Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a DAW with drum VSTs but want to move on to something more. Where to start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a DAW with drum VSTs but want to move on to something more. Where to start?

Hi all. I have an electronic drumset with Reaper and Superior Drummer 2.0 and enjoy playing covers and adding my playing to tracks that my guitarist/bassist friends send me.

But I want to start making my own music, just not sure where to start.

I can't play another instruments so I was thinking of using samples and doing something creative with that and my drumming. But where do I start with that? And do I need software besides my DAW? Do you recommend that I get a sample pad and, if so, which one?

Maybe the post is a bit too general but I'm just trying to expand my playing into something a little more unique to maybe post on YouTube and FB. I just don't know where to start, so I thought that maybe samples was a good way to start. However I have no idea how to remix anything or change pitch, etc - can I do that with a DAW? Thanks.

SampleTank could be a good introduction if you want to program MIDI tracks to play-along. Loads of virtual instruments. Not good enough to cut your own CD probably, but good enough for having fun and YT videos.

Or are you looking in doing "one-man-shows"? Doing some kind of looping like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_T5VWCuuI

DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
      SampleTank could be a good introduction if you want to program MIDI tracks to play-along. Loads of virtual instruments. Not good enough to cut your own CD probably, but good enough for having fun and YT videos
      I humbly disagree with this, ST 2.5, and now ST3, is MORE than capable of making quality recordings, A quick search will prove this. I liked it so much that I bought 2.5 & 3 over every other sampler out there, the ethnic instruments rock!

Now as for the drums, they are NOT that great compared to other drum vst's, but as a collection the VSTi is great.

TD-4 w/ 3x PD-8, CY12 C/R, CY8, PD-7 as HH, FD-7, KD-8, MDS-3 Rack.

Full Drum Fun Collection, Drumeo, Tommy Igoe, Band in a Box, minusDrum, Karaoke Version, Roland, Yamaha, and 2.76 Zillion Midi Files for Practice, along with my own Compositions.

Comment

Working...
      X