Using Superior Drummer Samples in TD-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Superior Drummer Samples in TD-50

I love my TD 50, but am having a hard time creating a great kit, the one that’s in my head. I have tried artist kits, stock kits, even started from scratch several times with different tuning/processing, but nothing has hit the mark.

So I am now thinking of using Superior Drummer 3 to build my kit, and to then load high and mid velocity samples direct into the TD 50. I would not need the on-board comp, EQ, or FX. I believe SD3 offers a range of tuneable instruments, and good processing. I also have a DAW (Cubase) to support production.

My nagging doubt is that I could do this, only to arrive at the same place but by a different route. I am however prepared to invest the time and money in order to advance my music. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this, and with what results, or any advice on this aspect of v-drums. Many thanks in advance.

You first need to understand loading samples into the 50 will simply act as one-shot samples. The only thing that will change is the dynamic. They will still carry the sampled impact sound. In other words, they will not use variable impact velocities like the Roland engine creates for the internal sounds. Additionally, they will not act as multi-velocity samples like the VST. You may want to experiment a little before going through a lot of extra work.

I'm no VST expert. Other's will provide better info; but I thought you should have a clear understanding of what your result is going to yield in the end.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply, and yes you are right although the TD 50 can provide 2 layers so I can use that to get a bit of velocity expression. It will be a balance between a not so good kit with full velocity expression, and a great kit with limited expression. BTW, I should have said in the OP that the driver is live work - I should have all features available for recording.

Cheers... Don

Comment

Originally posted by Tamablaster View Post
        Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply, and yes you are right although the TD 50 can provide 2 layers so I can use that to get a bit of velocity expression. It will be a balance between a not so good kit with full velocity expression, and a great kit with limited expression. BTW, I should have said in the OP that the driver is live work - I should have all features available for recording.

Cheers... Don
        I understand you were getting at the sub instrument and using a velocity switch type of action. Just wanted you to be aware that it will not sound as good as your VST. That's all.

You are correct. Using this live will be far more forgiving.

Good luck with a very long session of getting it together. I feel your upcoming pain. lol
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Tamablaster View Post
          Hi Alan,
          It will be a balance between a not so good kit with full velocity expression, and a great kit with limited expression.
          Sounds like you are making compromises without getting the desired result. I think you have more options than only two of those, namely triggering vst with your v-drum. Both SD3 and TD50 have great dynamic (TD50 is truly amazing in that aspect) but by loading single samples from one to the other you loose both.

I had a similar experience first time I had to set up TD50 for regular gigs (stock kits, artist kits, layering samples) but eventually managed to make several good kits from scratch and was rewarded with great playability, dynamics and sound quality. If you cannot find a satisfying combination, maybe you should go full VST or even switch to MIMIC which seems like something you'd be happy with.
          °•A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•°
          °•SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•°
          °•Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•°

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post

Sounds like you are making compromises without getting the desired result. I think you have more options than only two of those, namely triggering vst with your v-drum. Both SD3 and TD50 have great dynamic (TD50 is truly amazing in that aspect) but by loading single samples from one to the other you loose both.

I had a similar experience first time I had to set up TD50 for regular gigs (stock kits, artist kits, layering samples) but eventually managed to make several good kits from scratch and was rewarded with great playability, dynamics and sound quality. If you cannot find a satisfying combination, maybe you should go full VST or even switch to MIMIC which seems like something you'd be happy with.
            So this is what a rock and a hard place is like, sheesh, I usually bale before getting to somewhere like this. But actually i did have nagging doubts about abandoning the functionality in the TD 50, and as you rightly pointed out I'm actually doing it twice over. I am going to take my time with the next step, and go back and try to get the TD 50 as good as I can get it.

Thanks to all for the good input, cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X