Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the Yamaha 502 series module for VST only

Hi,
    I've come to the conclusion that I have failed in my endeavor to make my Megadrum work for me, so I think I need to try a simpler solution for Addictive drums with maybe a Yamaha module.

I have a set of Yamaha 900 cymbals, hihat and bass drum pad, and a cakepan conversion set of Pearl Rhythm Travellers. Because I already have the Yamaha cymbals I'm thinking a Yamaha brain would suit me well for the purposes of running Addictive Drums.

What does everyone think of the Yamaha 500 series module?

I'm hoping I can fix my problems very simply with this, but I also fear that I might run into more complications similar to trying to learn the Megadrum.

Thanks so much for your insight!

Fine. No problem. (don't know what you mean by 900 cymbals, though. Yamaha cymbals are PCYxxx, most likely PCY130/135/150/155).
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 12-24-16, 07:00 PM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

Not sure if the snare rim will work with Roland type pads.

Comment

(don't think they have any Roland pads.... )
        *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
        DTX modules. Roland TM-2, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPad. Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Loads o' synth modules. And...a ukulele or three.

Comment

OP,
          It depends how big of a kit you want to play.

The DTX502 is limited to 1x Ride, 1x Crash, 1x HH, 1x snare, 3x toms, 1x kick and 1x extra single zone pad.

You won't be able to swap a Tom for another Crash, as the Tom inputs are piezo-piezo.

Snare input will work single zone only with your cakepan conversion.

The workaround is to use the snare input for an extra crash, one Tom input for a dual zone snare, if you need more Toms than 2, then split a tom input to get 2x single zone toms.
          The kick input can also be split into two zones for extra percussion or whatever you need.
          DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

Ouch,
            Not enough inputs on that module! Thank you, Perceval, for that description!

The cymbal pads are RHH135 hats, two PCY135's and a PCY155 with a DTX 900 series kick tower pad.

Maybe I should go for the DTX 700 module instead, and eventually buy a snare pad.

Thanks so much for the help!

Comment

The 502 module itself already has a 10+ ms delay, compared to 3ms for a TD-30 for example. Adding this to VST delay wil for sure not make this a very playable solution.
              https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?dl=0

TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY5/12/15

Comment

Also keep in mind you can use Roland module with Yamaha cymbal pads, I dont know about the hats though.
                Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, EZD2
                Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Yamaha MG06, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

You could buy a used TD9 or Td15 module and a VH11 hi hat. The PCY cymbals will be 2 zone on a Roland module. The edge and bell will trigger the same sound.

The other direction would be to get a Yamaha snare pad and DTX700. The older rubber TP120 pads are pretty good and very cheap used. They play like a very tightly tuned snare head. The silicone pads are better but more expensive.

I always have preferred Roland for triggering VST's because of the large number of used pads available and the DIY options. I like the feel of the Roland cymbals better as well. They have more rebound than Yamaha which is closer to a real cymbal for me. The edge of the cymbals has better control as well,especially on the hi hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrdogbiscuit View Post
                    Ouch,
                    Not enough inputs on that module! Thank you, Perceval, for that description!

The cymbal pads are RHH135 hats, two PCY135's and a PCY155 with a DTX 900 series kick tower pad.

Maybe I should go for the DTX 700 module instead, and eventually buy a snare pad.

Thanks so much for the help!
                    The DTX700 has that extra crash input, plus another 3-zone input for yet another cymbal, or extra tom, etc...

Actually, all inputs except the kick are 3-zone inputs, which means they will only work one zone for your toms and snare as is. You can't split those inputs like you can on a Roland module. If you want rim, you'll need to make a rather more involving DIY rick, or buy a Yamaha pad. As Peter mentioned, the used rubber ones are cheaper, and the silicone ones are quite expensive.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post

Actually, all inputs except the kick are 3-zone inputs, which means they will only work one zone for your toms and snare as is. You can't split those inputs like you can on a Roland module. If you want rim, you'll need to make a rather more involving DIY rick, or buy a Yamaha pad. As Peter mentioned, the used rubber ones are cheaper, and the silicone ones are quite expensive.

Good luck!
                      Thanks everyone!

If my A2E pads have head and rim piezos I can't assign the third zone for each input to nothing so that I can also have rim? The 502 module has the ability to use a tom input for a two zone snare, but because the DTX700 module is three zone this is not possible?

The DTX700 module with a snare pad is looking like the best option for me at this point.

Comment

Using the 700 with your A2E pads, only the head will work. no rim click, no rim shots... unless you come up with a switch instead of a piezo. for the rim.

Here's how: http://www.hellfiredrums.com/diy-rim-switch/

Comment

Originally posted by djska View Post
                          The 502 module itself already has a 10+ ms delay, compared to 3ms for a TD-30 for example. Adding this to VST delay wil for sure not make this a very playable solution.
                          FWIW, I have the 502 module and have virtually no delay using it with SD 2.0 and Reaper. I have a laptop with an i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and an SSD. I turn off wifi and background processes and set the buffer low to get virtually no input lag.

I'm not saying the TD30 isn't better - just that a 502 module is not doomed to noticeable input lag.
                          Last edited by deerum; 12-26-16, 11:39 PM.

Comment

For me there's noticeable difference between a low latency TD-30 or ATV aD5 equipped with USB allowing direct connection to an (optimized) laptop compared to an older TD-9 with only DIN MIDI output and requiring an external interface. The modern modules hardly introduce noticeable latency, but the older module really felt too slow, it kinda slows you down, fine for playing a ballad, playing a quick drum and bass beat? Just awful...I therefore would like to warn against using a modern, but still slow 502.
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?dl=0

TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY5/12/15

Comment

I've been contemplating coercing my bandmates into trying out online rehearsals with one of the new companies what do that sort of thing, but one of the companies claims each member needs to have less than 25ms of latency for it to not sound lagged.

I have 14ms through Reaper, less than 1ms ping rate on my internet and adding whatever module I use would have to be 10ms or less in an ideal situation (if I recorded through Reaper at the same time).

I don't know what the latency is with the Megadrum into my Mac running Addictive Drums, but the Megadrum can be set for 1.4ms. The default is 4ms. It has no perceptible delay that I can tell.

I've never played any electronic drum where I noticed the latency, although I haven't played many. I couldn't tell any delay when I had the Simmons SDS-V, but those were analog.

I do notice a big delay if monitoring my acoustic drums through reaper's monitor outs instead of the interface monitor, but I attribute that to the mics.

Comment

Working...
                              X