Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V Expressions Ltd | TD-50... by popular demand....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TD-50 & Infinity owners only please...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm doing some EQ tweaking on this next pack. Basically, I'm tightening up the low end a bit, and I'm going to seek feedback along the way.

What should be known: While I'm trying to appease the major request for a Top 50/Giggin type expansion, I am also trying to keep with the realistic "live" result. (actually, a mix between the two) You should also know these kits are NOT perfected or finished. They are only "close".

What I already know about these samples: I am aware there are mix issues where levels are concerned. I'm not looking for feedback in that area. They have NOT been "evened out" yet. I'm concentrating on EQ at the moment.

What I'm looking for: Feedback on the new "tightness" in the low end, and any other EQ "dislikes" I should consider improving. Therefore, there will be thin, thick, and in-between in these samples. Comment on everything you wish.

What you need to know: I was not trying to play correctly. I eff up a LOT. So, I don't need feedback on that. As a matter of fact, I'll charge you more if you mention it.

Please use trusted reference monitoring. If you use headphones, use the ones that you use at the kit.

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I especially like Police. Sounds like his kit including Roxanne & Message in a Bottle signature Toms, crisp HH and ride bell sound. Great job nailing Stewart snare. Low end sounds tight overall on the kits. Sorry I can't add any criticism at this point I'm an Infinity fan kits are sounding as I'd hoped.
      Last edited by Howstamychi; 04-21-19, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
        I especially like Police. Sounds like his kit including Roxanne & Message in a Bottle signature Toms, crisp HH and ride bell sound. Great job nailing Stewart snare. Low end sounds tight overall on the kits. Sorry I can't add any criticism at this point I'm an Infinity fan kits are sounding as I'd hoped.
        Did you catch the kit with the HH & SN delay? I did one for "every little thing.. magic". I may add a third for "walking on the moon". (different tempo) I also did a warm kit for "every step you take" Not sure if I'll keep them all or not. I don't like "doubling up"... much less "quadrupling".
        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

Did you catch the kit with the HH & SN delay? I did one for "every little thing.. magic". I may add a third for "walking on the moon". (different tempo) I also did a warm kit for "every step you take" Not sure if I'll keep them all or not. I don't like "doubling up"... much less "quadrupling".
          Absolutely heard the HH and SN delay on "...magic" it's very cool. Walking on the Moon would be great to have because the delay is in 3 or triplet form and the song is in 4 so you get that crazy rhythmic dance on the the side stick and HH fills in the breakdown. Would love a setting with your sounds and that delay setting. Haven't puzzled the delay out and although there is a preset in the 50 (long deleted) that had Moon in the title it didn't quite cut it for me. I'm all for multiple versions of the Police but if I had to choose one or two I prefer the similar drum sound from Outlandos d'Amour through Ghost in the Machine which you've nailed along with the warm kit. But I say quadruple the hell out of Copeland and Peart
          Last edited by Howstamychi; 04-21-19, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Just listened to the separate kits. I'm really digging the Pearl Jam and Primus kits.

BTW I use both ATHM-50X and Shure SE425 earphones. I also have a PA that I use locally (in my room/studio) that consists of Behringer B212D tops and B1800XPro subs. I really am unsure how I feel about the different Police kits. The most common heard kit, to me, is the one from Message in a Bottle so forgive me for not being able to give much there.
            Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

There's one after thought though, when it comes to mixing and how the kits are laid out. THe cymbals, kick and snare are panned nicely, but it feels like the toms are too uneven... Seems like Tom 1 is panned to the left, and all other toms are panned to the right. It, for some reason, makes me feel like the kit is uneven. I'm a fan of the whole 65/35/35/65 configuration of sorts. Maybe it's because of me being visually impaired, but when I hear this in my head, it makes me think the rack toms are 2 feet apart and the roms on the right are all in the same location almost. I don't quite understand what this was intending to imply, but it just feels like the toms are not properly panned. I still have yet to figure out how to adjust them in the module, myself.
              Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

Comment

Panning is something the user must customize for their own setup. We set to default 2 up 2 down Roland panning. Itís set for sitting behind a classic single bass 5 pc with an extra floor tom. Thus, you explained the panning perfectly.
                Alan

Comment

yeah, that's how my setup is, but maybe I'm thinking the toms feel like they are further apart than what I play, but that could just be me. I need to figure out how to pan them. Wish there was a universal panning option.

Comment

Man am I looking forward to this pack. Had to say it.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post
                      Man am I looking forward to this pack. Had to say it.
                      Have patience. This one's going to take time... a lot of it.
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by G-Rad View Post
                        ... Wish there was a universal panning option.
                        Agreed.
                        Alan

Comment

It's definitely going to be worth it when it's done though. I'm sooo excited about this pack. This will definitely be a wonderful addition to the TD-50 VEX family and will make that module sing! You guys have done some amazing work and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for V Expressions.

Comment

I've been trying to open Alan's mp3's on my MacBook but they keep downloading as html files. No music, just a page of coding

Comment

Originally posted by Bahstan View Post
                              I've been trying to open Alan's mp3's on my MacBook but they keep downloading as html files. No music, just a page of coding
                              Usually, if you change the extension to mp3, it'll play.
                              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Bahstan View Post
                                Right click & choose save as. After the download play it with the program of your choice. (Just tested on my Mac Book)
                                Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / SPD-SX / Superior Drummer 3

Comment

Working...
                                X