TD 50 wav and custom kits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD 50 wav and custom kits

Hi y'all I just recently got the TD 50 and was kind of mystified how you go about actually creating drum samples to import to the TD 50 brain.I don't know what is, actually needed, I am also wondering if I could use my SPD SX direct into the brain anyone can shed any light on that I would be greatly appreciative thank you

Originally posted by Tordor View Post
    Hi y'all I just recently got the TD 50 and was kind of mystified how you go about actually creating drum samples to import to the TD 50 brain.I don't know what is, actually needed, I am also wondering if I could use my SPD SX direct into the brain anyone can shed any light on that I would be greatly appreciative thank you
    For the first part about sampling drums - I think it depends a lot on your goal. Do you want to replicate your acoustic snare as accurately as possible or simply add a one-shot sample of your tambourine to the hihat. So I would first do a Google search for "creating drum samples" to get some information / inspiration. Maybe watch a couple of the top videos on the topics
    Second do a search for "samples import Roland TD-50", which leads to:
    https://www.rolandus.com/support/kno...base/217516046

Regarding SPD-SX, the only way to plug it into the TD50, is by MIDI which is not really helping you. The process would be to sample what you want on the SPD-SX and then connect it to a computer via USB or use a USB key, transfer the sample to an sd-card and use it in the TD50 (provided that the format of the SPD-SX samples are compatible with the TD50). So not so much easier than recording directly on a computer, unless you already have the SPD-SX connected and the sample format is compatible.
    Check out
    https://www.rolandus.com/support/kno...base/201977639
    https://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/201936049
    Last edited by qcaze; 02-13-17, 01:34 AM.
    Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Wow I been trying all the stuff you just sent and I think you're right I don't think it's compatible I'm a complete idiot with computers I think if I knew it was going to be this hard I would have held out for the Pearl mimic. I think I'm actually going to have to call Roland tomorrow and find out how you do this I just wanted a simple way but apparently that's not going to happen for me.I am an old guy in his 50s all the stuff kills my head I thank you for your reply to sir

Comment

Wow I been trying all the stuff you just sent and I think you're right I don't think it's compatible I'm a complete idiot with computers I think if I knew it was going to be this hard I would have held out for the Pearl mimic. I think I'm actually going to have to call Roland tomorrow and find out how you do this I just wanted a simple way but apparently that's not going to happen for me.I am an old guy in his 50s all the stuff kills my head I thank you for your reply to sir
        for drums, the reason why you need many layers and articulation, as example with a real snare, go hit a real snare with all dynamic center and rimshots, you will end up with a lots of sound variation from each dynamic level, you can't achieve this with 1 wav layers imports sound. Another example, go hit real acoustic tom, from the lowest to the highest velocity, everything change as you strike harder, frequency, attack, tone, timbre, sustain etc..your ears can't register all these variation because there way to many.
        Last edited by Chris K; 02-13-17, 11:32 PM.
        Regards
        Chris K

DW Collector Drum, Roland TD-15\VST Powered, Spd-SX, Yamaha Pmc1 midi brain

Comment

From the title and what you're writing, I get the impression that you bought the TD-50 hoping to create completely custom kits based on your own samples - is that correct?
          Roland TD-50/TD-30/SPD-SX - PD-140DS, BT-1, PD-85, 3xPD-105, 3xPD-125, KD-120, KD-7. Cymbals: CY-18DR, 2x CY-14C, 2x CY-15R, 2xCY-12C, CY-13R, 2xCY-5, 2x Yamaha PCY10, 2xTriggera D14

Comment

Do a search for 1 shot samples. You can import them directly into the brain. They used for adding to acoustic drum recordings especially in rock mixes. The only other option is to create a 2 layer sample in the TD50.

Comment

Thanks will do

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

Do a search for 1 shot samples. You can import them directly into the brain. They used for adding to acoustic drum recordings especially in rock mixes. The only other option is to create a 2 layer sample in the TD50.
                I didn't think there were many good quality stereo one shot samples available for acoustic drum sounds available outside of the expensive vst programs. If so would love to see links posted to wav samples that are compatible for the 50 that we can just download and then load on the SD card.

Comment

Originally posted by jtrego View Post

I didn't think there were many good quality stereo one shot samples available for acoustic drum sounds available outside of the expensive vst programs. If so would love to see links posted to wav samples that are compatible for the 50 that we can just download and then load on the SD card.
                  I have run out right now but in the mixing world there should be a lot. I think drum drops has some.

Comment

I was hoping to create my own drum samples using my SPD SX I still haven't gotten around to it yet but as you know you can hook a microphone up to the sample pad so I could mic a regular drum kit or cymbals or whatever I want. Unfortunately I'm still trying to get samples from the SPD SX onto a stick and then on to an SD card I don't know I've been having such a hard time with this but it's been a real ***** I've done everything I possibly could I followed all the steps.Yet still had no success, I am an old guy in his fifties who doesn't know much about computers so this weekend my wife decided she try to help me out here I just wish Roland made it easier for people like me who are not computer Wizards. I also have Addictive Drums which I've been sampling directly into the SPD SX so I'm hoping those samples were work when I finally am able to get the samples onto an SD card
                    Last edited by Tordor; 02-16-17, 06:56 PM.

Comment

not much help up here i am done up here
                      Last edited by Tordor; 02-17-17, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Here is how I create samples. It is much easier if you have a DAW program like Pro tools,Cubase etc. Pro Tools first is a free download.

1. Record midi hits playing different drums from the TD50 into a DAW. Leave a couple of seconds between hits.
                        2. Set up a VST program mapped to the TD50.
                        3. Zoom in on each hit and set the start and end locators to the very begining of the hit and the end of the actual room sound. This is the same as recording a song in a DAW and setting an start and end point.
                        4. Use the bounce or export feature in the DAW to bounce the sound. It is like bouncing a very short song.
                        5. I use a mastering plug in for each sound because the Roland stock sounds are very loud. This makes my samples the same volume as the stock sounds.

Comment

Just so the info is in this thread. For people that own VST software and want to create single shot WAV samples for the TD-50 there is a simple program. Lustar now has a version of SDSE that has all the settings preset for exporting one shot samples for the TD-50. It takes just a couple clicks to render/export the entire kit and it happens very fast! SDSE: http://lustark.com/sdse Contact him and mention you want the version for the TD-50.
                          Additionally as a side note, Sennheiser has an entire kit that can be downloaded for free which can be used for building one shot samples. I have built that kit into samples with the free Kontakt player and SDSE. It is a nice sounding Acrylic kit: http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica
                          Last edited by JmanWord; 02-19-17, 12:49 PM.
                          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Powered by the TD-50 and 2ea. 2Box modules, drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

i have imported some custom td-20 waves into the td-50 all sounds great and is working except the hi hat i sampled a closed and open hi hat and i loaded the open one but i can't seem to get the hit pedal to close the hi hat sample ; what am i doing wrong is there a setting
                            I'm missing that will control the hi hat sample ?

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord View Post
                              Just so the info is in this thread. For people that own VST software and want to create single shot WAV samples for the TD-50 there is a simple program. Lustar now has a version of SDSE that has all the settings preset for exporting one shot samples for the TD-50. It takes just a couple clicks to render/export the entire kit and it happens very fast! SDSE: http://lustark.com/sdse Contact him and mention you want the version for the TD-50.
                              Additionally as a side note, Sennheiser has an entire kit that can be downloaded for free which can be used for building one shot samples. I have built that kit into samples with the free Kontakt player and SDSE. It is a nice sounding Acrylic kit: http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica
                              So with the Sennheiser kit you don't need an expensive DAW to get the one shot samples?

Comment

Working...
                              X