Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drum Volume Inconsistency - TD30KV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Volume Inconsistency - TD30KV

Fortunately, with the help of the manual and threads after a few more hours of pressing buttons, I have been able to copy kits and swap out drums as needed. I'm very thankful and appreciate the forum members. Thank you. Using this same approach, I have spent more hours and have observed and struggle to find my next challenge. I have found that some of my favourite drum sounds create spikes of very high volume despite striking the trigger pad as close to the middle as possible, at even intervals and striking intensity. This can even occur unpredictably with very subtle striking when one would really not want loud drum sounds. This would be horrible for live performance. I do know that the volume for each trigger can be adjusted, but Im trying to get all my pads to be consistent in sound volume (not regardless of how hard I hit) based on a strike of the same or very similar intensity. For example: If I were to just hit quarter notes on a snare pad, the volume should be respective of how hard I hit the mesh. (On a side note, I always want my rims to be active to the fullest extent (even though I have not messed with this yet) especially with my snare and added effects triggers because I play a fair bit of cross stick and as well, like to occasionally roll against the edge of the trigger (rim and pad), but this is not what Im referring to and actually haven't yet observed any volume spikes when doing so. LOVING the kit though and keeping hope alive I can learn to fully leverage the amazing dynamics the kit has to offer in any playing environment (including live performance)

Did you tighten the heads like the manual tells you to when you set the kit up? Sounds like the most possible issue.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

yes. Had done my snare and kick. don't really find this issue with my toms and have not tightened them at all. even with the studio kit snare, its very noticeable.

Comment

You should tighten ALL the pads. I found with the 30 that I was tightening the toms and BD about where I used to tighten the older snares. I had to tighten the snare a LOT for the 128S. On top of all that tightening, I still had to finesse the sensitivity and other settings until I felt the response was realistic to the playing.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

ok I will try to tighten the snare more to see if I can improve the consistency. thnx so much!

Comment

Also, this sounds like standard "hot spotting". You said you were trying to hit the snare right in the center...try hitting it an inch or so away from the center.
            eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
            aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
            TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

I was wondering what hitting in the middle is intended do sound like other than hitting in the middle from a volume consistency or characteristic perspective? I have attempted to hit consistently all over the pad, I should've have elaborated, but was trying to more convey that I had repeated / consecutive strikes on all parts of the pad at isolated areas (such as the middle) working from the center out and outer rim in towards the middle in effort to determine whether I could figure out how it was the volume either dropped or increased, but couldn't figure out any pattern, # of hits or intensity that cause the inconsistency to occur.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong (I haven't taken a new pad apart yet), but aren't the older cones softer foam, and the newer cones more rubber-based, or harder? This could explain why the newer pads come so much more sensitive.
                Alan

Comment

D Nuts... I've recently had the same issue. I'll be playing along consistently and then all of a sudden, hit the dead centre and the sound spikes!! Scares the crap out of me every time!! Lol I just got the new 30kv. The manual said to adjust the heads before using, but they didn't say tighten or loosen. I backed each off by 1 turn. I don't recall the spikes before doing this, so I will tighten them 1 turn each and put them back. Even though they felt tight enough, why should they have been adjusted?? Did I go the wrong way? Thanks guys!

Comment

Comment

Well now that I tightened everything back up to original...+ 1/2 turn tighter, it improved, however still happens occasionally. This time I noticed the "rim light" flashed?? Dead Center of the head, and the stick did not hit the rim at all. Any ideas??

Comment

• Alan VEX
                        Alan VEX commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Now, you start with the module tweaks. Check your sensitivity and rim/head ratios. (pg 127/128 of your Roland manual.

Thank you AV. Does the VEX 50 download for the TD30 already account for this type of tweaking? In other words, if I get the Vex Kits and upload, will this still occur?, or will I still be tweaking?

Comment

• Alan VEX
                        Alan VEX commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Actually, I did provide a file with my settings, and Roland's defaults. However, every player should expect to tweak their own kit/pads based on their playing style and dynamic. I find this especially true of the TD-30 pads. So, to answer your question... maybe... but once you get your pads reactive to your style and dynamic, that part's done. You can use those settings with everything from that point forward.

LOL....I like how you sugar coated it. (it was the nice way of saying, don't be so lazy or complacent and get tweaking!!). lol Ok then. Where would one find your file that you mention for settings? I think the hesitation or uncertaintly is that if I go changing settings, I'll loose what I have. I know it's all there under a default somewhere, but being a newbie....crawl before walking, then take a good run at it. Read a lot and ask knowledgable people like you a lot of questions! I appreciate the replies!

Comment

Working...
                      X