No announcement yet.

SSD5 at last.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankfully there's a demo version and I was able to see if I could make it run in Linux/Wine/Carla. I had to extract and organise all the library files manually because the wizard failed to do so properly, but once I sorted that out I was very pleased to find that it actually works. The only glitch is that it freezes if you click on any kit item in 'kit view', but using 'cell view' everything works fine.
    MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo Buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. Kit pics thread

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Boo View Post
      ................. and you need a DAW anyway
      No stand alone vst, that's a pity.

Comment

Originally posted by Animalglx View Post
        No stand alone vst, that's a pity.
        Good price and good sound, and a lot of free vsti hosts on the internet.
        SSD5 upgrade cost is HALF of the toontrack expansion pack now )))

https://www.google.ru/search?newwind....0.MLkHmt2QL54
        Last edited by Mr.Boo; 11-07-18, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Good price and good sound, and a lot of free vsti hosts on the internet.
          SSD5 upgrade cost is HALF of the toontrack expansion pack now )))
          Agreed. There's even a a free host called SAVI that launches the VST automatically - feels identical to a standalone.

Downloaded the free version - sounds great.
          Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums

Comment

Is there an actual instrument listing anywhere? I'm curious how much crossover there is with the MIMIC SSD5 sounds. I like it enough to purchase but not if I'm "mostly" covered by the stock MIMIC library.

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
              Is there an actual instrument listing anywhere? I'm curious how much crossover there is with the MIMIC SSD5 sounds. I like it enough to purchase but not if I'm "mostly" covered by the stock MIMIC library.
              on mimic you have no electric instruments and no SSD3 instruments (so called "classic" - older, highly pre processed instruments with no overhead channel and low velocity layer count)

Comment

on mimic you have no electric instruments and no SSD3 instruments (so called "classic" - older, highly pre processed instruments with no overhead channel and low velocity layer count)
                Thanks. In that case I'll just save the $$ for future MIMIC updates.

I do love that the free version of SSD5 is fully functional and not a demo or partial kit.

Comment

In my opinion you need SSD5 if you are doing some studio recording/mixing.
                  There are some shaping tools that would be overkill for a drum module (especially the new fully customizable ADSR envelope where you can change even the attack or release shape).
                  And SSD5 (new deluxe 2 instruments) has two room mics plus some additional FX mics on some instruments AFAIK.

Comment

Here's some great news too, over at gearslutz;

Originally posted by Steven Slate
                    Thanks for the fantastic review! And I have some good news too: we are currently editing a new expansion pack that has some really old and dirty drums that sound NOTHING like I've ever done!

Cheers,
                    Steven
                    ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                    Community Drum Module Document
                    PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

That new expansion sounds promising!

Comment

I installed ssd5 full edition, it sound fantastic, there is new mic added on deluxe 2, on snare there is 2 top mic, 2 bottom head, 2 ring channel mic, etc, much more control on the sound and flexibility, SSD5 is unique on it own. Also Steven said they are listening, for new feature, new instruments sample etc..SSD5 will get supported.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 11-08-18, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Is there diversity in the Tom sounds? From what I heard the had similar sounds. Iíll probably grab the demo and take a listen as could be worth having along side SD3
                          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Downloaded the demo this evening and it runs really well with my aD5 module. The ATV hihat works great, very smooth transitions between closed and open positions. Iím still not a big fan of the SSD5 crashes. Also, just like the Mimc, I didnít see any tip articulations for the crashes, but the full version may be different.
                            ATV aDrums, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Have they added MIDI learn? SSD4 plays and sounds nice but lack of a MIDI learn and mapping.... no good.

Pim
                              Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 16GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD 4.0, Studio Drummer and Abbey Road packs from Native, Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Pimenta View Post
                                Have they added MIDI learn? SSD4 plays and sounds nice but lack of a MIDI learn and mapping.... no good.

Pim
                                No midi learn but midi map profiles preset, for several module, roland, strike, yamaha etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X