• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
    but I know for a fact Roland never planned to expand the 50

I seem to remember them suggesting there would be updates. But we're not talking a major thing if it's just improved snare sounds. It would be a similar thing to the modified download they released where their guys edited the on board sounds. Unless it's like you said, they can't use traditional samples with the capabilities of the digital snare.

Leave a comment:

• Chance27
    replied
    From watching their video, Drum-Tec did a good job with the Vintage Sound Edition. There are some good vintage tom and snare sounds in the pack.

Last edited by Chance27; 02-05-19, 04:24 PM. Reason: Added video.

Leave a comment:

• Chris K
    replied
    It's different concept, Roland release product without update and locked structure, you need to wait 5\6 etc. years later to get new sound and minor feature added. Modern module use update\ add new feature on firmware and new sound. The beauty of this, any comment dated today could be filled later with update.
    Last edited by Chris K; 02-05-19, 01:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    Originally posted by BWaj View Post

I think there are two types of players in general. Roland appeals more to the serious gigging musician playing multiple styles. The reason is comes loaded with tons of sound options including percussion and you can change patches while playing without drop out. Also the feel and playability of the digital snare.

Then there are the purists who care more about the sound than almost anything. Those prefer the mimic and can function without the need to switch sounds on the fly. Be they studio guys, only use one kit live or are just bedroom players where it's a non issue.
    Exactly. I've said all along there is a module for every person's needs. Roland is THE brand for those needing extensive modeling to cover a wide gamut of anything from 50's to today, but with that extra need of effect and electro sounds. The quote you mentioned was not a dig at Roland. It was simply a statement showcasing the market has changed... from both the consumer's and vendor's side(s). Roland will never be out of the game. They just need to decide if they want to keep those that desire more realistic sounds for higher-quality recording needs, etc. That's all.

Originally posted by BWaj View Post

I really find it hard to believe Roland won't offer a snare upgrade pack sooner than later. It's by far the biggest and most valid complaint on the TD50 and Roland in general. If they combined a great snare sound with the digital snare, it would easily be the top module again, imo. Seems like a very easy fix to me as the most popular snare sounds come from a similar starting point. One prog rock, one loose jazz, one metal, one piccolo and maybe a few other options. Effects would allow us to customize to taste. The issue is a bad starting point makes it impossible to get a great finished product.
    Another short fall I've mentioned all along. I'm not sure if it was officially stated, but I know for a fact Roland never planned to expand the 50. Hell, I think we all knew as soon as we read the manual and saw no expansion slot. That was a saddening moment; and as you said, one of the biggest complaints. My biggest complaint (which actually aligns with yours) is that they continue to use the same old tired bad classic sources for sound. Roland has to up their recording quality and sound source. Of course, with much of this done via DSP in-module, I think there is a ceiling here for them. So, my original quote was alluding to their need for the next gen engine design. IMHO, it's time for them to move to the platform likes of Mimic/ATV/Strike/2Box/etc. There's got to be a way they can keep some COSM type of control, but that's what I think is holding them back. They view it as far too much invested to turn the corner. Again, just IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    Originally posted by unstepe View Post
    Do you already know in which week the new edition will be released?
    Soon. It's not a metal "pack". It just has some "metal" kits in it.

Leave a comment:

• BWaj
    replied
    Personally, I think the 50 disappointed a lot of the long-time flagship guys, as many seemed to move to Mimic, from what I can tell. Also seemed like many higher mid-range people moved to ATV, Alesis, and 2Box. Roland might need to spend some thought on their next flagship offering. Roland is probably still king, but I get the feeling they are quickly getting squeezed these days.
    I think there are two types of players in general. Roland appeals more to the serious gigging musician playing multiple styles. The reason is comes loaded with tons of sound options including percussion and you can change patches while playing without drop out. Also the feel and playability of the digital snare.

Then there are the purists who care more about the sound than almost anything. Those prefer the mimic and can function without the need to switch sounds on the fly. Be they studio guys, only use one kit live or are just bedroom players where it's a non issue.

I really find it hard to believe Roland won't offer a snare upgrade pack sooner than later. It's by far the biggest and most valid complaint on the TD50 and Roland in general. If they combined a great snare sound with the digital snare, it would easily be the top module again, imo. Seems like a very easy fix to me as the most popular snare sounds come from a similar starting point. One prog rock, one loose jazz, one metal, one piccolo and maybe a few other options. Effects would allow us to customize to taste. The issue is a bad starting point makes it impossible to get a great finished product.

Sample Mike Portnoy's snare and call it a day, imo. So long as it's not a single shot and allows the digital snare full functionality.

Leave a comment:

• unstepe
    replied
    Do you already know in which week the new edition will be released?

Leave a comment:

• Howstamychi
    replied
    If you LIKE that, youíre going to LOVE the next VEX release. However, the new VEX will have a LOT more to offer.
    I am really looking forward to this! Great news.

Leave a comment:

• molson
    replied
    Originally posted by unstepe View Post
    Is there a way to use the digital Roland Snare and Ride with the Mimic?
    Sadly, no.

Leave a comment:

• unstepe
    replied
    Is there a way to use the digital Roland Snare and Ride with the Mimic?

Leave a comment:

• unstepe
    replied
    OK. I also speculate to switch to the Mimic and to use Roland hardware.
    And all best lossless.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    Iím really not sure how many will be interested in another Roland flagship, if they stick to their current technology. Most people looking at Roland right now seem to be looking at other modules like the 17. Seems to me the market for them has changed, and they have become more of the entry & mid-range king in the past year. Their marketing has been focused here as well. Thereís likely a reason they changed directions.

Regardless, I wouldnít expect another flagship for at least two more years... at least... probably closer to four. There are still mid-level modules yet to be updated. However, Iíve expected pseudo-reboots of the 50 with updated/alternate pad choices at some point. They usually do that to boost sales. Just basing that part on their recent history. I expected a latter release with 2up/2down, but that hasnít happened.

Personally, I think the 50 disappointed a lot of the long-time flagship guys, as many seemed to move to Mimic, from what I can tell. Also seemed like many higher mid-range people moved to ATV, Alesis, and 2Box. Roland might need to spend some thought on their next flagship offering. Roland is probably still king, but I get the feeling they are quickly getting squeezed these days.

Leave a comment:

• unstepe
    replied
    Then I'm curious when Roland presents a new flagship.
    Since actually the current flagship is already outdated after 2 years.
    -> No possibility to fire samples
    -> What I also lack is the ability to remotely control the settings of the TD50 via an ipad ...
    And somehow I can not get over Midi. And the help of Roland is not really the best either.

Leave a comment:

• Alan VEX
    replied
    I donít think the 50 will see any additional updates or changes. Pretty sure about this.

Leave a comment:

• unstepe
    replied
    Is Roland planning an update?
    In my opinion, 2 things would be important for the update:
    - internal snare sounds
    - Algorithm for dynamic sample

Or do we have to wait for the next flagship in 10 years?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X