No announcement yet.

Metal Sound Edition Roland TD-50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. I also speculate to switch to the Mimic and to use Roland hardware.
    And all best lossless.

Comment

Is there a way to use the digital Roland Snare and Ride with the Mimic?

Comment

Originally posted by unstepe View Post
        Is there a way to use the digital Roland Snare and Ride with the Mimic?
        Sadly, no.
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
          If you LIKE that, you’re going to LOVE the next VEX release. However, the new VEX will have a LOT more to offer.
          I am really looking forward to this! Great news.

Comment

Do you already know in which week the new edition will be released?

Comment

Personally, I think the 50 disappointed a lot of the long-time flagship guys, as many seemed to move to Mimic, from what I can tell. Also seemed like many higher mid-range people moved to ATV, Alesis, and 2Box. Roland might need to spend some thought on their next flagship offering. Roland is probably still king, but I get the feeling they are quickly getting squeezed these days.
              I think there are two types of players in general. Roland appeals more to the serious gigging musician playing multiple styles. The reason is comes loaded with tons of sound options including percussion and you can change patches while playing without drop out. Also the feel and playability of the digital snare.

Then there are the purists who care more about the sound than almost anything. Those prefer the mimic and can function without the need to switch sounds on the fly. Be they studio guys, only use one kit live or are just bedroom players where it's a non issue.

I really find it hard to believe Roland won't offer a snare upgrade pack sooner than later. It's by far the biggest and most valid complaint on the TD50 and Roland in general. If they combined a great snare sound with the digital snare, it would easily be the top module again, imo. Seems like a very easy fix to me as the most popular snare sounds come from a similar starting point. One prog rock, one loose jazz, one metal, one piccolo and maybe a few other options. Effects would allow us to customize to taste. The issue is a bad starting point makes it impossible to get a great finished product.

Sample Mike Portnoy's snare and call it a day, imo. So long as it's not a single shot and allows the digital snare full functionality.

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada [URL]http://www.musicaespada.com/[/URL] and JamCo [URL]https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment[/URL], [url]https://www.jamcoband.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by unstepe View Post
                Do you already know in which week the new edition will be released?
                Soon. It's not a metal "pack". It just has some "metal" kits in it.
                Alan
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by BWaj View Post

I think there are two types of players in general. Roland appeals more to the serious gigging musician playing multiple styles. The reason is comes loaded with tons of sound options including percussion and you can change patches while playing without drop out. Also the feel and playability of the digital snare.

Then there are the purists who care more about the sound than almost anything. Those prefer the mimic and can function without the need to switch sounds on the fly. Be they studio guys, only use one kit live or are just bedroom players where it's a non issue.
                  Exactly. I've said all along there is a module for every person's needs. Roland is THE brand for those needing extensive modeling to cover a wide gamut of anything from 50's to today, but with that extra need of effect and electro sounds. The quote you mentioned was not a dig at Roland. It was simply a statement showcasing the market has changed... from both the consumer's and vendor's side(s). Roland will never be out of the game. They just need to decide if they want to keep those that desire more realistic sounds for higher-quality recording needs, etc. That's all.

I really find it hard to believe Roland won't offer a snare upgrade pack sooner than later. It's by far the biggest and most valid complaint on the TD50 and Roland in general. If they combined a great snare sound with the digital snare, it would easily be the top module again, imo. Seems like a very easy fix to me as the most popular snare sounds come from a similar starting point. One prog rock, one loose jazz, one metal, one piccolo and maybe a few other options. Effects would allow us to customize to taste. The issue is a bad starting point makes it impossible to get a great finished product.
                  Another short fall I've mentioned all along. I'm not sure if it was officially stated, but I know for a fact Roland never planned to expand the 50. Hell, I think we all knew as soon as we read the manual and saw no expansion slot. That was a saddening moment; and as you said, one of the biggest complaints. My biggest complaint (which actually aligns with yours) is that they continue to use the same old tired bad classic sources for sound. Roland has to up their recording quality and sound source. Of course, with much of this done via DSP in-module, I think there is a ceiling here for them. So, my original quote was alluding to their need for the next gen engine design. IMHO, it's time for them to move to the platform likes of Mimic/ATV/Strike/2Box/etc. There's got to be a way they can keep some COSM type of control, but that's what I think is holding them back. They view it as far too much invested to turn the corner. Again, just IMHO.
                  Alan

Comment

It's different concept, Roland release product without update and locked structure, you need to wait 5\6 etc. years later to get new sound and minor feature added. Modern module use update\ add new feature on firmware and new sound. The beauty of this, any comment dated today could be filled later with update.
                    Last edited by Chris K; 02-05-19, 01:35 PM.

Comment

From watching their video, Drum-Tec did a good job with the Vintage Sound Edition. There are some good vintage tom and snare sounds in the pack.

Last edited by Chance27; 02-05-19, 04:24 PM. Reason: Added video.
                      ATV aDrums, TD-50, aD5, Superior Drummer 3.0, Roland SPD-SX, Tama & DW Hardware.

Comment

but I know for a fact Roland never planned to expand the 50

I seem to remember them suggesting there would be updates. But we're not talking a major thing if it's just improved snare sounds. It would be a similar thing to the modified download they released where their guys edited the on board sounds. Unless it's like you said, they can't use traditional samples with the capabilities of the digital snare.

TD50 Digital Pack, TD30 and TD9 Modules, custom made pads, Gen16 crashes, and hats plus a few other things that I'm not sure what to do with or why they're still in my kit. Bands: Espada [URL]http://www.musicaespada.com/[/URL] and JamCo [URL]https://www.facebook.com/JamcoEntertainment[/URL], [url]https://www.jamcoband.com/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post
                          From watching their video, Drum-Tec did a good job with the Vintage Sound Edition. There are some good vintage tom and snare sounds in the pack.
                          I must have missed that one, but you're right - best I've heard the TD50 sound.
                          Pearl MIMIC Pro, TD50DP, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums Expanded, SD3, Presonus Quantum 2

Comment

I seem to remember them suggesting there would be updates. But we're not talking a major thing if it's just improved snare sounds. It would be a similar thing to the modified download they released where their guys edited the on board sounds. Unless it's like you said, they can't use traditional samples with the capabilities of the digital snare.
                            I seem to remember one of the artists saying something about an update too during the release, but it was never mentioned again. I think that was either interpreted wrong, or conveyed in the wrong manner. Pretty sure they meant firmware updates as needed. I was told there is no possibility of adding additional internal sounds due to internal memory limitations. Do I hope I’m wrong, or was told wrong? Absolutely!

If we use historical timing, the 30, and the fact the 50 has no expansion slot either as a guideline, that would dictate we should see some “update” materialize within the next year or so. Personally, I’m not holding my breath; but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a new flagship instead... in those 2-3 years.

I know there’s always a “hidden” possibility of an SD/USB driven update, but I have my doubts there as well... simply because of the mentioned mem limit. Also, the whole USB update seemed to cause major headaches for the TD-9. I get the feeling they may not want to go through that again.

Some of this is speculation on my part, but based on trustworthy info I’ve gotten over the past year or so.
                            Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Chance27 View Post

this pack also has user sample added

Comment

Originally posted by Soultone View Post

this pack also has user sample added
                                I’ve seen this mentioned a couple of times, but I’ve yet to see where they say they add samples. (?)
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X