Ludwig Black Beauty snare from 1922

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ludwig Black Beauty snare from 1922

Hi - me and my friend Jouni Niemi (The guy behind the factory sounds in 2box) have for fun been recording, editing and packed a sample of a very legendary snare into 2box file format. The snare is an old Ludwig Black Beauty snare from 1922. We think it sounds great despite the fact that it is almost 100 years old! :-) Have a listening:

https://youtu.be/N37eaANRRes

Best Regards

Anders
    Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14,13R,15R,12CR,RT-10S&K,2xBT-1,VH-11,-12,-13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 1.30.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Hi again!

If anybody is interested, I just wanted to add that more info about this legendary pack of samples for 2box (the pack consist of 10 different flavours) can be found on http://www.zourman.com

Thanks for watching!

Best regards

Anders
    Sonor Force Stage 2007 and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14,13R,15R,12CR,RT-10S&K,2xBT-1,VH-11,-12,-13 & KD-10, Quartz Triggers, Pintech Dingbat, Triggera 2x D14,D11,120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 1.30.3, Addictive Drums 2.1.7. All ADpaks, Win10 on Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

sounds great! very realistic.. i like the dry ones best.. and next the 10% effect ones ..

Comment

Big thanks! I actually think the effect mix samples is set to about 90% effect ... a result of my ďmore is always moreĒ thinking! :-) However, The samples can easily be adopted in to new packs with completely other mix of upper/under direct mics, room and ambience - we got all sound dimensions in separate stereo tracks - so if anybody have a great suggestion on the mix - your are more than welcome with feedback.

I just wanted to push for the fantastic drum microphones used on these samples from the Swedish company Ehrlund...(also used in SD3...). Sounds incredible good!

If anybody wants the complete story behind sample pack, used equipment, tools, microphones - have a look in the manual of the Black Beauty Snare: https://zourman.com/wp-content/uploa...dwig_BB_10.pdf

Best regards

Anders

Comment

Sounds amazing and one of the best snare drums ever made. I think the first setting in the video is the most balanced. I would love to be able to have this in my Mimic pro with control of all the mics!

Comment

Thanks Peter! This made me very happy to read!

This snare do actually sound fantastic. Yes, me and Jouni already talked about it and it would be very nice to be able to support more platforms - why not Mimic! :-) We will see what happens.

Best regards

Anders

Comment

Sounds great! The snare is probably a little later than 1922 as those strainers weren't introduced until 1925 and the ones from the early twenties usually had 8 lugs (apologies for the nerdiness!)
              Damian Blunt
              Toontrack Quality Assurance Manager
              TD-20 RMP-12 (Snare) PD-125, 2 x PD-105, 1 x KD-120, VH-12, CY-15R, CY-14, CY-12R/C, 2 x CY-8, CY-5, MDS-12C

Comment

Thatís a 30ís Super Ludwig. Black Beauties were engraved in the 20ís. Based on the strainer, I would have said post Ď25 as well, but the nickel shell with that strainer was from the 30ís. I used to rebuild things like this for an antique/vintage drum shop in the early 90ís. Iíve seen a lot of that stuff come through the shop. Thatíd be my best guess. Canít say I had one from the 20ís or 30ís, but I saw my fair share of 40ís-70ís though. lol
                Alan

Comment

Looks like a Super Sensitive to me. Hereís my old Ludwig & Ludwig from the 30ís or 40ís when they were in Elkhart, Indiana.
                  Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Hi all!

I will of course try verify this - (Not that this any big matter - but right must be right :-)) The owner Jouni was quite sure it was a 1922. As you see in the documentation...
                    Jouni bought the 14Ā~6.5Āć snare from the legendary drumshop Pro DrumShop at Vine Street in Hollywood in 2009 for a fortune. According to Pro DrumShop, the snare had been left by the owner to be sold on consignment. The owner who left it was the legendary Drum Doctor, Ross Garfield. Ross is a well-known drum technician and supplier of drum equipment for some of the best-known bands in the world. We can only speculate where this rare snare was been used when Ross owned it and during the time since 1922.

Ross was the guy who supplied the drums to Metallicas Black Album...:-)

Best Regards

Anders / Zourman.com

Comment

Hi!

I had to nerd myself down in the details regarding the legendary snare which we sampled. It looks like Alan Vex was close in his assumptions. I also talked to the owner Jouni...and he had made some research when he bought the snare 2008. But Jouni was a little off in his assumptions regarding when the snare was produced. (He was guessing 1922)

So I made some research by looking and comparing pictures of ďourĒ snare and pictures from the Ludwig catalogues:

In 1925-1926, Ludwig & Ludwig introduced a revolutionary snare mechanism called the Super-Ludwig. Patented in January 1924, it was quite a radical departure from the simple strainers previously available and offered individual snare adjustment. This was especially useful for gut snares which would loosen under certain humidity conditions. A drummer could change from a set of gut snares to a set of silk-wire snares in a matter of minutes if desired. The snares also remained under constant tension even when disengaged from the bottom head. Individual snare adjustment was possible by the use of a screw driver.

In 1926, a metal snare guard (seen on Jouniís snare) was offered that could be attached to a Super-Ludwig drum to protect the mechanism from damage. The guards could be ordered from Ludwig & Ludwig for one dollar along with instructions on how to attach them to the bottom tension rods. By 1928 the guards were standard equipment on all Super-Ludwig drums.
                      In the late 1930ís the snare guards were bolted to the bottom hoop. (The guard on Jounis snare are not bolted)

The Ludwig Super Sensitive model was introduced 1929...it has a extra strainer to control the tone. (Jounis Snare has not this function)

A new model of the Ludwig-Super snare was introduced 1936.

The Ludwig Black Beauty Snare was not officially introduced until 1977...but the Super-Ludwig DeLuxe Black engraving was called Black Beauty already in the 1920s because of the Black finish over nickel shells (but not in the catalogue until 1932)...and the name was actually taken from the competitor Slingerland...which had a model called Black Beauty back in the old days.

So what we have sampled is a Super-Ludwig snare deluxe in black finish (a Black Beauty without engravings...this model was called Inspiration) produced somewhere between 1924 and 1935Ē. So our best estimations it's produced between 1925-1930. We canít find any Ludwig inscriptions on the snare or on the hoops...so Jouni guesses this snare is an early preproduction to some famous drummer. (He has other old snares which has this story, Ludwig Pioneer Snare )

Best Regards

Anders / Zourman.com
                      Last edited by angr77; Today, 01:31 PM. Reason: story updates

Comment

Wow, this is just too funny and seems to be the way most things go these days. "It is what it is until it isn't or until proved otherwise"
                        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

As we marketeers usually say...donít check a good story...:-)

Have a great drumming evening!

Anders / Zourman.com

Comment

AND the truth will set you free!
                            UNLESS, you get sent to prison, fined, fired or otherwise prosecuted or persecuted!
                            EVEN if it is 20, 30, or 40 years later.
                            Eat your veggies and pick a good law school to graduate from is the best advice we can give our children these days!

In the end only lawyers and ----roaches will survive.
                            "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                            X