Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone for a new TD-x editor?

Howdy all...
    I'm currently thinking about writing a TD-x (TD-10, TDW-1, TD-6, TD-8 etc etc) editor/transfer/etc program. One of the first catches is that it's going to be written in Java, as that's what I know (just don't have the time to learn a new language at the moment). In one sense Java isn't ideal as everyone has to download a runtime environment in order to use the software, but on the plus side the thing will be cross-platform (well, relatively... Java's midi interface API is still unfinished so for the moment it will depend on whether native libraries exist for each platform -- windows for sure, mac most likely, others unlikely).

I'm planning on making this thing as commercial quality as my time will allow (unfortunately writing "real" commercial software must come first), but it'll be available free of charge.

In order to get going though, I need a few things from you guys. Firstly, I need manuals for the relevant modules in order to be able to interface to them. I already have the TD-10 and TDW-1 manuals for my module. Does anyone have a scanned copy of the others? I'd prefer the whole manual, but at least the MIDI implementation and block diagram would get me started.

Secondly, I'd really like someone to take a few closeup digital photos of the modules themselves, preferably including a few of the different types of screens displayed in the LCD panel. I'm wanting to include some funky graphics in this thing and so a few piccies would be great.

Thirdly, I need ideas for what you might want included. Not that I can guarantee you'll get it, but I can at least try. My current plan is to provide at least the current functionality of VKitTrans, but add a full editor for as many parameters as the thing will allow me to change. So, hopefully you'll be able to tweak to your hearts content and then simply upload the results to the module (I'm actually planning online and offline modes so that you don't even have to have the module connected in order to play with things).

Also planned is some form of library for anything and everything (kits, instruments, chains, settings, etc). Hopefully this will allow you to define the killer snare and drag and drop it onto any other kit of your choosing, or store different configurations of the whole module depending on different room types for gigs etc.

Depending on the different MIDI parameters for the modules, I'm also hoping to make things as cross-module as possible. This means that you should be able to save your TDW-1 kits and load as much of them as possible into a TD-6, and vice versa. Until I get some more info on the internals of the other modules though I can't guarantee that this will be possible.

I haven't really thought too much more about it than that. I'd appreciate it if you emailed any feature requests to me as well as posting here, as that'll be much easier for me to keep track of. The email address in my profile is current.

Thanks in advance for your input. Hopefully I can get this off the ground soon.

Tim.

This is great!!! I have both the TD-8 and the TD-6. I don't know if you need the entire manual but I can get the relevant sections you need. I also have a rudamentary digitai camera (Intel PC camera).
    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

The pics are probably the least of my worries at this stage, and so medium quality would be fine to give me a good idea of what things look like (you never seem to get good close up pics on any web sites!). Good quality pics would only be needed later. If anyone is going to take some pictures, I'd prefer that they were looking directly down onto the module, rather from any other angle.

clymore, those relevant sections would be more than adequate at the moment.

Thanks!

Comment

Now if I was just smart enough to know what those relevant sections were. I am just a drummer. You know, the guy that hangs out with the musicians.

I assume it would be the midi section? That is all Greek to me.

Comment

c. jude

Why are you ditching the TD-6? I just got mine a few days ago!

Comment

Originally posted by clymore:
            Now if I was just smart enough to know what those relevant sections were. I am just a drummer. You know, the guy that hangs out with the musicians.

I assume it would be the midi section? That is all Greek to me.
            Veni, vidi, vici... not wait, that's Latin.

Yeah, the most important part is the Midi Implementation section. Ultimately I think I'll need the whole manual as I'm pretty sure there's going to be all sorts of information scattered throughout that will prove useful, but don't worry about that for now.

Thanks again.

Comment

Tim,

This is great. I just spent a whole bunch of time looking for a patch editor for the TD-10 and even posted my search here. I found one for the TD-7. How ironic that it didn't exist when I had a TD-7.

Anyway, I have a very good digital camera and a TD-10 w\TDW-1 so just set me know exactly what images you need and I will send them to you.

Best regards,

Fab

Comment

I have only had my TD-6 a few days and am still learning about the editing of the unit. I downloaded the VkitTrans for the TD-8 a year ago but I think I had some problems with it. I think it was still in the development stage for the TD-8.

The TD-6 doesn't seem to be as easy to edit as the TD-8 but it is still a great sounding module. I hope to be able to edit as many parameters as possible on the PC, since it would be much easier.

I don't know if you have seen the VkitTrans program and what all it will do. I still own a TD-7 and have the TD7Edit software on my PC. One thing I really liked about the TD7Edit program was the graphic representation of the drumset on-screen that you could click with your mouse and check each drum sound as you edited them. You didn't even need to have the module connected at the time. I think all sounds had to be dumped from the TD-7 to the PC, but after that, the mouse thing worked. I hope this would not be too hard to program. Nothing fancy, just functional.

VkitTrans and TD7Edit are both worth checking out for ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fabster:
                  Tim,

This is great. I just spent a whole bunch of time looking for a patch editor for the TD-10 and even posted my search here. I found one for the TD-7. How ironic that it didn't exist when I had a TD-7.

Anyway, I have a very good digital camera and a TD-10 w\TDW-1 so just set me know exactly what images you need and I will send them to you.

Best regards,

Fab

Have you tried Sounddiver?
                  http://www.emagic.de/english/product...otools/sd.html

[This message has been edited by BINARY (edited April 22, 2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by twundke:
                    Howdy all...
                    I'm currently thinking about writing a TD-x (TD-10, TDW-1, TD-6, TD-8 etc etc) editor/transfer/etc program.
                    Hi Tim,

Hmm, I was thinking of doing something similar but I was going to do it in C/C++. Fancy a collaborative effort?

J

Comment

Hi all!
                      I'm a programmer, I know C/C++ and a bit Java.. I can help if you need someone (collaborative/open source way??)..
                      Maybe someone should setup a special forum (here or at ezboard...)to discuss more technical stuff (project architecture/coding..)..
                      And just discuss here about features/wishlist..

I don't have my td8/vcustom yet but I will order one in about 2 weeks.
                      :rolleyes:

Comment

Very cool!

Put me down as a beta tester!

$pace @ce

Comment

More info on the project...

I'm currently not considering an open source project (at least in the near future) as I really don't have time to deal with all of the extra overhead involved in a collaborative effort (especially with huge time-zone differences). Maybe down the track.

I'm planning on designing a pretty open and modular architecture for this thing, which will hopefully make it easy for people to come in later and bolt on other bits of functionality as they choose.

Having said all that though, if you're interested in helping technically, let me know as no doubt it'll be good to have people to bounce ideas off every so often. I'll also need people to test things out, especially the support for modules beside the expanded TD-10. This is obviously some way off, but if others are interested in testing things as they progress (eg. it might do nothing more than simply determine the version of the TD module) then that'd be great as it would be nice to know that the basic stuff works before the complex stuff is done.

I can't commit to any sort of timeframe either, so if you're wanting something within the next few months then I'd suggest getting SoundDiver or similar.

Thanks for the support though guys. There's nothing like a good bit of praising, high fiving and general gratitude! And remember to keep thinking of those features you'd like to see.

Tim

Comment

Excellent project idea.

I will help in anyway I can, however it sounds as if TD10 ex is already covered, and I know nothing on java!

However have just got a new super dooper digital camers, with macro facility so could do photos to order or on ad hoc basis, just let me know what you want and when.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb:
                              However have just got a new super dooper digital camera, with macro facility.
                              David
                              Off topic but I'm in the market for a decent digital. You seem happy with what you got. What model is it?

I'm looking for the 3+ mega pixel range. If anyone else is really satisfied with their camera, I'd like to know the model so I can research it. You can send comments to my e-mail. You don't have to clutter up drum threads with camera stuff if you don't want to.

thanks.........

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited April 23, 2002).]
                              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                              X