This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-30 Owners: V Expressions LTD QUICKSTART GUIDE

Since I get a lot of questions from new TD-30 owners regarding the ins and outs of loading backups, I've created a "QUICKSTART GUIDE".

Remember, for "importing" older expansions (TD-20 & 20X), See this thread.

Hope that helps!
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Originally posted by Alan @ V Expressions View Post
    Since I get a lot of questions from new TD-30 owners regarding the ins and outs of loading backups, I've created a "QUICKSTART GUIDE".

Remember, for "importing" older expansions (TD-20 & 20X), See this thread.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for this, been meaning to get into this! I'm in Orlando by the way, I noticed you too are from Florida, sweet!
    TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada http://www.musicaespada.com/ and JamCo https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment, https://www.jamcoband.com/

Comment

G'day Alan, not sure if this is the right place to ask and not too stupid seeing it's a newbie question.

The VEX Engineer pack is awesome, thanks but I'm sure I'm missing something. I've tried one of the member's custom kit (not sure who they were, but thanks - hopefully I can return the favour) from the thread that custom kits are shared - the "Jamming7" and "Jamming8" and in comparison, it is a lot more punchier and tight. Do I still need to adjust the setting for pad, head tuning as well as everything else? Sorry if it's a dumb question as I'm still learning but I thought that as soon as it's loaded I wouldn't need to do much else apart from tweaks. I tried copying the setting from the kit to the packs but having no luck. I did read somewhere that there's no "global" setting for kits as they're kit specific, is that right? If so, I guess I need to read a bit more...in fact a lot, ha! Maybe if anyone has the Engineer pack they could be kind enough to share their settings.

Anyway, off to bed for an early start. I'll grab another pack off you tomorrow as soon as I get back from work which will probably be your evening time.

Thanks.
      >>
      Last edited by ThrashBanger; 02-08-14, 09:29 AM.
      Current setup: TD-30K; Off-Set Double Bass Pedal; Black Roc N Soc Nitro . Future (hopefully not too distant) setup: Upgrade toms and hi-hats to KV
      DRUMMERS BANG HARDER! :p

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really sure how to answer your question without being at your module.

Oh, and please do not share our kits. Share only your own creations.

Thanks, Alan. I guess you're right. If it helps in anyway, I haven't really adjusted any settings at all and kept it default.

For sure, wouldn't dream of sharing unless it's what I've made...but that might be a while.
      Current setup: TD-30K; Off-Set Double Bass Pedal; Black Roc N Soc Nitro . Future (hopefully not too distant) setup: Upgrade toms and hi-hats to KV

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm assuming the shared kit did not have pad settings, and was only the "kit" settings. If so, you'll just want to compare the compression parameters between the two kits. You can always try duplicating our kit and copying in the other's effects to see if you like what you get.

Halfway thru the Studio1 pack and.....OMG!!!......That's more like it. Punchy, tight and with decent volume. I think I may need to be pried off my kit!

But if anyone else has come across this dilemma, I did reload the Engineer pack and still not as good as the Studio. I'll try and copy setting from the latter to the former if that helps but either way, I'm chuffed to the max

Cheers, Alan et al.

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I thought it was the other way around. Now, I'm really curious about your pad settings. Have you tweaked your pads on the default Roland kits to achieve what you feel is a realistic response? I have some pad settings I can provide you that may help. You have a complete TD-30 kit setup, right?

I haven't tweaked the pads at all apart from head tuning within the module itself and tightening the tuning bolts on the KD-120 as well as adjusting the threshold for better "sensitivity. So I've pretty much kept as is as factory settings when I use the default kit setup and have not adjusted any of the settings when loading you VEXes and member's shared kits/backup. Yes I do have a complete TD-30K kit. If that's not too much trouble for you, I'd definitely appreciate if you could share your pad settings for the Engineer packs only. Thanks again.

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        You should begin with tightening all heads as per Roland's instructions in the manual. The main reason for this is to insure you do not wear out your cones prematurely. After you've done that, I'd suggest playing each pad independently to tweak each's realism in response to your personal style of playing. I will have to sit down and write out what tweaks I made. I mainly tweaked the new snare, tom and BD pads on the 30. The default settings felt "rushed" to me, and not as polished as previous releases. I think many people have done more tweaking to the new pads than prior pads; from what I've read on the forums.

Okay, really? Interesting as I did notice that in the TD-30K quick setup guide but was told I wouldn't need to from the guys at the music shop where I purchased my kit from seeing it's a "Rolls Royce of drumkits" - all setting are at their optimum level - obviously not so with the default kits. But I'll definitely give your suggestion a shot. Much appreciated.

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        They said that simply because it was a "positive" selling tactic. In fact, you do need to tighten end pads straight out of the box from Roland. It's in the manual.

So Alan you tightened every pad then?........even the kick pad?

Comment

• Alan VEX
        Alan VEX commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup.........

Hi there folks, I have just received my TD30K Special Edition kit - I have not even connected the module to the pads yet, so it has never been switched on. I am interested in obtaining vex sounds right away, based on the positive feedback from everyone on this forum.

As I have only the factory settings, will I need to create a backup to my settings, as-per the quick start instructions? Apologies, my first venture into importing sounds and I'm overwhelmed before I've even plugged in and played the stock sounds!
      TD30K Special Edition, Fender Expo (compact PA) System x2, Roland HS-5 Session Mixer - Yamaha and Tama acoustic drums, Zildjian A custom and Oriental cymbals, Pearl Vinnie Paul 14" x 8" birch snare. Tama Chrome Iron Cobra double bass pedals

Comment

If you haven't changed anything, there is no need to make a backup. However, doing so will create the folder structure needed on the card; as will formatting.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Hi Alan,

Do you find the PD128 to be better than the 125 on the snare? I have a TD30 module now and woinder if it is worth the difference.
          Peter

Comment

Personally, I do; but because as a seasoned player, I like to dig into the rim a lot. The 128 is definitely a step in the right direction for that type of player. If this is you as well, then you'd probably like it a lot. If you don't really use the rim too much, then you can stick with the 125.
            Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan,every gain is worth it for me. Going from the TD25/VH11 to TD30/VH13 was worth it.

Comment

Hi Alan,
                i have the Engineers and VST for my TD30 that I bought from you a few years ago. Do these kits take advantage of the super natural feature of the TD30?
                hope all is well.
                Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by jimorlando View Post
                  Hi Alan,
                  i have the Engineers and VST for my TD30 that I bought from you a few years ago. Do these kits take advantage of the super natural feature of the TD30?
                  hope all is well.
                  Technically? Yes. Were they modeled on the 30? No. When imported to the 30, youíll notice a slight improvement in sound and playability. However, they do no utilize the additional sound bank of the 30. (obviously, as they were designed prior to the 30ís release) Iím sure you realize you can future tweak them with the 30ís updated engine.
                  Alan

Comment

Working...
                  X