Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VExpressions for TD-15 - WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VExpressions for TD-15 - WOW!

Okay, I've had my TD-15 home and set-up for just about over a week. It's taken some time to tweak pad placement and get used to the kit, but I've been very happy. Except for the Roland stock kits. Many of them are fun, few are useful. I am a beginner drummer, but to me, I have only been using 4-5 of the kits often. So, I can get a basic rock sound, jazz sound, tight sound etc. But beyond that, I can honestly say that I will never use most of the stock kits. Not only because they don't fit the music I play, but they are just either kitschy or too digital sounding. One or two have some good parts but unusable toms.

So today I invested $45 in the new VEX Pack EVOLUTION for the TD-15. It took 20 seconds to download and another 20 seconds to load onto my TD-15. The kits automatically fill up the currently empty 51-100 slots.

And all I can say is WOW!!!

All of the sudden, the drums have really come to life! I have only been playing with these kits for about the last 45 minutes, but it is like I have swapped out an entirely new module!! Finally I have realistic-sounding toms on a variety of kits. The cymbals have really come to life (loving the Zildjian A-Custom kit). The snare choices are varied, but more importantly - sound real. I would say 30 of the stock Roland kits, the snares just had a "digitial" sound to them. These snares are awesome!

The variety of kits is awesome, but instead of throwing a bunch of novelty kits at you like Roland does, this VEX kits gives you a large number of practical options. Kits with big huge sounds, kits that are sloppy wet, kits that are tight, some really good jazz choices, lots of stuff to choose from if you like rock. On the stock TD-15, I could have had 4-5 kits and deleted the rest and not missed them. On these, I can honestly say, right off the bat, that only 2-3 kits are probably something I wouldn't use often. The other 45+ kits are all realistic, practical, and sound great. I really feel like I have a module now that can emulate a wide variety of specific commercially-available acoustic set-ups. Now with a click of a button instead of going from some sort of digital reggae kit to a digital samba kits, I can go from a Tama Superstar to a Gretsch Round Badge.

Like I said, I am less than an hour into this expansion pack, but I can say it is easily the best upgrade I could have done for the TD-15. In fact, I would say this is a mandatory update, just as much as firmware. Seriously, I cannot for the life of my understand why Roland can't sell modules with these kinds of kits, but thankfully we have VEX (and this board, otherwise I probably never would have heard of them).

If you have a TD-15 and are not using the VEX kits, you are either spending a lot of time doing kit editing or you are totally and completely missing out. I mean, just.... WOW.
    Last edited by sjshooter; 06-15-13, 01:27 PM.
    Kit: TD-15; PD-125BK, PDX-100(3); KD-120; CY-15R; CY-13R; CY-12C; VH-11
    Hardware: MDS-12V rack, DW9000 pedal, DW9500HH, DW5003 snare stand
    Audio Simmons DA200S, Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
    Etc: Roc N' Soc Nitro throne, Vic Firth 5B Hickory and SD1 General Maple

I totally agree and had pretty much the same experience with Vexing my TD-15!
    Mimic Pro (Vexed), Diamond Custom 12" Snare, PDX-100 Toms, VH-13, CY-14-t Crashes, CY-14 China & Splash, CY-13R Ride, CY-5 X-Hat, MDS-9v Rack, DW Hardware, Tama Throne

Comment

hehehehe....welcome to the world of Vex. No Roland module should be without it.
      8 piece DIY Acrylic, 2x2Box DrumIt5, Gen16 4xDCP, DIY Acrylic&Gen16 Conversions, Sleishman Twin-QuadSteele hybrid, Gibraltar&DrumFrame rack, DW9502LB, Midi Knights Pro Lighting
      http://www.airbrushartists.org/DreamscapeAirbrushRealm

Comment

I totally agree. I had a td4 before the td15 and I struggled a lot just to get a single decent sounding kit
        So as soon as I got the td15 I immediately purchased the vex pack and I really could not be happier. It really is a mandatory to purchase for every Roland customer.
        Roland TD15 --> PICTURE
        XM 12" snare - pdx100 - 2x pdx8 - 12" DIY with Wronka Easytrigger
        cy12c - cy13r - cy14c
        Triggera Krigg

Comment

I have a td15 for about two months and I am very happy with it, I cannot imagine how will I be when updating vex!!!

I think tomorrow is a good day for the update...

Bye and congrats!

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

Comment

Originally posted by sjshooter View Post

If you have a TD-15 and are not using the VEX kits, you are either spending a lot of time doing kit editing or you are totally and completely missing out. I mean, just.... WOW.
            Thanks bro for the kinds words.....I created and built Evolution for the exact reasons you stated. I saw past the Stock kits, and found the power of the TD15 module. I would have to say with confidence, it sounds as good as the TD30. The 30 giving you far more possibilities, but a crunch on the wallet. I appreciate all the great feedback. I loved Evolution as I was building it. It was a terrifically fun pack to make and play those kits! Working on another great pack for the TD15 due out around Christmas. Keep spreading the word for us. You guys are awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by fiddlebak View Post
              Working on another great pack for the TD15 due out around Christmas.
              Any hints?
              Kit: TD-15; PD-125BK, PDX-100(3); KD-120; CY-15R; CY-13R; CY-12C; VH-11
              Hardware: MDS-12V rack, DW9000 pedal, DW9500HH, DW5003 snare stand
              Audio Simmons DA200S, Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
              Etc: Roc N' Soc Nitro throne, Vic Firth 5B Hickory and SD1 General Maple

Comment

I like hearing the 15 sounds as good as the 30

I've had the TD15 for about a month now. Using the Evolution pack for about a week or so. It really does get much more out of the module than I could do for the amount of time I want to spend editing. Im terrible with editing. I'll sit down to build the perfect sounds, and next thing I know I've just spent an hour or two jamming on the kit, with very little to no editing done.

Now I just need to use the vex kits to piece together my perfect kit, but I think Vex may have already done that for me. I seem to be stuck on #93. the tama maples. Love that kit. I also love Tite Kit and the N&C kit and the Gretcsh kits. Fords Garage is fun. and Spare Parts is cool to play with. I want to move the Zildian K's over to a custom kit. As soon as I can force myself to stop playing drums for a few minutes.

Thanks Chris/Allen/anyone else thats part of Vexpressions. Excellent job on this one.
                Noble & Cooley acoustics. Meinl cymbals.
                Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

I just got my TD-15 last week, and just got rid of my TD-20 today so I can get myself out of a bad spot that was caused by a bank error. Once I get everything cleared away, I plan to VEX my 15.
                  Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

Well, isn't this an unexpected surprise. I'm new to all of this especially the forum. I read little things here and there about 'kits'. Until I hit this thread and then the Vex site, I was clueless. From the talk, I am very anxious to try this out. I'm pretty much experiencing the same thing sjshooter has. While I've experimented with different styles of songs and genres, it was mildly fun to use one of the special kits to match the song. I have come to only really use 2-3 kits and various unique settings on the other kits to get what I want.

I'll probably try this VEX thing very soon.

You folks have got my attention.

Quick question: Since the VEX will fill in 51-100, I no longer have 'User Kit' slots. What do I do when I need to customize my pads for a particular song?
                    Last edited by Macarina; 06-19-13, 01:52 PM.

Comment

So you have watches from 1-50. These are the factory presets. Copy the set that you want 51-100 to 1-50 and then rearrange what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Kudirka View Post
                        I like hearing the 15 sounds as good as the 30

The statement is a bit exaggerated. Td 30 has more natural sound. It has other samples from the TD-15 countries. Get me wrong but, the TD-30 module is better at everything. See price and it will tell you everything.

Comment

Originally posted by td20td20 View Post
                          The statement is a bit exaggerated. Td 30 has more natural sound. It has other samples from the TD-15 countries. Get me wrong but, the TD-30 module is better at everything. See price and it will tell you everything.
                          Lol. I'm sure it's greatly exagerated. As a td15 owner, I still like to hear it tho. My plan is to get a td30 eventually.
                          Until then, I'm just gonna enjoy what I have. The 15 Is awesome.
                          Noble & Cooley acoustics. Meinl cymbals.
                          Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by td20td20 View Post
                            Higher price doesn't always mean better product, just look at the PDX-100 (and other countless products from various manufacturers..) The original statement about the 15 sounding as good as the 30 came from the Vex programmer who has been buried deep in both modules for a long enough time, I feel, to be able to make such a statement with some authority. I wouldn't knock it as being too exaggerated, fiddlebak knows what he's talking about. Obviously the 15 isn't a 30, but maybe more like a 30-lite.. Either way the statement helps to show the potential of both modules.
                            Mimic Pro (Vexed), Diamond Custom 12" Snare, PDX-100 Toms, VH-13, CY-14-t Crashes, CY-14 China & Splash, CY-13R Ride, CY-5 X-Hat, MDS-9v Rack, DW Hardware, Tama Throne

Comment

And can I get VEX kits for my Roland TD-11?
                              Roland TD-11: PD-105 snare, PDX-100 toms (3); CY-13R ride; CY-12 crash (2); KD-9 kick; Iron Cobra HP900 kick pedal; VH-10 hi-hat; Iron Cobra HH605 hi-hat stand; Simmons DA200s monitor; Sony MDR-7520 and Audioquest Nightowl headphones; AD2; VEX Apex, Sync, Icons, Boost, Masters 1-2; Drum-Tec LA Studios, Real Acoustic, Alternate Rock Sound Editions

Comment

Working...
                              X