Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROLAND TD-11 WITH SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROLAND TD-11 WITH SUPERIOR DRUMMER 2.0

This is my first post - just dove into the ekit universe!

I have begun piecing together my first ekit:

Roland TD-11, PD-125SX, KD-140, Alesis Surge 16" Ride.

The BIG question:

If I purchase superior drummer 2.0 - can I simply connect the TD-11 to my laptop via USB and run Superior Drummer as stand alone software? I'm only interested in using the setup for playing, not recording - so I'd like to avoid purchasing any additional software (like Pro Tools) if possible.

SD2 needs a host to work. It's not a stand alone program
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Since your just diving into the ekit world and wanting to play, not record, I would recommend loading up the module with Vex kits and wear it out. (Also make sure each pad's sensitivity setting is up high enough. A lot of people find the TD-11's default sensitivity settings are a bit low for proper volume levels.) You can always go the vst route later if needed.
      Last edited by dabluesman; 01-16-15, 08:09 AM. Reason: Edited for relevance
      Mimic Pro (Vexed), Diamond Custom 12" Snare, PDX-100 Toms, VH-13, CY-14-t Crashes, CY-14 China & Splash, CY-13R Ride, CY-5 X-Hat, MDS-9v Rack, DW Hardware, Tama Throne

Comment

Originally posted by VONMAN View Post
        This is my first post - just dove into the ekit universe!

I have begun piecing together my first ekit:

Roland TD-11, PD-125SX, KD-140, Alesis Surge 16" Ride.

The BIG question:

If I purchase superior drummer 2.0 - can I simply connect the TD-11 to my laptop via USB and run Superior Drummer as stand alone software? I'm only interested in using the setup for playing, not recording - so I'd like to avoid purchasing any additional software (like Pro Tools) if possible.

Actually, you do not need to purchase a separate, fancy host. Toontrack offers "SOLO" which is a simple application that hosts SD2 and it's free:
        http://www.toontrack.com/product/toontrack-solo/

To address your other question, if you have a Mac, the CoreAudio function of OSX allows you to use the TD-11 as your audio device, which is a huge plus. In that case all you need is your Mac, a USB/MIDI cable (printer cable) and your module - and of course SD2 and SOLO.

If you want a simpler, perhaps even more robust solution for live playing, (which I use) you should consider ToonTrack EZDrummer2. It does, in fact, operate both in stand-alone mode, or with a DAW/Host. You don't even need SOLO with EZD2. The one limitation is is doesn't allow you to map pad assignments in the software, but you can accomplish that in the module. In terms of sound control and playability, it's fantastic.

Good luck!

JP
        ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

If he doesnt have a Mac wont he require some type of external interface device like a Roland Um One and Duo Capture or similar for latency issues?

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
            Just use the free application from Toontrack - Toontrack Solo.

Pim
            Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

You will not get the same kind of response from Superior Drummer as the TD-11 own sounds, without a good audio interface.

I'm not saying you should go buy one right now, as you should try running with ASIO4ALL before you make a decision.

But having low latency is a deal-breaker for real-time drumming.

As said above, no additional software needed, but additional hardware may be required for performance reasons.
              ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
              ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
              PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

The 200bucks or so the interface(s) will cost - are worth EVERY SINGLE cent.

Comment

Geez! So much wrong information in this thread.

C'mon people, do some research before posting, please!

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                  Hmmm! See post below about using Toontrack's own Solo app. Or VSThost, or VSTlord. They are hosts but function as a stand alone for SD2.

Originally posted by dabluesman View Post
                  I would just load up the module with Vex kits and wear it out (also make sure each pad's sensitivity setting is up high enough.)
                  Not relevant to the conversation here.

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                  To address your other question, if you have a Mac, the CoreAudio function of OSX allows you to use the TD-11 as your audio device, which is a huge plus. In that case all you need is your Mac, a USB/MIDI cable (printer cable) and your module - and of course SD2 and SOLO.
                  TD11 as an audio interface works on a PC too.

Originally posted by jpsquared482 View Post
                  If you want a simpler, perhaps even more robust solution for live playing, (which I use) you should consider ToonTrack EZDrummer2. It does, in fact, operate both in stand-alone mode, or with a DAW/Host. You don't even need SOLO with EZD2. The one limitation is is doesn't allow you to map pad assignments in the software, but you can accomplish that in the module. In terms of sound control and playability, it's fantastic.
                  Yes, and true. EZ2 is simpler to use and cheaper. The sounds are very much compressed (like in AD2) and offer very little tweaking when it comes to adjust the sounds to your liking. The omission of mapping triggers into EZ2 is a HUGE limitation and the reason I would get AD2 (if your budget is limited) or Superior for the uncompressed sounds and the mapping.
                  DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                  Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
                    Geez! So much wrong information in this thread.

TD11 as an audio interface works on a PC too.
                    I was only commenting about the platform I am somewhat knowledgeable about - Macs. I didn't mean to imply that you can't do this with a PC, but thanks for clarifying. Others have mentioned on the forum that a PC needs something like the Mac's built-in CoreAudio. I know nothing about whether that's true or not. Is it true that you don't need some sort of application to accomplish this on a PC, whereas it's built into OSX?

Thanks, Perceval
                    ATV aDrums & aD5, Pearl Mimic Pro & DIY, eDRUMin 10, Agean R-series Silent Cymbals, Roland Handsonic HPD-20.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Very helpful.

The biggest thing I have learned from the comments is that I don't want to deal with latency issues by "cutting corners", and if I am going to spend any $ at all on software - I might as well buy the full version of it that offers mapping and most ease of use.

With that, I will add one more variable to the equation:

I have an old laptop with Pro Tools LE (version 7.?) and an MBOX2. That laptop is currently toast. I now have a new laptop to use for this application (need to dig up that Pro Tools install CD!)

Question:

Would it be best to simply upgrade to Pro Tools 11 ($200 at Sweetwater currently) thus allowing me to use my existing MBOX2 as an interface to reduce latency?

If so, how would the physical cable routing be setup? Would it be midi cable out of TD-11 to MBOX2 and then USB from MBOX2 to the laptop?

Thanks,

Vonman

Comment

Vonman. I'm doing exactly (exception of the Pro Tools) what you want to do with a TD15. I'm on a Windows 7 laptop.

Download the Roland USB driver (includes an ASIO driver for the module) from the Roland website. No need to use ASIO4ALL or an external audio interface.

Connect your module to the laptop via USB. I'm on EZDrummer 2 and I just select the TD15 as the MIDI device AND the output device. I set the ASIO settings to around 128 and it works fine. Plug my headphones into the module and good to go.
                        Last edited by billgtx; 01-16-15, 08:53 AM.
                        TD-25KV, Yamaha DXR15, MG10. Senn 280HD.

Comment

And if you want... EZD2 has a fully functional demo with reduced kit pieces that is time limited to 10 days. So you can try this setup out before you spend a dime.

Comment

Thanks billgtx.

I will be sure to try that out. Do you find the lack of mapping within the software cumbersome? If so, do you think I could accomplish the same setup technique as you have described above with Superior Drummer 2.0 as well?

Comment

EZD2 comes with a preconfigured mapping for Roland. I have not noticed a problem with that mapping and did not have to modify settings on my module.

I have no experience with SD so I can't comment.
                              Last edited by billgtx; 01-16-15, 09:46 AM. Reason: added SD2 disclaimer

Comment

Working...
                              X