Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VEX Mimic v109 Instruction Update (manual update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEX Mimic v109 Instruction Update (manual update)

VEX Mimic v109 Instruction Update (manual update)

We've updated Mimic QuickStart Guide & Owner Manuals with the new Mimic v109 loading instructions. You do not have to get them, but they are on the website if you want the updated version.

The only changes are the new steps for Mimic v109. If you want a copy, simply visit your expansion page(s), and download it.

Again, not necessary. Nothing has changed in our kits with this update.

Here's the main link: http://www.vexpressionsltd.com/mimic.html (QuickStart Guide on this page, Owner Manuals on subsequent pages)
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Hi Alan, my MImic came with version 1.08 and I have updated to 1.09. I have just purchased the Sureal VEX pack but just wanted to check that I don’t have to add the Reference Toms as I think I have them in the 1.08 build or do I still have to download tem?

thanks in advance.

Comment

Look in the library for the Reference toms. If you don’t see them, download and install the, per our manual. Or, you can install our expansion to see if your kits experience missing toms. If they are, then you need the Reference toms update.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

I had the Reference Toms so I’m assuming they came with the V 1.08 build. The Vex expansion is amazing for me it has taken the MImic to a whole new level and demonstrates the potential of the module.

I do have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with.

I do get the distortion effect on the low toms on a number of kits, I will try the compression fix for this but look forward to the firmware update.

The question I have is around allocation of the instruments within a kit to a different pad. I can clone one of your kits but as I have a different cymbal set up I want to move the cymbals to another pad but keep the kit settings. Is there a way to do this?

Also if I add a new instrument to a cloned vex kit do I have to update settings to match the kit settings or is that incorporated automatically?

I also use a BT-1 on Aux 5 but I split this with a Pd85 pad using the piezo/piezo split but get a lot of cross triggering (also get this on Tom 3 rim triggering the snare). I haven’t re-done the crosstalk suppression again after installing the vex expansion using the bt-1 so hopefully this solves these issues, but is there any other settings I should change here?

Sorry for all the questions just starting my MImic/vex journey that I hope will be a long one.

Comment

Here's the temporary answer to the compressor distortion that came up in v109... (pasted here for convenience)

The current slight distortion on lower toms is a temporary issue with the latest Mimic firmware. It’s being corrected in an upcoming update. You may notice on a few or handful of kits across the Mimic expansions. (on lower compressed toms)

However, there is an easy fix, and one that will likely not even be noticeable!

First, on the kits that exhibit this issue on the lower toms, simply adjust the master comp threshold from the -24-20 range up to -20-16 range as it may remedy the issue immediately. (one customer suggested this worked fine)

If you feel you need to adjust that threshold too much (over 4dB difference), you can do the same on the instruments that exhibit the issue. Again, simply lower (raise) the compressor threshold from -24-20 up to -20-16 on those subject toms. (just until the issue is gone)

Sorry for the inconvenience, but Pearl/Slate is fixing this compressor issue in the next update. Something was changed in firmware v1.0.9.2 that affected the compressor at high thresholds. Sergey verified it with me, and repaired it. I have tested the beta, and the issue is remedied. I cannot speak of an ETA of the next release, but my suggested adjustments above will remedy the issue for now.

Hope that helps!
            To move cymbals around, you need to save them to the library. Then, you can load them in additional kits. Keep the panning in mind.

The copied instruments will retain the instrument mixing. This will load into the kit you're moving to, but continue to use the effects and master mixing of the destination kit. You may find a need to adjust effect levels. (unlikely)

Loading our kits does not affect your pad settings. You'll need to take up the pad-splitting cross-talk with Sergey. That's not really something I think I can answer.
            Alan

Comment

Working...
            X