Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you trigger WAV samples in Superior Drummer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you trigger WAV samples in Superior Drummer?

I am looking at some WAV files from an old Simmons SDS-5 kit. Can these be triggered somehow with my TD9/MIDI/Superior Drummer setup?
    I haven't found any info on a way to do that...

THANKS!

Derek
    Yamaha DTX-502 / (3) PCY155 Cymbals / HH65 HH Pedal
    Roland KD-9 Kick / DIY Snare (1 zone with DTX...)

I'm pretty sure you can't trigger them from within Superior Drummer directly. But you could record a MIDI drum performance through SD and then, in your DAW, take that MIDI data and use it to trigger other samples. You'd have to assign the MIDI data to your other WAV samples. That's different for every DAW, I imagine. I work in Logic 9 so I have a vague idea of how I'd do it, but I've not tried something like that before. I know when you use Logic's Drum Replacer/Doubler, it generates a MIDI track from a recorded audio file and then lets you choose which drum sample to assign it to.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

A few things could be used.

DSPTrigger will help you do some drum replacements. Check that section in here:
      http://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger...ction=features

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na34XZR7BgQ

Here's a way to do it in Logic (would probably work the same in many other DAWs)
      https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12927?locale=en_US

If you like a video, here's one:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4oWfnnRys
      DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks guys! I an looking to trigger these live, and I do not have a DAW. All I have is a TD9, a MIDI cable, and Superior Drummer... I will have to look at those links tonight after work.

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post
          Thanks guys! I an looking to trigger these live, and I do not have a DAW. All I have is a TD9, a MIDI cable, and Superior Drummer... I will have to look at those links tonight after work.
          BFD3 has the capability of importing instrument/WAV samples for building instruments in BFD3.
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
            A few things could be used.

DSPTrigger will help you do some drum replacements. Check that section in here:
            http://www.audiofront.net/dspTrigger...ction=features
            DSPTrigger is SLICK!! I have to download that and mess with it. They should use that to also detect HOTSPOT hits and automatically lower them to a user determined level... hmm...

Comment

Glad you like it!

The developer is a good guy and deserves some attention.

For hotspots, I would just lower hits range velocities from 127 to about 100 in SD.
              DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
              Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by ohlarikd View Post

Download Reaper (it's free to try and fully functional) you can pay for it later. Run it on the same computer that you are running superior drummer. Load up superior drummer VST in Reaper and also load up ReaSaplomatic 5000 vst. RS5K will trigger any sound you want from what ever midi even you decide. Set your drum pad to have no triggered sound in SD and you won't get a drum sound at the same time you trigger a sample. Boom you're done. Jam away!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post
                  Download Reaper (it's free to try and fully functional) you can pay for it later. Run it on the same computer that you are running superior drummer. Load up superior drummer VST in Reaper and also load up ReaSaplomatic 5000 vst. RS5K will trigger any sound you want from what ever midi even you decide. Set your drum pad to have no triggered sound in SD and you won't get a drum sound at the same time you trigger a sample. Boom you're done. Jam away!
                  I actually did download Reaper... Now, not being familiar with this type of SW, I was completely overwhelmed and walked away with my head spinning. BUT - I will try again I admit I am not sure what all this functionality does in Reaper or what it's purpose is, so it's something I've always needed to get into. I didn't immediately see the SD VST in Reaper, so maybe I need to point to it somehow.

Last edited by ohlarikd; 03-21-15, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Agreed, Reaper can be a little overwhelming at first. It is a really good program and has excellent on line forum support. Chances are if it's stumped you, it has been solved on the reaper forum. My best guess as to why you aren't seeing the SD VST is that it's not linked in your path under preferences in reaper. Under preferenes in Reaper there is a plug-ins setting. Under this setting is a place to set your VST plug in paths
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePod View Post
                      Agreed, Reaper can be a little overwhelming at first. It is a really good program and has excellent on line forum support. Chances are if it's stumped you, it has been solved on the reaper forum. My best guess as to why you aren't seeing the SD VST is that it's not linked in your path under preferences in reaper. Under preferenes in Reaper there is a plug-ins setting. Under this setting is a place to set your VST plug in paths

Thanks - I am sure that is the reason it is not showing up - will have to try later tonight. I think Reaper is worth investigating as it opens up many more options for sounds and enhancements. Time to raise the bar a bit here!

Comment

Working...
                      X