Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know the question has already been asked, what is your preferred virtual VST Drum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know the question has already been asked, what is your preferred virtual VST Drum?

I have already a TD-9KX2 + Native Studio Drummer+ Abbey Road Modern Drums and all the other Abbey Road Drums collections + Drummer Kit Designer from Logic X. But I know that BFD3 is presently on sale at 1/2 price, And i know that Slate Digital as well and Superior Drummer and Addictive Drum are also very good. I think also that VExpress is also very good.So my question is the following: You are on a deserted island with the "electricity" and you have only one virtual drum bundle, what is the one you choose? Please play the game and perhaps you will let me save a lot of money. Thank You very much
    TD-9KX2 / Gretsch Catalina Maple 8-10-12-14-14-16 / Fender Rhodes 73 981 / Roland FP-5 / Korg T3 / RCF-315A / Microphones / Motu 828 MKII Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 / Yamaha HS8 / Logic Pro X / Studio One Pro / Komplete 9 Ultimate / MacBook Pro retina 2015 1Tb SSD I7 3.7Ghz

Superior Drummer with the Custom & Vintage SDX. I prefer natural sounds.
    TD-11 with 1xPDX 100 and 2x 12" drum-tec Diabolo pads, VH-11, CY 15R, CY-8 + various VSTi's.

Comment

For me, just because of HH transmuting, it is Superior drummer. I've never felt at ease with any other VST in the way they handle HH.
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

SSD4 also has HH transmuting feature Perceval and plays great on ekits - the sounds are less natural but worth a shot!

I am a long time BFD fan since v1 but I must say I record a lot for clients using Studio Drummer for its excellent playability. I also managed to play more on Mixosaurus lately at a friends studio and the sounds are absolutely top notch and the HH is very cool - but at 127 Go and with an old KONTAKT interface it does require some work and processing to be playable and sound great.

All the top players have great plugs - we re spoilt for choices these days!

have fun!

Comment

The feeling on the HH is very important. It is interesting to know that Superior Drummer is ahead on this point.
          TD-9KX2 / Gretsch Catalina Maple 8-10-12-14-14-16 / Fender Rhodes 73 981 / Roland FP-5 / Korg T3 / RCF-315A / Microphones / Motu 828 MKII Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2 / Yamaha HS8 / Logic Pro X / Studio One Pro / Komplete 9 Ultimate / MacBook Pro retina 2015 1Tb SSD I7 3.7Ghz

Comment

BFD3 for me.
            Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

I like Studio Drummer best for the drum sounds but the hats dont play so well and the rides are too washy so I use AD2 combined with Studio Drummer just for the Hi Hats and Ride.
              Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
              Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
              Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

I use SD2 with Rock Warehouse which is quite a small amount of kits but really realistic to play. I too like natural sounding drums. I also use custom and vintage as well as Metal foundary now and again. I don't care for the ones that come with SD2 as they are too processed. I have a few EZ packs as well as I used to beta test but the kits are a bit more processed and not as big as the SD2 kits which matters to me.
                Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

From yzf125 : "I like Studio Drummer best for the drum sounds but the hats dont play so well and the rides are too washy so I use AD2 combined with Studio Drummer just for the Hi Hats and Ride" You can use 2 Virtual instruments in duour DAW after your recording but you can't use 2 Virtual Instruments on same time no? You don't like the souns of the AD2 Drums?

I listened a Rock Warehouse demo and it seems well but very rock

Comment

You can use 2 VSTi at the same time while playing.

Just create 2 instrument tracks in your DAW.

Put a different VST in each. Deselect the components you will be playing in the other one. For example, keep only the drums in one, and only cymbals in the other.

I play a lot of Music City in SD.

Could never get used to AD's HH "playability", hated it. The rest was fine, toms and snare are over-processed, but sometimes goods in a live situation to help cut through the other instruments....but cymbals offer only one zone (SD has all 3-zones with Music City on my Yamaha module).
                    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by vitalhomestudio View Post
                      From yzf125 : "I like Studio Drummer best for the drum sounds but the hats dont play so well and the rides are too washy so I use AD2 combined with Studio Drummer just for the Hi Hats and Ride" You can use 2 Virtual instruments in duour DAW after your recording but you can't use 2 Virtual Instruments on same time no? You don't like the souns of the AD2 Drums?

Yes you can play multiple VST's as perceval has said, I just open 2 tracks in my DAW and load different VST's on each one, Then I "unload " the instruments I dont want in SD. ( I will save and name the kit ) Then I will only load the instruments I want in AD2 and also " save and name the kit ". Then I will save and name the session in my DAW so next time I play its ready to go. You can also use more than just 2 separate VST tracks. You can do this with any VST.

As for not liking the sounds of AD drums, I think they are just too thin and compressed sounding, I only use it for the ride cymbals and hats.
                      Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
                      Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
                      Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

Between all the VSTs I own I would put BFD3 as top bang for the buck. BFD3 has a huge selection of high quality instruments and kits. And the amount of samples per articulation is also very good. Cymbals are 3 zones, even crashes, chinas, and splashes. As far as natural or processed sounds I get the feeling that most VST users never get very deep into the mixing section. Programs like BFD3 and SD2 have a huge amount of mixing choices, effects, ambiance, verb, mic choices.... etc. etc. to get a more natural or more processed sound, the variations are almost unlimited. Simply going through the various available presets is also a good place to start to see how different the same kit can sound. The default preset that you hear when opening a program generally is something that is meant to impress at first listen, but not necessarily the sound that is ideal for recording or live play ........
                        Last edited by JmanWord; 03-22-15, 02:56 PM.
                        I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                        Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

yzt125 : It is interesting to know that. In my case i can also use my virtual drum with my acoustic cymbalsHH . Everything is possible! Thanks

JManWord :You are right on this point., be found today of presets everywhere. I have this problem under logic X, if I load an instrument, he arrived with his EQ compressor Reverb.... Everything is already done. The problem with this is that I must remove and remix to that it goes down well in my mix. For the virtual drum that is the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by vitalhomestudio View Post
                            yzt125 : It is interesting to know that. In my case i can also use my virtual drum with my acoustic cymbalsHH . Everything is possible! Thanks

JManWord :You are right on this point., be found today of presets everywhere. I have this problem under logic X, if I load an instrument, he arrived with his EQ compressor Reverb.... Everything is already done. The problem with this is that I must remove and remix to that it goes down well in my mix. For the virtual drum that is the same thing.
                            And that is why you can choose to record dry with VSTs. With BFD3 for exampe all the mixing choices are there to use but the instruments are just raw and natural.
                            I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
                            Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

If i understand with bfd3 it's easy to bypass the drum mixer and all the effects? It supports multi-output?

Comment

Working...
                              X