (as long as you don`t have a lot of Instruments and Superiour Drummer 3 in your DAW, I am talking About playing along to Music with EZ Drummer or Perfect Drums, not professional recordings)?

I am asking because I use the Laptop for everything, not only drumming, and I would love to have dedicated VST-Machine, but simply cannot justify spending a lot of Money just for this convienience.

You can get PCs with third Gen. i5 CPUs for 100 Euro used, that + a SSD would be an option for me.
    Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

I have a 2012 HP Elitebook (3rd gen i7) / 8Gb Ram and 512Gb SSD. Along with a relatively cheap Zoom UAC-2 USB interface. I use SD3 and EZD2 with no noticeable lag. Latency drives me nuts and this setup is perfectly acceptable.
    Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded

Comment

I use a 2012 MacBook Pro i7, 8gb and an upgraded SSD. I do have a nice Focusrite Clarette 8pre and connect via Thunderbolt which helps. No issues with SD3, it runs extremely smooth.
      ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

With one VST running, you're probably fine. If you begin to run multiple multitrack VST's and FX chains, you will notice static coming through.
        | redgearmusic.com | soundcloud | twitter | YouTube | Roland TD-30KSE Kit |

Comment

If budget allows, try aim to get Intel Core i5 or upwards and avoid low TDP power designations.

e.g. Buy: i3-8100H, i5-8300H. Avoid: i3-8109U, i5-8259U.
          ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
          Community Drum Module Document
          PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

Had a MacBookPro from 2008 that was triggering SD2 reliably just a couple years ago. Motherboard failure retired that one.

CPU from the last 5-7 years will be plenty... what's more important is GOOD DRIVERS with the sound card, a SSD drive to load the kits quickly, and at least 8+G RAM to keep the kits playing from memory, reducing clicks and pops by not having to reach into virtual memory.
            DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

with vst's that have bleeds and room mics, don't use too much of those and you'll save a lot of cpu and memory drain..
              some vst's benefit from ssd hard drives as well..
              | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                with vst's that have bleeds and room mics, don't use too much of those and you'll save a lot of cpu and memory drain..
                some vst's benefit from ssd hard drives as well..
                Getting an SSD is well worth the investment. For less than $80 you can get 500gb drive. Load times will be so much faster.
                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

I have a really old i7 which I upgraded for about £60 getting a 960 cpu and overclocked to 4ghz (mine was a 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz) and another 12gig of memory making it 18. I only looked when I got SD3 as the kits were getting very large. Cheap upgrade from eBay and a couple of years more use. Latency is dictated a lot by the audio interface. I have been using toontrack from before sd2 and on a slower computer with a terratec sound card and I got low latency back then. Admittedly we used a bit more outboard gear then so cpu and memory do need to be more as itís nearly all in the DAW now.
                  Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

When using pro plugins, record multitrack and especially using 24bit 98khz audio, it's use full CPU at hell. Plugins add latency.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 03-02-19, 02:50 PM.

Comment

EZdrummer 2, SSD4 and AD2 run perfectly fine on a e8600 with 2 gb ram but that was with a pci RME hdsp soundcard. So it doesn't need the latest and greatest cpu or loads of ram. I'll have to admit that when I tried to play an mp3 file in Winamp while running AD2, it began to stutter

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                        When using pro plugins, record multitrack and especially using 24bit 98khz audio, it's use full CPU at hell. Plugins add latency.
                        Matches my latest experience: Very low latency on Laptop with Zoom UAC-2 for SSD5 and AD2 with one Stereo Track out.

If I use 32 Tracks in the DAW Thing look a Little different and I have to add 2ms of Buffer for the PC to process the Signal.

Roland TD11 Module, Pearl Forum, Sonor Snare, Drumtec Design Mesh, 2Box Triggers, Roland Cym., GoEDrum HiHat Ctl with Yamaha PCY135. Trigger ing AD2 and SSD5.

Comment

I now measured the real latency (Impact noise on the pad vs. Sound from the headphone).

TD11 On Board Sounds: 4ms
                          TD11 -> Laptop with Zoom Audio Interface (USB3 for Interface, MIDI DIN for MIDI) -> Headphone Amp: 8ms

I am happy with the result. 8ms is in the range of some Drum Modules, faster than the Strike Pro or Yamaha DTX502 with the built in Sounds.

Comment

Yamaha dtx502 latency is 12ms, it look like strike module is in these range, you owned strike module I guess. I had the Alesis sample rack and the latency was in 9m range as well.
                            Last edited by Chris K; Yesterday, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X