Metal Sound Edition Roland TD-50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Sound Edition Roland TD-50

Has anyone had experience with the new Drum-Tec Sound Edition?
    I think it sounds very good on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1CqexnjlOmk

If you LIKE that, youíre going to LOVE the next VEX release. However, the new VEX will have a LOT more to offer.
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

But I think I can't wait for it

Comment

Itís only about a month away.
        Alan

Comment

Ah ok

Do you make your Sounds with the original TD-50K or TD-50KV or with an old snare drum and ride cymbal?

Because I think the other VEX Sound packs are terrible to play with the TD-50K.
          Especially the VH11 HiHat. And I can't use the digital Ride as Crash cymbal like in the original Roland Sounds or Settings.

Comment

And I think the the snare drum sounds of the old VEX Packs are useless

Comment

Everyone has their own taste. Sounds like you have the wrong module for you. Maybe you should move to Mimic or VSTs. The 50 is not the best sounding module available.

Given the 50 only offers a few snares that are worth a damn, we do the best we can with what is there. Since the 50 also does not allow the engine's features to be used with external samples (no variable algorithm for realism with dynamics), it is useless to use external samples, IMO... unless you want massive one-shot hot-spotted results. That said, the new snares will be completely different than previous packs. The key word being "different".

We use DP pads during development. (if that's what you were asking)

If you don't like VEX; don't buy it. You should buy DT's pack, and see how that goes.
              Alan

Comment

Yes you are right.

But I love the new digital snare and ride to play.
                And the Roland drums are better to play like the other like Pearl.
                The only Problem with the TD50 is the snare Sound, as you said. The other sounds are great.

I am looking forward to your new snare sounds.
                I am looking for a crispy snare Sound for Funk, metal and Pop music.

Comment

I think you'll like what you hear. Check out the samples/video in about a month. I specifically spent time on all three of those things you're asking about. Will you like them? I can't say. People have different tastes. What people need to understand is modules can only achieve so much.

We also charge what we feel is fair. While DT is doing $55 for 15 kits, we do $60 for 50+. I've yet to understand DT's pricing. Maybe we should start doing 20-kit $50 packs. LOL
                  Alan

Comment

Do you work with user Samples like drumtec?

Comment

We did some on the 17 for introductory feedback - which has been good, but haven't yet on the 50.

Quite frankly, I'm personally just not happy with the way Roland pasted an SPD to the side of the 50. They needed a conversion engine for loading external samples that would adjust for usage with the internal engine. (I've looked at the completely dried up internal samples, and know the changes they make... but I'm not going into that... way too long to get into)

I've tested numerous options with samples. Simply put, the sample side of the 50 is intended to be used as an SPD for one-shots. While "mixing" can add flavor, I'm just not happy with the results. So, I've stuck with the engine for now. Watch the DT video. There are no grace notes for a reason. By the way, where is mention of them using samples yet? I didn't see it.

We do intend to attempt some sample-induced packs down the road for the 50. Personally, I like to provide things a customer can adjust/tune - not stick them with, "hey, this is all you get". Thus, the reason I continue with the internal design... for now. Again, that may change in the next year. Chris (fiddlebak) intends to do a similar pack with samples to the 17 for the 50. We'll see how that goes. In all honesty, people will then just compare and judge to VSTs.

Ultimately, we can't satisfy everyone.
                      Alan

Comment

Is Roland planning an update?
                        In my opinion, 2 things would be important for the update:
                        - internal snare sounds
                        - Algorithm for dynamic sample

Or do we have to wait for the next flagship in 10 years?

Comment

I donít think the 50 will see any additional updates or changes. Pretty sure about this.
                          Alan

Comment

Then I'm curious when Roland presents a new flagship.
                            Since actually the current flagship is already outdated after 2 years.
                            -> No possibility to fire samples
                            -> What I also lack is the ability to remotely control the settings of the TD50 via an ipad ...
                            And somehow I can not get over Midi. And the help of Roland is not really the best either.

Comment

Iím really not sure how many will be interested in another Roland flagship, if they stick to their current technology. Most people looking at Roland right now seem to be looking at other modules like the 17. Seems to me the market for them has changed, and they have become more of the entry & mid-range king in the past year. Their marketing has been focused here as well. Thereís likely a reason they changed directions.

Regardless, I wouldnít expect another flagship for at least two more years... at least... probably closer to four. There are still mid-level modules yet to be updated. However, Iíve expected pseudo-reboots of the 50 with updated/alternate pad choices at some point. They usually do that to boost sales. Just basing that part on their recent history. I expected a latter release with 2up/2down, but that hasnít happened.

Personally, I think the 50 disappointed a lot of the long-time flagship guys, as many seemed to move to Mimic, from what I can tell. Also seemed like many higher mid-range people moved to ATV, Alesis, and 2Box. Roland might need to spend some thought on their next flagship offering. Roland is probably still king, but I get the feeling they are quickly getting squeezed these days.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X