Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD and VH12 - frustrating at best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD and VH12 - frustrating at best

Hi all

Trying to get these hats set up in SD and it is TOUGH.
    Basically I can get the "OK' but not great - I am using CC01 and CC04 in the settings
    I only get one sound from all closed hits - which is the edge note - even if I hit the bow.
    Cant 'learn' any notes as SD just MOVES the edge note to the next sample that I am trying to "learn'

Also - when fully opened there is like a noticeable 'clang' - where you can tell there is an 'end' to the sound - which makes it all sound a little floppy

Surely after all these years of SD2.o++ and Roland TD20 there is a simple solution ?
    But when looking for info I saw this post - which worries me.
    http://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced...drummer-set-up.

Anyone know?

Cheers

I got my HH working reasonably well in SD2 by doing this:

In the Midi window, select the HH pedal curve that matches your VH12/TD20 and playing style.

Then, go to the Mapping tab, select the HH. Delete all MIDI notes from everything in the window. Once all empty, select hatstrig and learn 4 HH edge postions: Closed, 1/4 closed, 12/ closed full open. Do the same for hatstrigtip for all 4 bow positions.

If needed, you can also make SD learn the closed (chick) and splash Midi notes.

That worked pretty well for me.

Good luck!
    DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Thanks Perceval - now JUST to make sure I get that - I go to MAPPING and empty the LOT ( all will then appear in white ) - then I right click on HATSTRIG so it goes orange - I then ??? - Physically hold the pedal in closed position , press learn and physically strike the edge, I then physically lift the pedal 'about 1/4 the way up and press learn and strike the edge - then repeat that at halfway and then fully opened???

After which I do EXACTLY the same when I highlight the HATSTRIGTIP in Orange

So in the end I do end up with a lot/ or most of notes still in the white 'un-learned' position ( like closed tip, closed edge etc etc )

Yes?

Comment

Isn't there a roland preset in there or edrums?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
          Isn't there a roland preset in there or edrums?
          Yep, first thing I tried, doesnt work well for me

Comment

Originally posted by Wotto View Post
            Thanks Perceval - now JUST to make sure I get that - I go to MAPPING and empty the LOT ( all will then appear in white ) - then I right click on HATSTRIG so it goes orange - I then ??? - Physically hold the pedal in closed position , press learn and physically strike the edge, I then physically lift the pedal 'about 1/4 the way up and press learn and strike the edge - then repeat that at halfway and then fully opened???

After which I do EXACTLY the same when I highlight the HATSTRIGTIP in Orange

So in the end I do end up with a lot/ or most of notes still in the white 'un-learned' position ( like closed tip, closed edge etc etc )

Yes?
            Yep!

Had better luck?

Comment

Nope ! - LOL
              It just sounded 'partly open ALL the time after that.

Comment

Then delete everything and try mapping (learn) the Closed, OpenA, OpenB OpenC and OpenD doing the same thing I told you.

Comment

Thanks Perceval - I am going to persist and do appreciate your info

Comment

So I pull out the old Drumkit from Hell VST last night and load it up - and the VH12 is 'nearly' perfect.
                    Yet in more up to date VST's ( Made of Metal , Avatar etc ) they are bad.
                    Go figure.

It seems that DFH hats have LESS articulations available - so I will try to lessen the articulations DOWN to only what DFH runs and see what happens next.

Comment

Hi all - Module back - all good - but these F$%#&&CKING hats are killing me !
                      Perceval I am doiing what you said and clearing all and then TRYING to learn the HATSTRIG and HATSTIPTRIG as you suggested - and getting NOWHERE fast.

Am I supposed to get a different note vale at Closed, 1/4 closed, 12/ closed full open??
                      As in am I supposed to see a note value for EACH of those - 4 different notes?
                      Because if so ( for example ) I am getting ONLY the SAME note each time ( eg I get note 'A#1' when I try and learn HATSTRIG at ALL 4 positions - and the same with HATSTIPTRIG )

WHat that does is stop me from having any tight closed sounds when I hit the hats edge or bow at any time- to test this further I went and LEARNT the CLOSED PEDAL and when I close the pedal I get all the HATSTRIG and HATS TIPTRIG sound ( where it all sounds loose and very slightly open )

I am at a complete and utter loss as to where to move next.

Cant someone with the same set up as me list all thier notes in a reply against all the HH positions and I can just manually type them in??

Anything ??

Apologies for frustration in this post

Wotto

Comment

Also - my physical triggers in the VH12 hats appear fine as when I hit the EDGE I get the RIM light lit on the TD20 module - and when I hit the BOW I do not - unsure if that info is useful or not
                        Last edited by Wotto; 02-06-15, 05:16 AM.

Comment

The mapping tab in SD2 might be of some help. Scroll the keyboard at the bottom so that
                          you can view all the low notes. Select the hats and all the mapped notes light up in colors.
                          Now, every note you play om your kit will show as a key pressed down. Keep a look on
                          that while playing your hats and you should be able to figure out what notes your module
                          is sending and if their mapped right.

In my eyes the trickiest part is that you need to fiddle around with the HATSCTRL and
                          its velocity curve. The first thing you would go for is the right most slider below the
                          IN-axis. The default number is 127 and you would bring that down by sliding it to
                          the left until you can fully close the hats, but no further. That's your starting point for
                          the curve. I like to save this as a curve preset, or whatever it's called, and then try
                          out some modification using the other sliders and dots.

Comment

I also use the presets "more closed" in the pedal settings window.

When mapping the "hatstrig", it does show up the same MIDI note, but the module is sending CC positions as well. SD will use that to give you the different openings. Make sure the td20 is sending CC info over MIDI. Not different notes for different positions.

If you wish to use different notes ( and not CC) for different positions, you will need to use the mapping for Open A, Open B, ... Closed, Chick, ...

Comment

Thanks guys - I will continue to persist and I am getting closer - I will try these tips tonight and advise
                              Apologies again if I post sounding frustrated

Comment

Working...
                              X