Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V Expressions Ltd | TD-50... by popular demand....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Expressions Ltd | TD-50... by popular demand....

...or should I say by two years of massive requests... I will be attempting a pseudo Giggin' Kits -slash- Top 50 type of pack. However, it will be targeted more at well-covered covers in professional giggin... not so much "top 50 drummers".

Wait! Hold your horses! Don't get excited! This will take months! Go buy Infinity first!

So, why the thread? Well, first... I'm already hard at work...

something.png

I'm not explaining the method to my madness... so don't ask. Just trust it. Gooooosfrabaaaaa

So, I need TD-50 owners' input. This pack will be targeted at those of you who've been buggin' the living $#!+ out of me for two years now.

Important things to note...

Based on the MASSIVE success of Infinity, I am going to build on a similar platform. The kits will be very "lively", to give the feel of actually playing live. So, this will be IDEAL for gigging pros... not to mention everyone who simply wants to feel power playing with drumless covers.

Sceptical? Take a listen to the first family of four... (one style of kit/music in four variations... don't get too excited)

new_work.mp3 (pardon warbly youtube drumless')

The four kits heard above have minor changes in snare, cyms, ambiance, mix, etc. They are NOT finished... or even close, for that matter. Much more will be changing in them. (to diversify them more)

There will be many styles as well... not just this type of stuff. This is just where I started with production.

The pack will likely be called "Stage X... name is changing", in case that helps give you a feel for what to expect.

Absolutely no ETA. Don't ask. LOL

So, place your orders, fellers... What do you want or need in the arsenal?
    Attached Files
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
    So, place your orders, fellers... What do you want or need in the arsenal?
    All 4 demos sound fantastic, Ride in "Wayward Son" nailed. Psyched for this release! Anything by Rush or The Police would be my toss in the arsenal

Comment

Stage X sounds like exactly what we have been waiting for Alan! Infinity is awesome, so really looking forward to this. In terms of what is needed in the arsenal, given the variation in venues most of us play live in, my preference would be to have some nice lively sounding kits but as "dry" as possible (min/no compression, min/no reverb etc etc). Really looking forward to hearing what you come up with .
      :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by gjmunro View Post
        ...In terms of what is needed in the arsenal, given the variation in venues most of us play live in, my preference would be to have some nice lively sounding kits but as "dry" as possible (min/no compression, min/no reverb etc etc). Really looking forward to hearing what you come up with .
        That's what Infinity is for. Don't expect "bone-dry" kits on Stage X. (name is changing) This is what your direct-outs are for.
        Alan

Comment

I was gonna ask for the Foo Fighters and the first one in the mp3 is ..... indeed, Foo Fighters. Man that sounds great!

I'm thinking Muse & Green Day.
          Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / SPD-SX / Superior Drummer 3

Comment

Had another listen to this great sounding demo. If I could get specific I'll throw an "Every Breath You Take" by The Police kit in the arsenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Howstamychi View Post

All 4 demos sound fantastic, Ride in "Wayward Son" nailed. Psyched for this release! Anything by Rush or The Police would be my toss in the arsenal
              Peart is a given... as a matter of fact... this is the first of two. This one's titled "ReMastered", and the other will be a modern live version that's thicker and deeper in the snare.

new_pert.mp3 (pardon the f'ups lol)

Had another listen to this great sounding demo. If I could get specific I'll throw an "Every Breath You Take" by The Police kit in the arsenal.
              Copeland is a given.

In other news, I had about 5 more demos of other things I recorded today, but my screensaver kicked in, I didn't check things out, and two hours later found those recordings were screwed.
              Attached Files
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                Peart is a given... as a matter of fact... this is the first of two. This one's titled "ReMastered", and the other will be a modern live version that's thicker and deeper in the snare.
                new_pert.mp3 (pardon the f'ups lol)
                Copeland is a given.
                "YYZ" are you friggin kidding me? Sold already. Sounds awesome. Psyched for this!
                Last edited by Howstamychi; 03-23-19, 08:57 PM. Reason: wrong song, it's YYZ!

Comment

"YYZ" are you friggin kidding me? Sold already. Sounds awesome. Psyched for this!
                  LOL I still want to attempt the crotale.
                  Alan

Comment

Hi Alan,

Metalica

Motley Crue

Van Halen

Journey

Triumph

Boston

Foreigner
                    Roland TD-50DP on Roland TD-30KV Set with an extra PD-108 as another rack tom and a KDA-22P Bass Drum., Also working with Superior Drummer 3. DW Machine Chain Drive Double Bass Pedals & Machine Direct Drive HH Stand, DW 9000 Airlift Throne.

Comment

Hey bro. ood work so far. That Rush kit setup sounds beautiful and is going to make me wait to do my YYZ drum cover until that pick is ready, hehe.

One thing I noticed when listening to the first MP3 is that t sounds, to me, like the snare on the Alive and Man in the Box songs was tuned low. I loved the way that kit sounded on PJ's Ten album. IT could be because you are trying to make it more universal, but it still sounds amazing. It's just, for me, when I hear that song, I immediately think of his snare drum lol.

I"ve listened to that Rush sampler at least 4 times now. Great stuff!

If I may make some suggestions, I"d like to mention some sounds that I thought would be great. I'm relating the album 'cause that'd be the album I best think of their kit sounds even for live.

Pantera: Great Southern Trendkill
                      Metallica: Black Album
                      Van Hhlen 1984
                      Green Day: Dookie
                      Godsmack: Awake
                      Mudvayne: Lost & Found
                      ​​​​​​​Tool: Lateralus
                      Spin Doctors: Pocket Full of Kryptonite
                      Jason Aldean: Night Train
                      Luke Bryan: Tailgates & Tanlines
                      Demon Hunter: Outlive
                      Red: Until We Have Faces

These are just some that come to mind. the drum kits in these are very versitle and cover a wide range. Sorry for being a pest
                      Roland TD-50, DW Collector's A2E kit, PD-140DS, CY-18DR, 2xCY-14C, 2x CY-8, 2x CY-5, VH-10, Modified MDS-12v

TD-3 > TD-10E > TD-20 > TD/W-20 > TD-15 > TD-50

Comment

The Pearl Jam recording was with a different kit. It wasnít a Pearl Jam Kit. Likewise for the Alice song. Those were just initial tests. The PJ snare and kit is done. Van Halen is already done. Hard to get that snare, but itís reeeeally close. Had to really deep dive into H&R editing to do it.

I spent this last week refining the kits Iíve already started. The only questionable feedback I ever get is ďthereís too much low endĒ or ďthereís too much high endĒ. So, I picked up some different headphones for additional reference. I found that many people with those low/high feelings were using M50Xs. So, Iím making the kits a little tighter on the extremes, with a touch of added body in the mids for extra realism.

I want to stress once again that these kits will NOT be designed to sound like recordings. (like Top 50 was) This route makes them sound thinner when played with real musicians and live music. So, I am blending the realism of Infinity with these kits for more power and punch to grasp a more realistic feeling of being behind the artistís kit in a live session.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will take them under consideration.
                        Alan

Comment

Infinity feedback request for future expansion(s)...

I'm doing some testing with various alternative monitoring in an effort to improve mixes across more options of monitoring, and I need some feedback from (specifically) Infinity owners.

When you first loaded Infinity, did you feel there was too much low or high end? If so, which. If not, please let me know this as well.

Please let me know what you use to monitor, and any typical first widely used adjustment right out of the box for Infinity kits. (ie: decrease low end EQ in BD or Master EQ, decrease high end EQ on cymbals or Master EQ, etc.)

If you use headphones, please let me know what model you use. Let me know if it is module-direct monitoring, or if additional gear is used.

If you send to PA, please let me how your personal monitoring (directly from the module) matches up to any FOH system you may use gigging.

Thanks!
                          Alan

Comment

I use a PM30 and had to reduce the low end on tom four.

Comment

I did not notice any extra high or low across the board. It sounded incredibly well mixed on loading and after continuous playing. I only noticed some extra low end on Tom 4 in some of the Infinity kits in comparison to the other VEX kits I use and Roland artist kits (which I am only using for the electronica elements). Sometimes I rolled a bit of low end off Tom 4 on a kit, most often not as it felt and sounded great and just crushed it if you ripped down the Toms and landed on Tom 4. It is by far my favorite bank of kits. I use Yamaha HPH-MT8 headphones almost exclusively with the TD-50. Infinity also sounded great through my Adam A3X monitors. I have run Infinity through the default setting on the real time UA Pultec-Pro Legacy Plug-In but only because I can, not for want of any extra EQ. It sounded excellent but I prefer Infinity on Unity Gain including Ambience on the TD-50 external faders with nothing added.

Comment

Working...
                              X