Problems installing Superior Drummer 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems installing Superior Drummer 2.0

Just received my Superior Drummer 2.0 package and am exited to trigger these with my TD30K kit. I have Windows 7 64bit and ran the complete install of both the 64bit version and the complete sound library installation (5 DVDs). Did not see anything on my machine regarding a application icon anywhere. Even though everything seem to finish correctly, I ran that install again with the same results. Reading through the scant install instructions, it did say to install the 32bit version is the 64bit didn't work.
    Then the term "host application" caught my attention. Initially I though they were talking about with Windows or Mac as the host application, but know I am wondering.

Of course something is wrong with the Toontrack.com site and I am not able to log onto the support section or even register to get access.

So, starting with the most basic question: what does toontrack mean by "host application"? Is Superior Drummer a purely add-on application (plug-in for another application), or does it install as a stand-alone with the ability to plug-in or interact with other applications?

Definitely new to DAW, VST and MIDI so I figure this is important that I start with obtaining a clear understanding of how that all inter acts.

Any help would be much appreciated.....

Download Toontrack solo. It is a host and any DAW would also be a host like Pro Tools.

Comment

Solo will get you playing right away.

A DAW will allow you to record your playing. For a newcomer, ProTools is a little overkill. Lots of DAWs out there, ranging from free to not too much money that will do just fine.

For example, MultitrackStudio is free but limited to a few tracks only (I forgot, but I think it's 4 tracks... still plenty for playing along or recording a drum track).
      Reaper is a full fledge DAW that has a good evaluation period for free.

My favorite lately is Harrison Mixbus. Very intuitive, easy to make it sound great, not too expensive.

It's a rabbit hole you are getting into. Good luck!
      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Rabbit hole is exactly what I was thinking when this thing didn't install as expected. Kind of half-heartedly going into this as I have a few Vex packages and cherry picked until I got a very nice 100........but I keep hearing that Roland's "shaped" sounds cannot compete with SD2 or SSD for sound quality. More of a "let's see" than anything else.......
        Thanks for the help

Comment

Superior is seen as a vst plug-in by multi-track daws.. (as an effect plug in) so, you can drop it on a track and then open the gui ..
          to configure all the incoming midi triggers .. and then send the audio through your asio card ..
          there are many daws.. and not all have the same performance.. solo would work.. ..but i like cockos reaper ..
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqe_JPRqgeQ
          Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-18-17, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Excellent YouTube video......thanks so much!

Comment

OK, so I was able to get everything installed and functioning........and I have to say I am not all that impressed. I think that somebody running stock sounds from a TD30 might experience the WOW factor, but I have the great Vex packs with a little tweaking on top (to my liking) and I am not hearing a huge difference between the Superior Drummer samples and the Roland sounds that are Vex'd.
              Just FYI for anybody with a TD30 looking to take it to the next level. Spend less money on the Vex kits.........

Comment

Lol this is just because you use no preset. you just use the raw sound like that when you have open SD2. SD2 is difficult to use ! You have to make your instrument, mix all the sound with effects, etc. It's not usable "like that". For that use ez drummer packs.
                TD-12, A2E drum, R-Drum trigger (snare and kick), Triggera Intrigg (toms), Drum-tec Design,, Roland & Yamaha cymbals, Roc-N-Soc Nitro, Pearl Eliminator Redline (+ Trick drive shaft) / PC : Asus P8Z68, I5 2550K, 8 Go ram, RME HDSP 9632 interface.

Comment

[QUOTE=KTOleary;n1159940]OK, so I was able to get everything installed and functioning........and I have to say I am not all that impressed. I think that somebody running stock sounds from a TD30 might experience the WOW factor, but I have the great Vex packs with a little tweaking on top (to my liking) and I am not hearing a huge difference between the Superior Drummer samples and the Roland sounds that are Vex'd.
                  Just FYI for anybody with a TD30 looking to take it to the next level. Spend less money on the Vex kits.........[/QUOTE

You might want to record them to compare. Superior default kit has very little low end on the kick. You can EQ it in fairly easily. The default toms and cymbals should sound excellent.

You could try the producer presets or Andy Sneap if you are into metal/rock.

How are you monitoring it?

Comment

Hmmm... Sounds like you should've picked up EZDrummer instead of SD, KTOleary.

SD is a monster of available tweaks, so out of the box, it's a bit like your TD30. It's bland.
                    Try some presets, or look for some addon packs that might suit you better than the original Avatar. And tweak.
                    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Working...
                    X