Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Review...VEX ToolBox expansion for TD9

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mini Review...VEX ToolBox expansion for TD9

    The TOOLBOX V Expressions expansion for the TD9

    I was lucky enough to be asked to test this new expansion set of kits for the TD9. It is a collection of 31 different kits to suit many different styles.
    First impression...WOW. I've had the TD9 for a few months, but I had no idea that this module was capable of these sounds. I honestly thought it had new samples.
    The kits are really expressive and full sounding. They range from an acoustic in a basement to a mic'd stage kit. What stuck me first was that none of these kits is a "novelty", like many stock kits on the module...they all are usable beautifully sounding drum sets. The snare can really make or break a kit's sound and there are so many here that I love. After playing them for a few nights, I can honestly say that these really blow the stock TD9 kits away.

    They load in really easily, and it is simple to switch between the ToolBox backup and the stock kits by loading them up from the USB key.

    An earlier post by Chris from VEX listed the kits:
    1. Power / Deep : Hard Rock power tom, large diameter kick
    2. Kik’n / Tite : Fusion/groovin style kit
    3. Metal /Open : Heavy Metal type Kit
    4. Gig Time / Stage: Gigging kit for all genre’s
    5. Pocket / Studio : Studio recording kit
    6. Trigger / Live: Acoustic kit with electronic triggered sound
    7. Mild / Jamroom : Small Kit set in medium ambient room
    8. Bright / Basement : Beginner style kit sound in concrete basement ambiance
    9. Boost / Live : Mic’d up maple kit through a PA system
    10. Cutting / Live : Deep Powerful LA style kit for live use
    11. Slammer / Ambient : All Purpose kit in an open ambient environment
    12. Alloy Stage : Roto toms, Alloy Metal fabricated drum kit - clangy metallic
    13. Meaty / Recording : Rock n Roll Recording kit - beefy sound
    14. WFL / Tunnel : vintage WFL kit set in deep/dark ambiance - great for jazz
    15. Taped up / Booth : muffled kit simulating control room playback kit sound
    16. Grungy / Dryish : Entry level type kit in a small ambiance
    17. Gated / Stage : Heavy Reverb Gated sound for stage use
    18. Hybrid / Jamroom : Electric/ Acoustic set in medium ambiance
    19. Electric / Stage : Classic Electronic drums for live use - breakdance.....
    20. Retro / Basement : A Vintage style kit set in a bright bouncy ambiance
    21. Sugar MPL / Recording : Recording Maple kit with an open feel
    22. Alter Ego / Live : Rock N roll live kit - cool snare
    23. Layin It Down / Ambient : All purpose jam kit in open ambiance
    24. Pitched / Studio : High pitched studio kit - like a Erskine kit
    25. Bottom / Ambient : deep kick drum in open ambiance
    26. Ya Mon / Jamroom : Reggae styled kit in medium ambiance
    27. Brainwash / Stage : All purpose kit for stage use - typical drum sound
    28. Believer / Basement : Unmuted open kit in big ambiance
    29. Rippn It / Live : Blast Heavy Metal type drum kit
    30. Prowler / Deep : Power toms, large drums type kit - great groover, shuffle
    31. User Kit – V Expressions designed user kit
    32. 32 thru 50 : User Kit – Roland Default Factory as supplied with TD9

    I used to love the VTour kit from the Roland module the most, but I now have a few new favorites. The Boost, the Layin It Down, and Rippn It kits are currently in my top rotation.

    It will come in two versions, one with an extra crash in the aux channel, and the other version has an added tom for the aux channel.

    Conclusion: The more I play these kits, the more I am enjoying them...VEX really impressed me here.


  • #2
    Do any of these kits use the Rosewood toms?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TKE67 View Post
      Do any of these kits use the Rosewood toms?
      Not sure. I will check later tonight....

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Colquhoun,

        nice review, looks interesting!

        Comment


        • #5
          I am assuming that this is a new pack from Vexp in addition to the HodgePodge that Alan produced recently. Release date?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TKE67 View Post
            Do any of these kits use the Rosewood toms?
            Sorry about not replying earlier...yes, there are 2 kits that use the rosewood toms...the "Trigger" kit and the "Rippin It" kit.

            Originally posted by alohadrummer View Post
            I am assuming that this is a new pack from Vexp in addition to the HodgePodge that Alan produced recently. Release date?
            In the other post, Chris at VEX hinted at Aug 1st. If not then, I would assume very soon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Release should be August 1st.

              I have assembled this pack as 4 backups - - as follows:

              1. Backup 1 = VexTLBXT - This has tom4 enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow ride implementation for those of you using CY8, PD8, CY14, or any other dual trigger pad type.

              2. Backup 2 = VexTBT3W - This has Tom 4 enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow/edge implementation for those of you using The CY12R/C or the CY15R. Remember your extra cable goes into the bow/bell input of the cym.

              3. Backup 3 = VexTLBXC - This has a Splash/China mix enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow ride implementation for those of you using CY8, PD8, CY14, or any other dual trigger pad type.

              4. Backup 4 = VexTBC3W - This has a Splash/China mix enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow/edge implementation for those of you using The CY12R/C or the CY15R. Remember your extra cable goes into the bow/bell input of the cym.

              So , using any of these backups, you will get the desired set up without too much extra work.

              You will need to always check your pad trigger settings before any load in and make a note of it, I do believe our load in will overwrite your trigger settings. We used the default Roland settings. Then once you correct it after the load in, re-save it.

              Enjoy this great new pack.

              Chris

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fiddlebak View Post
                I have assembled this pack as 4 backups - - as follows:

                1. Backup 1 = VexTLBXT - This has tom4 enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow ride implementation for those of you using CY8, PD8, CY14, or any other dual trigger pad type.

                2. Backup 2 = VexTBT3W - This has Tom 4 enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow/edge implementation for those of you using The CY12R/C or the CY15R. Remember your extra cable goes into the bow/bell input of the cym.

                3. Backup 3 = VexTLBXC - This has a Splash/China mix enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow ride implementation for those of you using CY8, PD8, CY14, or any other dual trigger pad type.

                4. Backup 4 = VexTBC3W - This has a Splash/China mix enabled on Aux as well as bell/bow/edge implementation for those of you using The CY12R/C or the CY15R. Remember your extra cable goes into the bow/bell input of the cym.

                So , using any of these backups, you will get the desired set up without too much extra work.

                You will need to always check your pad trigger settings before any load in and make a note of it, I do believe our load in will overwrite your trigger settings. We used the default Roland settings. Then once you correct it after the load in, re-save it.

                Enjoy this great new pack.

                Chris
                the metal kit etc looks interesting, but I dont get my next pay cheque until september....damn this quarterly payment schedules...*sigh*

                hopefully by that time though the vdrumlibrary will be ready as well, so i can combine my favourite kits onto one memory place...
                TD9+6v with Diamond Electronic pads, and cowbell.
                ATH-50m headphones, VEX packs
                not to mention keyboards, guitars, basses, and cats

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hello all...

                  Thanks for the great review, Colquhoun! I just purchased the new Toolbox VEX pack! I can't wait to go home, blow off all my responsibilities, and, eh-hem, my family & friends (just terble, I know), and try it out for an hour or five! hehe

                  I just have a quick question. It's kind-of unrelated to the new VEX pack. But this thread made me think of it...

                  I noticed how there are the different backups for the new VEX pack. If I'm understanding correctly, the "Aux" input on the TD-9 module can actually be used for a cymbal, rather than a 4th tom, right? (If I have the option of running a 3rd crash through the "Aux", I'll definitely order another crash. )

                  I'm currently running 2 CY-8 crashes and the CY-12 ride/crash on my TD-9. I have the 3 toms, and I'm not really interested in a 4th tom. But I am a bit of a cymbal junky. Can never have too many cymbals, right?

                  Thanks in advance for any replies / info!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LiddleBuddha View Post
                    I noticed how there are the different backups for the new VEX pack. If I'm understanding correctly, the "Aux" input on the TD-9 module can actually be used for a cymbal, rather than a 4th tom, right?
                    Yep, that's possible. You can try it yourself by pressing [SETUP], F1 (TRIG) and navigate to the AUX setting. By pressing the MIN and PLUS button you can select whatever you want, kicks, pads, cymbals, whatever. BTW: as far as I can see this goes for all triggers: you can set them to whatever you want.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by eric_B View Post
                      Yep, that's possible. You can try it yourself by pressing [SETUP], F1 (TRIG) and navigate to the AUX setting. By pressing the MIN and PLUS button you can select whatever you want, kicks, pads, cymbals, whatever. BTW: as far as I can see this goes for all triggers: you can set them to whatever you want.
                      Oh awesome! Thanks for that info eric_B!

                      I'm gonna go spend my electric bill on a new CY-8 cymbal and cymbal mount then. Oh wait! If I do that, they'd shut off my electricity! And then I won't be able to play my e-drums! Drats, foiled again! For now... hehe

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X