Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Drummer or BFD3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Drummer or BFD3

hey gang,

I am writing to ask please for help choosing a VST.
    I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 choices:
    -Superior Drummer 2.0 and the NYC Legacy 2.0
    -or FXpansion BFD3 and the Percussion Expansion.

price is about the same.
    here's my situation.
    I am new to drumming. I have been playing acoustic guitar, keys and singing for a few decades. amateur level. but super into it.
    I also record for fun.
    a few weeks ago I played a Vdrums set, loved it like crazy, and bought a TD15 KV.
    I am well familiar with buying VST's for keys, in the digital piano world.
    so, I understand that getting a VST to use with my Vdrum kit is a good thing.

any advice and thoughts super appreciated,
    Charlie

Dont leave out Studio Drummer by Native Instruments, I think it sounds better than the 2 you are looking at and is a lot less expensive !
    Roland TD-12 Ludwig A2E 5pc kit, VH-11
    Studio Drummer, Abbey Road 60's 70's 80's, AD2, SSD4, SD3
    Komplete Audio 6, JBL Eon 515XT, Mackie FX12, DAW Studio One 3

Comment

hey thank you very much for your reply.
      I have read alot and checked youtube videos abit.
      here is an interesting review of 5 VST's.
      the guy calls BFD3 the ultimate.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...struments.html

he does not even mention Studio Drummer. (ah, I see he does review another NI VST.....Battery 4.)
      I am checking it out now.
      would you please possibly tell me more about it sounding better. (I do so much appreciate you recommending a cheaper VST too.) I'm not afraid of spending $400 here. but if it can be cheaper for something just as good, fantastic.

Comment

For me, having the hats with the transmutation in Superior Drummer sealed the deal.

I've heard many say that toms are amazing in BFD3, but toms in Superior are not so bad either.

There is no demo for Superior, so you have to believe the Youtube videos and reviews.

There is a demo for BFD3, but it is so limited that it does not give a good impression of the product.
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Here is the link to the web site http://www.native-instruments.com/en...tudio-drummer/

I had Superior Drummer and didnt like it, The only good thing was the Hi Hats played good but the sound was not that great compared to Studio Drummer IMO.

Comment

you guys rock!!
            thank you so much.
            checking out Studio Drummer.
            any thoughts about Battery 4?
            (I see this on their website. the full Kontakt 5 is $399.)

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...tudio-drummer/
            Last edited by chasmanian; 12-23-14, 10:17 AM.

Comment

You dont need the full Kontak to run any of their VST's, you get the free Kontakt player with any VST or can even download it on their site free.I have no experience with Battery,
              Last edited by yzf125; 12-23-14, 11:46 AM.

Comment

thank you so much for your reply again.

regarding Battery 4, I just read this in that review page I linked to above:
                " Battery is a deep drum sampler and will suit those who are more into creating beats and sounds for electronic music and sound design."
                Last edited by chasmanian; 12-23-14, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah I think Battery is more for the sample pad guys, well anyway good luck with whatever you purchase, Each VST has their strengths and weaknesses you will find and none of them are perfect... Im still waiting for one that is

Comment

thank you so much. you have helped me alot.

Comment

This goes without saying, but make sure you grab a copy of the manual and have it to hand for the month of use, particularly for BFD3 - learning curve is very steep.
                      ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                      ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                      PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

thank you very much. I am looking at the BFD3 manual.
                        do you (or anyone, have any thoughts about this:
                        I am intrigued by, and definitely love the idea of getting a VST that allows a lot of tweakability.
                        but, I super love the idea of getting a VST that has a lot of awesome presets, designed by a someone who has expertise in drumming and getting a good mic'ed drum sound.
                        any thoughts about that regarding BFD3 and/or Superior Drummer 2.0?

I'm reading this thread now:
                        http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewt...36523732ef2132

Last edited by chasmanian; 12-23-14, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Most of those drum VSTs come with a few presets and MIDI files.
                          If you want to start cheap, check out DrumMica, it is free and pretty good, with lots of presets.

http://de-de.sennheiser.com/drummica

PS. Google translate is your friend if you can't understand German
                          DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I can tell you about BFD3 since I use it the most, but I'm thinking of switching to SD2 for some of the new Adpaks they bought out recently. I really could do without the extra complexity and loading times that BFD3 forces upon you when you want to make the slightest tweak but it does sound of most authentic when its all working properly.

For instance, if you want more ambiance in your sound you bring up the room mics, but it's not clear when you ever peak on the master mix.

There are two types of reverb in all VST drums btw;

1) Reverb recorded from the actual room, which is baked into the samples and simply "turned up" raw.
                            2) Post-FX / CPU processed reverb, that you can add to any channel.

The most natural and CPU friendly way of increasing ambiance therefore, is to raise the room mics and turn down everything else. If that still isn't enough, then think about applying additional post-fx to the room channel, or other channels, managing the fx-chain; what gets done and in what order, before sending to the master.

The tweaking in BFD3 is very much catered towards half drummer, half mix engineer - which is why it's such a turn-off sometimes, but they include plenty of presets (some more CPU intensive than others) so you can see and learn exactly what is going on in the effects chain, and in what order, to make it's unique sound.

At the end of the day though, no matter how many tweaks you have, samples are king. Pick the VST with the best sound above all else.

◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                            ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                            PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

thank you very much again perceval.

Kabonfaiba, thank you again. I have been reading more about, and watching and listening to more videos about BFD3 .
                              I understand what you are saying.
                              finding out a little more about it, but from what I see and hear right now,
                              I think the pros might outweigh the cons for me.
                              I think I'm gonna go for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X