PC MIDI via USB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC MIDI via USB?

Hey all... In anticipation of receiving my very own v's I have downloaded Vkit and all the patches... My question:

I have a PC running Win98, I have a couple of USB ports that I'm not using, can anyone point me to any inexpensive MIDI hardware that works with USB?

Thanks,
    rus
    \oo/_ :mad: _\oo/

Why not just use your sound card like everyone else?

I've heard you can do cool recording stuff with USB, that was the buzz when USB starterearing it's head, but I've never seen anyone actually do it.

If you have a PC with a sound card, you should just be able to get a 12 buck adapter for the joystick port and use that for midi.

I don't know what else anyone uses that port for. I've never met anyone who actually used it for a joystick....

BINARY

Comment

Originally posted by BINARY:
      Why not just use your sound card like everyone else?

I've heard you can do cool recording stuff with USB, that was the buzz when USB starterearing it's head, but I've never seen anyone actually do itBINARY
      So there are cables that run from MIDI to game port? That sounds good... and prolly pretty cheap...

The advantage of using the USB is that I think USB would be faster (not sure of file sizes, so I don't know if that'd matter) and I also believe it'd be easier to set up through USB (because of the way Windows "sees" and recognizes USB ports)

Can anyone give me more info? My sound card is part of the motherboard, does that matter? Those of you using a game port on your sound card, what kind of up/download times do you see to and from the brain? Are the TD1 files large or small?

so many questions...
      rus

Comment

The Creative Labs sound cards (and many of the clones) used a couple of the unused pins on the 15-pin joystick connector as Midi input and output. The hardware itself is Roland MPU-401 compatible, in terms of what ports and protocols it uses at the software end to receive and transmit MIDI. Creative used to sell a cable that would allow the MIDI connections to be used simultaneously with the joystick, don't know if they still do. As for motherboard based sound cards, if there's no dedicated game port on the back of your machine you may be out of luck.

If it's there, then you'll need to use the Windows "multimedia" control panel to set the thing up so that MIDI in/out goes to the "external" port, not to the built-in wavetable synth that most recent sound subsystems include.

It's worth pointing out that USB or Gameport is going to have zero effect on the ultimate speed of any sort of transfer, because the MIDI specification is fixed at 31.25 kilobaud serial transfer. USB has ample bandwidth (12mbps shared across all connected devices) to handle MIDI data streams, but ultimately the MIDI link itself is the limiting factor.

The main value in buying a dedicated add-on MIDI interface is typically in improved buffering and timing precision, or multiple independent MIDI connections. The sound card variety tends to be perfectly fine for everyday applications, once you've got it set up.

------------------
        Andy Silverman
        Musician, Pilot, and general Gadget Freak.
        Andy Silverman
        Musician, Pilot, and general Gadget Freak.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewsi:
          The Creative Labs sound cards (and many of the clones) used a couple of the unused pins on the 15-pin joystick connector as Midi input and output. The hardware itself is Roland MPU-401 compatible, in terms of what ports and protocols it uses at the software end to receive and transmit MIDI. Creative used to sell a cable that would allow the MIDI connections to be used simultaneously with the joystick, don't know if they still do. As for motherboard based sound cards, if there's no dedicated game port on the back of your machine you may be out of luck.

If it's there, then you'll need to use the Windows "multimedia" control panel to set the thing up so that MIDI in/out goes to the "external" port, not to the built-in wavetable synth that most recent sound subsystems include.

It's worth pointing out that USB or Gameport is going to have zero effect on the ultimate speed of any sort of transfer, because the MIDI specification is fixed at 31.25 kilobaud serial transfer. USB has ample bandwidth (12mbps shared across all connected devices) to handle MIDI data streams, but ultimately the MIDI link itself is the limiting factor.

The main value in buying a dedicated add-on MIDI interface is typically in improved buffering and timing precision, or multiple independent MIDI connections. The sound card variety tends to be perfectly fine for everyday applications, once you've got it set up.

Thanks for all the information... I guess I'll adopt a "wait-and-see" attitude till I have a td-10 in hand to work with (should be this week)

rus

Comment

I use a laptop during practice and recording for sequencing that doesn't have a gameport, so this is what I use:
            http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=...z=885289889457

It works

Comment

Hey Rus - this is probably too late since you posted in October, but have you looked at the Midiman converter? THey are available in various MIDI in/out configurations and use your USB port.
              The 2x2 is around $80 and they go up from there....
              Again prob. too little too late...

**edited**
              That link above would have saved me this post. hehe...

Erik
              SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited December 27, 2000).]

Comment

Actually, Erik you aren't too late.

I've seen the kind of converter you are talking about for between $50 and$80. What I'm looking for is a simple cable and adapter... Wether it goes to gameport or USB makes no real difference to me... Thing is, I seem to have no time these days (I'm sure everyone can relate ). I just need to go out and look for it.

thanks all,
                rus

Comment

You can pay through the nose at Creative's website for $20 + S/H or check out a music store or search the web. Binary has suggested a $12 price. I haven't seen them that cheap. Maybe he can come up with a source.
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Jackpot!

thanks.
                    rus

Comment

In a recent email I recieved from Nemesys who make the software sampler "gigastudio" they advised me to stay away from USB midi ports as this adds between 5 to 10ms delay.
                      I`m not sure wether this is specific to their software or a general statement but its worth checking out if I where you.

Comment

Working...
                      X