Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my computer even handle this? Recommend me a product....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my computer even handle this? Recommend me a product....

Hey guys...I'm coming back to this AGAIN. It seems as every few years I try to figure out how to successfully trigger VST samples with my vdrums and always end up failing.

So, its tax refund time and I'd really like to finally complete the dream.

I've really got a minimal wishlist of what I'm trying to get done....I want to use my TD-6V to trigger sounds using the AddictiveDrums standalone version to simply play along with drumless tracks I have. I've tried this in the past with my desktop using one of those cheap USB to MIDI cables straight from the computer to the TD-6V, and the latency was terribad.

So, now I'm wondering if this laptop is capable. Its got 4gb of ram, i3 and of course, a ****ty sound card. Im pretty sure it has USB2. (device manager says USB Enhanced Host Controller, I think that means USB2?)

From my minimal understanding of what I've seen, Im going to probably need some sort of in-line USB external sound card between my laptop and drums? Can someone please suggest something thats decently cheap? Im not looking to record any music, play any music live with a band through a PA system or anything like that. I just want to trigger sounds with low latency to play into my headphones.

Thank you for any help you can send my way. If I get this working, I owe you all a beer.

There are a number of factors involved when dealing with latency.

First, a must read is the VST Primer in the VST section. Really.

After that, a cheap USB-2-MIDI cable is a hit or miss... most of the time, miss. A nicer one from Roland or Yamaha will cost you about $40, but it is worth it.

To better the latency, you may need an external interface, these goes for 100-150 from Focusrite, M-Audio,... They will improve latency, but not drastically. To handle that to the lowest possible, you'll need something like a RME BabyFace... funny it costs a little more, isn't it?

Then, there are settings within your computer and play back software to make sure it can handle lower samples, down to 64 samples should be pretty good.

Read the primer, then come back with more focused questions.
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Alright I had read it over briefly earlier and just gave it another look over. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the external interface route....I just dont know how they work really. Are they basically just external sound cards? What is the actual name for this type of product so I can google it and compare. MIDI USB interface? External sound cards? External MIDI interface? I get distracted looking at these things and seeing all these knobs and stuff on the front that look like options and features that I have no use for for what I'm looking to do....and then start looking for simpler, cheaper ones.

I'm looking to spend around 100-130 bucks on one of those external things. I've seen this Focusrite 2i2 one mentioned a few times on here. Would this do the trick?

I see some people mention firewire and PCIe is the only way to go, but other people say that their USB devices provide them with little to no latency. You make it sound like the external box might only be slightly better than my old straight USB to MIDI cable I tried a few years ago? I had like .5 second latency with that badboy.

Comment

The 2i2 won't cut it as you need a MIDI IN in your audio interface. Next up is the 2i4, but it is $200. Although I do not know how good they are, look up the M-Audio M-Track or the Presonus USB. They are cheaper.

If you can get a used one from eBay or a member here, go ahead. Does your laptop have FireWire? If yes, make sure it is a TI chip, as other FW chips have problems. If your laptop doesn't have FW, then no point.

And since you have a laptop, no PCIe cards for you!

Or, take your time, save some money and get a new or used MegaDrum. That will fix your latency problems using VSTs. For good. But a whole new adventure in tweaks ! Ha ha!

Comment

I use a Scarlett 6i6 closer to $250. It works great but I would try a Roland UM-one midi / usb cable first $40. If that does not work then go external sound card and return the cable.
          I started out with the cable and it worked fine and had minimal latency. I went with the 6i6 because I needed the added in / outs.
          One thing is for sure Edrums do not do cheap very well and you usually get what you pay for.
          Good luck!
          "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

I didnt see it mentioned but if you are using the USB Midi cable route you need to download and install http://www.asio4all.com/ This will help with the latency. If that still doesnt work, then you are going to need an external audio interface. I currently use the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and love this thing ! I would buy the best audio interface you can afford so you wont have to upgrade down the road because the cheaper one has limited capabilities or wont work to well on a low buffer setting.
            Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
            Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
            Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Hmm maybe I should try the USB to MIDI route again? Do the cables really make a difference? These are the ones that I picked up that worked terribly..

Is there anyone here using the Roland set with a laptop that is getting decent results?

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys. Appreciate it.

Comment

As I have allready mentioned, Have you first tried installing http://www.asio4all.com/ ? This is a must if you use a USB to Midi cable.

Comment

Yea I tried asio4all and the 3$ midi cable on my desktop with bad latency.

Comment

What did you have the buffer set at ? the lower the number the lower the Latency. If you go lower than can be handled you will get some popping and snap sounds.

$3 Usb midi cable ? um.......... Yeah that might not work so well. Try a Roland UM 1 cable for best results going that route.

Comment

Isn't the ASIOALL stuff something that just makes you unhappy (according to my experience - I am nice here...I could really use harder words here - But I know there is people who really likes the ASIOALL. I am guessing If using a weak CPU...ASIOALL is not fun)

Get a cheap USB2 based sound card with proper ASIO native drivers(there are hundreds out there on the market) and you will have no problems running your AD2 standalone with your TD-6 and with great low latency.

I bought a Behringer U-PHORIA UMC404 to my home setup...Had no bigger plans more than to see if it was working (I am using a more advanced card in my tour setup)...but the card is not bad at all. I can run this card in Win 8 on 64 frames buffer size and the latency claims to be about 1.3 ms. Sounds and works great! You also get a midi interface in this card to connect to your TD-6. It will work perfectly with your 3 dollar cable!

ANGR77
                      Last edited by angr77; 04-17-15, 07:32 PM.
                      Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, PCY-155, 120MHz MD with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.19. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Not, it won't work with his MIDI to USB cable.

You will need a MIDI to MIDI interconnect. Cheap.

I didn't know Behringer came out with the U-Phoria line. I only find good reviews on the net about the 404.

That UMC1820 looks amazing for $200!

OP would need the UMc 204, with MIDI IN and OUT. Still pretty good at $130.

Comment

Sorry about the cable. I did not see that it was USB to midi... I thought it said midi to midi for $ 3 ...

Angr77
                          Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10, Dingbat,Triggera D14, D11, ATV AD-h14, PCY-155, 120MHz MD with PS board, 2box 3/5/5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.19. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

Alright so I bit the bullet and ordered one of the nicer USB to MIDI cables...the Roland one. Hoping that there's a big difference between these two cables. All the reviews I see online for it are pretty good and claim decent latency but they're mostly keyboard user reviews..

Comment

Here's an idea; before you start buying things, actually install AD2 or SD2 on your computer, and test it, with ASIO drivers running.

Mouse clicks are your drum pads - trust me, this primitive latency test works by feel. Click to sound should be instantaneous.
                              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Working...
                              X