Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noob help please with latency equipment requirements etc before purchasing!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also do you ever have issues where the software doesnt or stops triggering? at times it stops and like just now the software "sees" the midi input device, but doesnt trigger?

Comment

Originally posted by njkmonty View Post
      also do you ever have issues where the software doesnt or stops triggering? at times it stops and like just now the software "sees" the midi input device, but doesnt trigger?
      Nope, never had that. I'm on Linux so I wouldn't know what to suggest to troubleshoot it. Sounds like a MIDI driver problem but can't say for sure.
      MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. kit pics thread

Comment

if its all about asio, then whats wrong with a $99 Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx Sound Card

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...-rx-sound-card

i gues im trying to understand how all the components effect the end result so a can justify spending $$$ in certain areas

i tried to read up about asio but ive found very basic info
        Last edited by njkmonty; 06-12-17, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Comment

Apparently, almost as important as the hardware itself is the Asio driver. Some brands provide good drivers and others not so much. I can't say whether the Sound Blaster Audigy card would be any good or not - on paper it looks fine, but grand statements are often not worth the paper they're printed on. I suppose you could google around and see what others say about it. On the other hand, the ESI Juli@ doesn't cost much more and you know it's going to work. That said, if your onboard sound is giving you the latency you posted above without dropouts, I'd say you're good to go. If you want something better, you might as well go for something proven and of good quality instead of taking a gamble on gear that might not even perform any better. But bear in mind, the law of diminishing returns applies.
            MegaDrum module, DIY A2E pads, DIY hall effect 3 zone hi hat, DIY 1, 2 & 3 zone cymbals, DIY kick beater triggers on DIY modded longboard, direct drive pedals, DIY triple driver IEMs, El Cheapo buttkicker. Various VSTs running in a tweaked Linux Mint. kit pics thread

Comment

asio is important.. but it's also about what is on the card.. do you need 5.1 / 7.1 channels ? nope.. for monitoring that guitarist other outputs would be more
              handy .. there's mic 1 and mic 2 (useless) .. there's only 1 line in .. 2 or more line ins can be handy for recording drums or other instruments..
              need optical out ? nope.. is there a midi I/O on the card ? nope.. but you want to use sample rack as a trigger module.. so, i don't know what is faster..
              using midi out > midi in of a pc soundcard.. or using alesis midi usb to trigger vst's ..
              static latency numbers don't say much .. if your computer can handle a full configured drumset and a drumsolo without gagging..
              then you have something that can be played real time ..
              Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-12-17, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Ive been reading and rereading info, i think ive finally got it, please chip in if i havent!

when i was looking at these audio cards they seemed really expensive, plus they looked liked expansion cards from the 1990's!! i did some reading , im very familiar with pci express, but realised the cards everyone is referring too are PCI. Emu and Juli@ etc, I also just realise i can still get a current motherboard which has a pci slot

so for a reasonable price i could buy

RME HDSP 9632 PCI Sound Interface

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222532987...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                or
                http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182618226...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and use it in a motherboard like this...

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...te-motherboard

is this what everyone is going on about? as i dont want to pay $1000 new for an emu card

Comment

does that negate the performance of the card using it in an old slot?
                  PCI 1056 MBps
                  AGP 8x 2.1 GBps
                  PCI Express 1.0 / x16 8 GBps
                  PCI Express 1.0 / x8 4 GBps
                  PCI Express 1.0 / x4 2 GBps
                  PCI Express 2.0 / x16 16 GBps
                  PCI Express 2.0 / x8 8 GBps
                  PCI Express 2.0 / x4 4 GBps
                  PCI Express 3.0 / x16 32 GBps
                  PCI Express 3.0 / x8 16 GBps
                  PCI Express 3.0 / x4 8 GBps
                  PCI Express 3.0 / x1 2 GBps
                  IDE (ATA 100) 800 MBps
                  IDE (ATA 133) 1064 MBps
                  SATA 1.5 GBps
                  SATA III 3 GBps
                  SATA 6 6 GBps
                  Firewire 400 MBps
                  USB 1.0 12 MBps
                  USB 2.0 480 MBps
                  USB 3.0 4.8 GBps
                  USB 3.1 10 GBps​
                  Gigabit Ethernet 1 GBps

Comment

no.. doesn't matter if it's an old slot (pci) that RME card had unbeatable specs on pci, and still outperforms some other pci-e cards.. Julia has a pci-e version but
                    it seems difficult to find.. and sure, you can run superior on a lighter system, but now you will be able to run like 2 instances of superior with different sounds,
                    and 1 instance of ez drummer inside a daw, without any problems ..
                    if you buy that motherboard, i would check the difference with onboard audio boost en/ or dis-abled in bios.. same with the x boost for usb ports..
                    it is even possible that your midi is faster and more stable using a midi cable from sample rack to rme midi in.. and not going through usb midi..
                    in my opinion.. i would compare those differences ..

Comment

Why do you spend so much on the pc ? I mean , if your are about to not spend a lot of money, and it seem by your 1st post that you don't have yet purchase the pc, there are a lot cheaper alternative for a computer. A used motherboard with older compatible I5 or I7 cpu and DDR3 and pci port, will be more than enough if you have a common use with you VST/daw, etc. Put the rest of money in the software price, gear, headphone, etc (more usefull than an expensive too powerfull pc than serve nothing).
                      But maybe you want to use it for other things too...

Try also too look out of ebay. The prices on ebay are near always way too much high. (My RME 9632 was paid 120 euros, not GBP, and I saw 2 more card at 150 on "leboncoin.fr few weeks ago, depending where you live. Buy mine there and seller shipped it to Belgium)
                      Last edited by Kaerio; 06-16-17, 06:54 AM.
                      TD-12, A2E drum, R-Drum trigger (snare and kick), Triggera Intrigg (toms), Drum-tec Design,, Roland & Yamaha cymbals, Roc-N-Soc Nitro, Pearl Eliminator Redline (+ Trick drive shaft) / PC : Asus P8Z68, I5 2550K, 8 Go ram, RME HDSP 9632 interface.

Comment

i need a new pc in my man cave, anyway i will build it myself and get reasonable prices on parts.
                        i Already have ezdrummer/superior drummer & Addictive drums.
                        i was planning on ...
                        i5 / i7
                        m.2 Samsung nvme ssd 250gb
                        8-16 gig ram is 8 gigs enough do you think?
                        RME 9632 ( if i find this card, is the only software i need some drivers to run it, and i guess i just download it from their site

also i just stumbled on at eBay emu 1212, are they suitable , as a little cheaper

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E-MU-EMU-...4AAOSwcj5ZPYiH

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/E-MU-EMU-...EAAOSwXYtY1izc
                        Last edited by njkmonty; 06-16-17, 08:20 AM.

Comment

For a new pc in 2017, I would go 16Gb, but I have 8Gb and it works perfectly. But having 8 and later add 8 more to have 16 can be problematic sometimes depending your hardware. Depend of what you need...
                          In my case, I prefer to have a second hard drive where I put samples and other things, in case I need to re-instal the hard main drive (crash, changing Windows version, etc). Putting samples on SSD is a very good idea.

Sorry, I don't know emu 1212.

RME 9632 ( if i find this card, is the only software i need some drivers to run it, and i guess i just download it from their site
                          Yes there is drivers withTotalmix to download at their, maybe other stuff on their site to download if you want. You will maybe need to update the firmware of the card too with the tool on their site depending the firmware version of your card). RME make good drivers. This card is old and there is always new driver update for it.
                          Last edited by Kaerio; 06-16-17, 09:59 AM.
                          TD-12, A2E drum, R-Drum trigger (snare and kick), Triggera Intrigg (toms), Drum-tec Design,, Roland & Yamaha cymbals, Roc-N-Soc Nitro, Pearl Eliminator Redline (+ Trick drive shaft) / PC : Asus P8Z68, I5 2550K, 8 Go ram, RME HDSP 9632 interface.

Comment

sorry one one question, do u think superior drummer needs 4 cores from a cpu?? as i just realise there is an i3 7350k chip that can do 4.2 Ghz

and maby i dont realy need a 7700k? (ie like having a great hyperthreading chip, but not having any programs that utilize it??

motherboard 1151 with PCI slot
                            Intel 7th Generation Core i3-7350K 4.20 GHz
                            Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) DDR4 DRAM
                            Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
                            RME HDSP 9632 interface (used)

what do u think??

Comment

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-ad...vs-i5-3590405/ up to you ..
                              but don't take the risc of wanting or having to upgrade your pc after initial build.. you know how many times i had to do that ?
                              i3 has smaller memory cache on chip.. and no turbo boost.. maybe it's enough.. but i have nothing below i5 processor ..
                              about prices.. if i had to pay 50 bucks more for a good (and complete) RME card.. i would still do it.. because it's about class A
                              components and not about who can do it 50 bucks cheaper.. the right components could last you 10 years.. so, that's 5 bucks a year ..

Comment

Ive just purchased a used RME 9632 pci card by itself , i went to the Rme page, but a little confused, do you know what software and drivers i need to use this card? it hasnt arrived yet

Comment

Working...
                                X