Low volume in SD3 with my TD9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low volume in SD3 with my TD9

I just installed SD3 to use with my TD9 and while the mapping of the triggers is fine, the volume is certainly not. Can't seem to reach maximum velocity in SD3 while in AD2 it's perfectly fine. There are a lot more people having problems like that with mostly Roland modules but also with other modules if you search for this on Google.
    Is there a simple solution for this? On the Toontrack forum they suggest changing the sensitivity in the module but that messes up the triggering in AD2 or playing the module itself right? I have to use the midi in of my RME hdsp card (great soundcard btw -> adds only about 2.7 ms latency to the signal) and I'm pretty sure everything is connected the right way as triggering AD2 works flawless. When I preview a kit, midi or mouse click on a drum in SD3 the sound is loud and clear and not like anything when triggered by the TD9. I really want to use SD3 as it has the best sounding drum samples.

It could be that SD3 has a greater dynamic range and therefore sounds quitter. What you need to do is. Record the midi in your DAW and see what the actual velocity of the hits are. If you never reach 127 then it's nothing to do with SD3. Also SD3 has a volume control at the bottom right. It may just have a lower output than expected (I found it was lower than SD2) Push this up a bit as I did.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

You need to adjust the velocity curves in Superior. Not only are there curves per drum, but also separate curves and volumes per articulation!

Comment

Okay that sounds logical. I can't imagine that the midi output of my TD9 is low because AD2 is working fine. I'll look into these velocity curves then.

Comment

I haven't had to change the velocity curves so I would still check the values that are coming in. If you are hitting 127 on a hard hit then try the volume control on SD3
          Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

I've recorded some midi track and the velocity is hitting it's max just fine, when checking the midi track in Reaper. I do need to experiment with the velocity curves in SD3. The dynamics are just way off. As if there's only soft or loud samples and nothing in between, most noticeable on the toms. Don't have that behaviour in AD2 or SSD4. Maybe it's my old pc with a Core2Duo 4 gb of ram but it manages really low latency (2.3 ms overall)

Comment

I must admit Iím not seeing the same problem

Comment

Hey ACSlater.

Reviving this old thread - how did you end up solving this problem?

Thanks
                TD9 v1 > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // TD9 v1 > Scarlett 6i6 > imac running SD3 and Logic // Zendrum > Stompblock > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // ATH-M30x headphones / Yamaha DBR10 // small acoustic kits with Zildjian Ks, plus a few As and Sabians

Comment

Originally posted by jackodrum View Post
                  Hey ACSlater.

Reviving this old thread - how did you end up solving this problem?

Thanks
                  Just pump up the volume Apparently SD3 is more dynamic and needs more volume. In the meantime I switched from a TD9 to a TD25 and it might've gotten a little better.

Comment

SD3 has plenty of velocity layers. If you are used to triggering a library that has a more compressed sound it will sound quieter. Hit it hard and it will knock your head off! Also check out the internal effects. They can crush the sound more if thatís what you want. I personally want it to sound as close to an acoustic kit as possible which SD3 unprocessed does better than all the rest.

Comment

thanks both. like you mkok, iím pretty happy with the standard sounds coming out of sd3. itís still relatively early days for me with it but i did simply up the volume a while back and thatís been working for me. yet to record with it so getting enough level might be another bridge to cross, but iíll worry about that (if i need to) when i get there
                      TD9 v1 > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // TD9 v1 > Scarlett 6i6 > imac running SD3 and Logic // Zendrum > Stompblock > Scarlett 2i4 > macbook running SD3 and Garageband // ATH-M30x headphones / Yamaha DBR10 // small acoustic kits with Zildjian Ks, plus a few As and Sabians

Comment

Working...
                      X