Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland SPD-30 + FD-8: Open hihat over midi to the Roland or a plugin like Battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland SPD-30 + FD-8: Open hihat over midi to the Roland or a plugin like Battery

I've got a SPD-30 + FD-8 that's working great as long as I'm using the onboard Roland sounds AND I'm playing live. If I record midi and send it to the Roland, I only get the closed hihat sound. I've got similar issues trying to control Battery with the Roland combo.

My DAW is Ableton Live and it's seeing 3 discrete midi notes for HH pedal, HH closed, and HH open. It looks like Roland also sends MIDI CC4 with one of those notes to differentiate open and closed, but for something like Battery, I don't think that matters. I *think* I should be able to figure out how to get this to work using choke groups.

Anyone had success using a similar setup? Either sending MIDI to a plugin, or sending MIDI back to the SPD-30 and having it properly interpret the MIDI messages on the way in?

Originally posted by sleepwalker View Post
    I've got a SPD-30 + FD-8 that's working great as long as I'm using the onboard Roland sounds AND I'm playing live. If I record midi and send it to the Roland, I only get the closed hihat sound. I've got similar issues trying to control Battery with the Roland combo.

My DAW is Ableton Live and it's seeing 3 discrete midi notes for HH pedal, HH closed, and HH open. It looks like Roland also sends MIDI CC4 with one of those notes to differentiate open and closed, but for something like Battery, I don't think that matters. I *think* I should be able to figure out how to get this to work using choke groups.

Anyone had success using a similar setup? Either sending MIDI to a plugin, or sending MIDI back to the SPD-30 and having it properly interpret the MIDI messages on the way in?

For the benefit of anyone searching, I've identified the problem to Roland's USB MIDI driver. The SPD-30 responds just fine to the FD-8 hihat over MIDI using the physical MIDI ports. Using USB MIDI, I can't trigger the open hihat most of the time.(in some situations, I can get open hihat, but it changes to closed hihat when retriggering the midi clip).

As for mapping this Roland to Battery or something else. I get 3 midi notes for the open, closed, and closed no stick, so I can get 3 samples out of it. What I lose is the variable settings the Roalnd is capable of. Still looking into this.

Comment

Working...
    X