Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modules and VST's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modules and VST's

Hello, I'm a long time acoustic and sometimes electronic drummer.

I have an old Yamaha electronic set that a friend gave to me about 15 years ago when he replaced it with a TD20. He must have had it for about 5 to ten years before that. I think it is a DT500 or DTExpress, not sure. It seems to work fine.

I play it when I need to be quiet and that is more often than not lately. I've noticed I don't get the same workout on the electronic set that I do on the acoustics.

I have some spare acoustics and I would like to convert them to electronic.

My questions have to do with the modules and software like Superior Drummer. I've been reading around trying to get information and I see that people that have 2box, TD15 etc. are using Superior Drummer with them. If those modules are supposed to have such good sounds, why do they need the software?

Also, if you are going to use the software anyway for the sounds, what difference does the module make? If you didn't have a module and you used something like Alesis Trigger I/O would that with the software, would that work just as well?

What benefit would it be to me to have a module like 2box or TD15 as opposed to the older Yamaha I currently have if I am going to use it with Superior Drummer?

Thanks for all of your help with this!
    Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Hi there, welcome to the forum,

First the "why VST over module sounds" ...easy...the quality of sounds, dynamics, level of detail of cymbals is much better with VSTs than "on-board" module sounds. It is like day and night. Most modules (even on TD15/TD30) trigger MIDI sound samples while VSTs are multi Go carefully sampled drums. If you are planning to record or simply want a solid, realistic drum sound, you have to go the VST route. But this means steeper learning curve and more ££ investment into an audio interface (to keep low latency), a decent PC and software.

A newer module may not bring you significant advantages if you plan to use your ekit solely with VSTs. The module is absolutely necessary as it is the hardware that translates your playing into MIDI information that is then fed into the VST software which triggers large banks of samples.

Newer/more expensive modules have more advanced MIDI processing capabilities i.e. send more detailed MIDI information for example CC data from some types of pads which can be translated into positional sensing to reflect the tonal differences of various "zones" (half edge, edge, centre etc) on for example a snare (provided the VST software has the corresponding sample banks).

The 2box module is a slightly different beast as you can load WAV files into the drum brain itself via a SD card, i.e. it doesnt need to be hooked to a computer to trigger high quality samples such as those from SD2 or BFD.

You have one alternative way to go the VST route without module sound - there s a plugin (cant remember the name right now!) out there that allows to translate audio signal straight into MIDI you need a good audio interface into which you plug each pad fed into the plugin in a DAW to trigger VSTs - cheaper but harder to setup.

In short - the module is essential for VST which sounds way better than module sounds. For simple practicing etc, your module may be perfectly adequate (had the DT module years ago, worked well!) to start into this new venture!

hope this helps

Comment

• perceval
      perceval commented
      Editing a comment
      that plugin is called DSPTrigger. Would need a very big sound interface and a very fast computer to do a full kit. A few pads, no problem, a full 5 drums, 4 cymbals with all the zones comes to 14 inputs, if you want 2-zone pads on things like ride, snare, and HH.

Yes, that helps a lot, thank you.

Is the "fast track" an example of the interface you mentioned?

OK, I will start with putting intrigg triggers on the drums as well as 682dums mesh heads and add them to the module.

Then I'll get the software and access that through midi and see how it goes. I will try to borrow a newer module and see if I notice a difference.

Thanks again.
    Yamaha DTX502 module, mapex piccolo snare, 10" and 12" vintage Tama Superstar toms, 16" no name blue sparkle floor tom (from my first kit in 1979 resurrected from the attic) Triggera Intriggs on snare and two mounted toms, Roland RT-10 on floor tom, two Kriggs, Yamaha RH135, pcy135, and pcy155

Comment

Just to be clear that an alesis IO would suffice, as you don't need on board sounds. Be warned though it is has some latency issues. megadrum is far superior

Comment

Thanks for that information. I was actually looking at the Yamaha DTX502. That looks like it offers a lot for the price.

Comment

• perceval
          perceval commented
          Editing a comment
          it does. and it will trigger a lot better than the Alesis I/O. Good luck!

Originally posted by OpposingMotion View Post
        Most modules (even on TD15/TD30) trigger MIDI sound samples while VSTs are multi Go carefully sampled drums.
        Slight Objection: TD15/TD30 don't trigger samples.

They don't feature samples to begin with.
        What is triggered is a generated sound from an algorithm, otherwise known as 'Physical Modeling' i.e. in Rolands' lingo 'SuperNatural' or earlier 'COSM'. Same kind of principle as many other modeling devices.

But I wholeheartedly agree: VST sounds way better than modules (barring the 2box Drumit-Five, due to 32gb of user-loadable samples...)

HTH
        Greetings from Switzerland,
        - Dänoh

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Working...
        X