I want to get a VEX pack but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get a VEX pack but...

I was wanting to get the correct info on all that i need to actually get it into my td-10 exp brain. Cables, software, etc. thanks. Also the most cost efficient way!! Thanks

You just need the following 2 things:
    (1) a USB interface that is capable of sending long sysex messages like this one: Edirol UM-1ex, and
    (2) a program to send the sysex messages. Of course, I would recommend VDrumLib because I wrote it and support it. But, if all you want to do is transmit the pack, you could also use MIDI-Ox

Here are the instructions for sending the expansion to your TD-10 via VDrumLib:
    http://www.vdrumlib.com/midi_txd.html

-SD-

Comment

VDrumLib is your best bet for software. You'll need a midi interface of some sort and two midi cables (in and out).
      There's some good information on all this both here and on the VEX website

I just added you as a friend on Youtube too (I'm www.youtube.com/AusDisciple there)

EDIT - SD, looks like we posted simultaneously
      Last edited by SuperPuss; 12-18-08, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post

EDIT - SD, looks like we posted simultaneously
        Great minds think alike

-SD-

Comment

Thanks for the fast response and help. How much then am i looking to spend above and beyond the $50 for the vex packs?

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by vdrumforGod View Post
            Thanks for the fast response and help. How much then am i looking to spend above and beyond the $50 for the vex packs?

Brian
            That depends on what you already have. Do you already have a MIDI interface on your PC? If not, then that cost around $40. VDL is free to try for ten days which should be long enough for you to load one VEX pack. If you need to use it beyond the 10-day trial it costs $20, but you get tech support from a vdrummer that knows what you are trying to do. MIDI-Ox is free, but it isn't that easy to use, you can't mix and match kits, you get no tech support, and it only works on Windows PC's. Btw, what kind of PC do you have -- Mac or Windows?

-SD-

Comment

Originally posted by SiliconDrummer View Post
              Great minds think alike

-SD-

Comment

I have a pc. I dont have any usb/midi interface cables. I have seen some dirt cheap on ebay, but I am skeptical.

Comment

$40 for the cable, get the roland one mentioned above. I got a different one and I got burned.
                  I think it is $20 to register the vdrumlib software

That's it!

Comment

I have a pc. I dont have any usb/midi interface cables. I have seen some dirt cheap on ebay, but I am skeptical.
                    -just a side note:

Even though SD wrote VDL... he doesn't lie about Midi-Ox. Not user friendly at all!!!

As far as the midi cable, I bought this one. It works like a champ!

E
                    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

I can't stand MidiOx. That is all.
                      Alan
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Yes, you should be very skeptical. While some of those cheap cables do work, I have to say that I've seen many, many people burned by those cheap cables. Here is one thread that shows what I mean:
                        http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39959

Funny that they all seem to look the same, but some work and some don't. I have bought a few bad ones from VDL customers just to test them and take them apart. They all look the same on the outside because they share the same plastic housing and cables, but they vary quite a bit on the insides.

So, if you don't mind taking the risk to save $20, then go ahead and give it a try. Just keep in mind that you may just end up spending $20 only to find out that you still need to spend another $40 more for a unit that does work.

Since I provide the tech support for VDrumLib, I've supported many people over the years with many different MIDI cables. The cable that I always recommend is the Edirol UM-1ex. So far, it is the only cable, that I know of, with a 100% success rate.

-SD-

Comment

Step away from the cheap cables...go with the Roland Edirol UM-1ex cable. Costs more, but hey, it actually WORKS! I'm speaking from experience here...
                          My Kit's Evolution Pics...

Comment

having a td 20 if i got vdrum librarian could i simply just use a cf card to load
                            my td 20 kits to the pc? or is there an advantage using midi? details would be appreciated. thanks
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Originally posted by jammin777 View Post
                              having a td 20 if i got vdrum librarian could i simply just use a cf card to load my td 20 kits to the pc?
                              Yes. The vast majority of TD-20 owners use a Compact Flash card with VDrumLib - that includes me.

...is there an advantage using midi? details would be appreciated. thanks
                              Well, I guess some people have a PC always hooked up to their module, so it is convenient for them to use MIDI. Also, with MIDI you can just load one kit at a time, or tweak just one parameter. So, you don't have to worry about MIDI messing with your trigger settings, etc. But, with the CF Card, you have to do an entire module backup which includes trigger settings, etc. To me, the entire backup is not a problem because I just use VDL to copy all of my setup info into each of my module backups.

There may be other benefits to the MIDI route. But, that would would depend on your personal setup and usage scenarios. I prefer CF most of the time -- it is just faster, and more convenient for me.

-SD-

Comment

Working...
                              X