VEX Infinity: First take...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VEX Infinity: First take...

So, as most of you know, I've been working for a few months on the next installment for the 50. During this time, we've had two holidays (about a week off each), I've built two computers (a few days each to order, plan, and build), I've been sick for about two weeks, and I've had other doctor's appointments that added up to about another week or so worth of days. Needless to say, all that has socked a lot of time and life out of me. Meh, it's the price to pay for a transplant and staying a live. So be it...

Today, I hooked up the studio to the new computer for the first time, and began installing software & routing. During all this, I decided to test some mics and run a TD-50 master out test for my upcoming videos and expansion samples. Well, here's the first test result of this afternoon's test recording session.

Notables...

1. This is only 1 unique kit on the expansion. This DOES NOT represent the expansion! It's just one kit that was actually an accident.
    2. I am still sick, with a migraine, and you better not judge my playing.
    3. This is just a master L/R out of the 50 into my Roland Studio Capture, with my iPad Aux'd in at the module, recorded in SO4 in stereo, and normalized to -1. No processing has been done.
    4. The kit may get a little tweaking based on this test recording.
    5. I was going for a more "in-your-face-live" result in this kit... a la "Mimic Professional". Thus, it's not supposed to sound like the original recording at all. (which, I think this drumless is from a remaster... it's their lower live tuning)

As I mentioned, this kit was an accident, but I think it's the most fun kit for the 50 I've ever created. (thus, the choice for the test) It started out as a Def Leppard kit, and evolved into an all-in-one platinum-era rock kit. What do I mean by that? Well, I've literally played this with something like 50-100 songs on YouTube, and it fits like a glove with every one of them. It's just a freakin' blast to play. I've played it with everything from early 80's to late 90's... even dried up for Bruno Mars treasure (lol), and all kinds of styles in between. You might think that doesn't sound right, but when the expansion details come out, you'll see what this pack's real design is, and why I say that. Bottom line? This is probably the best thing I've done on the 50, and I look forward to you all hearing the entire pack. There's something for everyone, and every possible genre and style... seriously... seriously-seriously.

Again, this DOES NOT represent the pack as a whole. The pack as a whole if YUGELY diverse.

For now, take a listen to this little fun recording I had today! Let me know what you think!

first_50_test.mp3
    Attached Files
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
    So, as most of you know, I've been working for a few months on the next installment for the 50. During this time, we've had two holidays (about a week off each), I've built two computers (a few days each to order, plan, and build), I've been sick for about two weeks, and I've had other doctor's appointments that added up to about another week or so worth of days. Needless to say, all that has socked a lot of time and life out of me. Meh, it's the price to pay for a transplant and staying a live. So be it...

Today, I hooked up the studio to the new computer for the first time, and began installing software & routing. During all this, I decided to test some mics and run a TD-50 master out test for my upcoming videos and expansion samples. Well, here's the first test result of this afternoon's test recording session.

Notables...

1. This is only 1 unique kit on the expansion. This DOES NOT represent the expansion! It's just one kit that was actually an accident.
    2. I am still sick, with a migraine, and you better not judge my playing.
    3. This is just a master L/R out of the 50 into my Roland Studio Capture, with my iPad Aux'd in at the module, recorded in SO4 in stereo, and normalized to -1. No processing has been done.
    4. The kit may get a little tweaking based on this test recording.
    5. I was going for a more "in-your-face-live" result in this kit... a la "Mimic Professional". Thus, it's not supposed to sound like the original recording at all. (which, I think this drumless is from a remaster... it's their lower live tuning)

As I mentioned, this kit was an accident, but I think it's the most fun kit for the 50 I've ever created. (thus, the choice for the test) It started out as a Def Leppard kit, and evolved into an all-in-one platinum-era rock kit. What do I mean by that? Well, I've literally played this with something like 50-100 songs on YouTube, and it fits like a glove with every one of them. It's just a freakin' blast to play. I've played it with everything from early 80's to late 90's... even dried up for Bruno Mars treasure (lol), and all kinds of styles in between. You might think that doesn't sound right, but when the expansion details come out, you'll see what this pack's real design is, and why I say that. Bottom line? This is probably the best thing I've done on the 50, and I look forward to you all hearing the entire pack. There's something for everyone, and every possible genre and style... seriously... seriously-seriously.

Again, this DOES NOT represent the pack as a whole. The pack as a whole if YUGELY diverse.

For now, take a listen to this little fun recording I had today! Let me know what you think!

first_50_test.mp3
    Yesssss! Alan this the best I've heard the TD-50 sound. I've been anticipating this pack since there was first mention of it. I already own Foundations and Studio X for the TD- 50 and they have upgraded it to a top their module instead of an "almost there" frustrating disappointment. I would have sold it if I was stuck with the original Roland presets. Now I love it for the truly expressive V-Drum kit it was meant to be. A suitable upgrade from the 30. If it was vexed at factory all we would have heard was accolades on it's release instead of dumbfounded exclamations of "This is it?! It plays great, electro kits good, and there are all these options but the acoustic sounds..."

The Tom and Cymbal sets in Studio X sound beautiful and show off what V-drums are capable of. So easy to copy a single instrument or instrument set to another kit this way. I am using your High Hats on 95% of my kits and often swapping out entire Tom and Cymbal sets to "resurrect" kits with good Snare and Kick. Your snare sounds are excellent and articulate as you don't mix in one shot samples but blend the internal sounds, or often just manipulate one instrument layer to pop and crunch and play great from edge to center with a nice rimshot. Both packs are all over my preset list so it stands to reason I am psyched to get my paws on Infinity.

So on to the first look at VEX Infinity demo track. Sounds like the record. That's my highest praise and I only got it once or twice after 15 years of writing 1,000's of Cable and Network Television cues. My first professional gigs were creating sample drum loop CD's for Big Fish Audio and I was using ASR 10 samplers btw. I can hear the kit through the mix and know what I'd be getting in terms of a fat, expressive rock kit and yet it sits perfectly in the mix at the same time. I was always told the best mixes are one's you can see through, as each element has a little bubble of goodness around it and the mix remains cohesive and identifiable. Kind of like a particularly cool and unique star constellation. This is far beyond my ability as a sort of "all around" producer for tracks that have to be made quickly and attention to detail catered more towards mechanics than artistry. You achieve both here. Anticipating getting my claws on this whole pack is going to make my weekend bright, thank you.

By the way when I downloaded the mp3 it still had .html after the .mp3 on it. It did not download for me as a regular ready to go MP3. However, I deleted the characters .html so the file simply read first_50_test.mp3 and it cranked out of iTunes without a hitch.

Excellent playing here, your migraine which I hope is long gone clearly did not affect your ability to play. As a side note you are one of the few drummers who nails playing right in the pocket without that sense that the e drum is a little behind or ahead of the beat, which in my book means you simply keep time like a Mick Fleetwood cat. And I say to myself ok, the eagle has landed, e drums are finally in the world. Can't wait to purchase and load it up. As a new owner of a Mimic I'm especially excited to try VEX on that module as well. Since I'm using both kits in tandem through an analogue mixer, the playing experience and combination of both tones from the TD-50 and multisample acoustic sounds from the Mimic will be joyful to play and hear.
    Last edited by Howstamychi; 02-22-19, 03:04 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Nice full sound, certainly peaked my interest. I'm a VEX user and fan and no pressure, but wondering if there's a tentative release date?
      E-kit: TD50KV with KD A22, SPD-SX, BT-1, Acoustic: DW Custom, Maple Mahogany, Zildjian K Customs, Sweet and Darks, Pork Pie Thrones, Tama Speed Cobras and DW HW, Zildjian sticks. Midas 32C, MD421, EV ND46, ND96, SM57, SM81. Past kits include Roland TD9 Mesh and TD30K.

Comment

Iíve been hacking up a lung for two weeks now. Thatís what has paused me from doing the video, and video is needed for this release. This pack is about its features, and I need to show them this time. (these new features are what make it the best thing weíve done so far) So, I donít think people want to hear me coughing and hackiní during the video. lol Iím still shooting for early March. Hope to finish this all up next week. Everything but the webpage, video, and samples is done.
        Alan
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          Iíve been hacking up a lung for two weeks now. Thatís what has paused me from doing the video, and video is needed for this release. This pack is about its features, and I need to show them this time. (these new features are what make it the best thing weíve done so far) So, I donít think people want to hear me coughing and hackiní during the video. lol Iím still shooting for early March. Hope to finish this all up next week. Everything but the webpage, video, and samples is done.
          Get well soon!
          Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

As always - your health is the most important thing and thanks for all the great work.

Comment

Awesome - as usual - Alan! Get well soon. This sounds MIGHTY ! Canít wait to download the full pack.
              :confused:

Comment

Alan, this sounds awesome. The cymbals sound really nice in the mix. It took me about 3 weeks to get rid of the gunk. Get well soon!
                ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Thanks for updating us on a future expansion of the TD50. But first take care of health man, much more important!

The sound on the demo was just awesome! Looking forward to the release, whenever it's ready.
                  Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / SPD-SX / Superior Drummer 3

Comment

Working...
                  X