Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is VEX significantly better than the Roland Artist pack ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is VEX significantly better than the Roland Artist pack ?

I've just recently joined this VDrum forum because, like so many other out there, I can't believe how shabby the standard kits are on my TD50. A year ago I upgraded my TD30KV with the TD50 Upgrade pack and was immediately underwhelmed with the quality of the standard kits. Since then I've tinkered with settings and parameters to achieve some half decent sounds through my headphones. However, I've recently starting playing live and the kit sounds totally average. I've now loaded the free Artist upgrade kits from Roland which have improved things a bit but still leave a lot to be desired. How is it that when these kits are being demoed on YouTube by Michael Shack or Craig Blundell they sound awesome yet put them through a PA and they are uninspiring.
    I've read a lot of positive stuff about the VExpressions upgrade packs and am seriously considering this option. So, my question is whether anyone out there can give me an objective view on whether the VEX upgrades are significantly better than the Roland Artist upgrades, enough to justify the purchase.
    Cheers

I cant speak to the TD-50 or the Artist expression packs ....... But, I can say that the improvement on my kit with a VEX sound pack was nothing short of amazing.
    Money well spent
    TD-9 V2, Converted Acoustic kit with internal DIY triggers, triggered Sabian Quite tone cymbals

Comment

Vex is always better than the module sounds.
      Its what they do .
      "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

+1 on VEX

Comment

Roland stock kits are always lacking. Alan and Chris do a great job with the VEX expansions. Definitely a must have unless you can do it yourself. You should check out their samples - http://vexpressionsltd.com/

Way better than the stock and artist pack.
          Pearl Mimic Pro; Acrylic Shells; UFO eBridges; R-Drums RTB Trigger; ATV/Roland Cymbals.

TD-50DP; KD-9; PDX-100(x4); VH-13; Roland Cymbals.

Comment

I've downloaded the artist pack in search for better than stock kits on td50... Not one was usable for me, but they provided some insight to the way sound is manipulated in the module and helped me make my own kits to a degree. If you're not into tweaking your own stuff from zero, go with VEX for sure. I'd been tempted to buy kits, but always managed to get the sound I need on my own... Maybe that's the result of many years of studio engineering I did
            •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
            •Roland TD-12 brain, SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
            •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Both VEX expansions are fantastic. Incidentally I got the Roland TD-50 VIP download of brand new kits that just came out, long after the artist expansion kits. Brand new kits only maybe two months old from the original three guys that did the stock kits and the artist kits AND now the brand new VIP kits, I am stressing brand new here. And it's a substantial download of kits. And they sound awful. Shame on Roland and those programmers. Not one useable kit and still pissing around with the original ones. Shame and I'm so disappointed that Roland failed to take advantage of their own technology. Go VEX.

Comment

Cheers for all the useful comments. Really appreciated. I'm not great at delving into the dark underbelly of the Roland setup and it's ridiculous that Roland seem to think that everyone that buys their gear should be willing to do that. So definitely going to go with the VEX expansions.

Comment

No comparison. VEX rock!!!
                  :confused:

Comment

VEX, all the way!
                    Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV / SPD-SX / Superior Drummer 3

Comment

Honestly, I don't even understand why these modules are being judged based on the default kits. The TD-30 indeed has no useable default kit for me, and many sounds are unusable. Probably no different with the TD-50. So you find the most realistic sounding instruments, such as the maple snare, and create your own kit, perhaps a tiny bit EQ, adjust the room parameters to match the room you're playing in (important for me), etc., perhaps one evening of fiddling around, that's it.
                      E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rz173edtgc...14709.jpg?raw=1
                      A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                      TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

I guess they're being judged on the default kits because we've all spent a lot of money on them. Generally when you do that the product you get is good to go straight out of the box. You couldn't gig with any of the standard kits, they're just not realistic enough. Roland seem hell bent on trying to showcase every sound that they can produce an have come up with some really random kits. Perhaps if they just concentrated on 5 seriously good, useable kits they may have some success. I've bought VEX now and the difference in quality is amazing. So I'm happy now.

Comment

I just want to thank all our great VEX family for the kind and wonderful words and feedback in this thread. Bringing inspiration to fellow drummers around the world. This is why we do it.
                          Alan
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X