TDW20 Rockband 3 Custom Kit for Pro Drum Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW20 Rockband 3 Custom Kit for Pro Drum Mode

Since I'm in an uploading mood today, I thought I would send out my kit that I use on a regular basis for Rockband and Acoustic style playing. It's not modeled after a specific kit, but more the qualities I like in a kit. I don't get anymore complicated than mic placements, muffling and tuning... the same sort of stuff we do on acoustic kits. If anyone has any improvement ideas or knows of a similar sounding kit I should check out feel free to edit and repost.
    As for rockband, this kit has the midi settings to work with the MadKatz RB3 Midi Pro Adapter. Because there are only 4 drums in Rockband, the 2 floor toms are programmed to the same midi settings although acoustically they are different. I also have a second ride CY-15R on Aux1-2, this is mapped as an open hihat since I gave up on a way to get rockband to work with a real open hi hat. I've made some adjustments over the years to prevent false triggering. I can't remember all the changes I've made and it was a learning process. I don't know if those settings are saved with the file, so see what works for you.
    If it helps anyone out here, this is the MIDI mapping I use: non-default settings are blue
    Head Rim Madkatz MIDI controller options Color Notes
    Kick 36 - 33,35,36
    Snare 38 40 38,31,34,37.39,40 red
    Tom1 48 50 48,50 yellow
    Tom2 45 47 45,47 blue
    Tom3 43 41 41,43 green
    Tom4 41 43 41,43 green optional
    Hi-Hat 46 26 22,26,42,46,54 yellow
    Crash1 49 55 49,52,55,57 green
    Crash2 57 52 green
    Ride 51 53 51,53,56,59 blue
    Ride Edge 59 - 51,53,56,59 blue
    Aux1 56 56 51,53,56,59 blue (open hh) cy15 bow/edge
    Aux2 56 56 51,53,56,59 cy15 bow/bell
    Aux3 - -
    Aux4 - -
    HH pedal - - 44
    cc#4 foot controller - - allows hh to be held closed
    HH midi (46, 42, 26, 22, 54) optional
    BR midi 37, 37 optional
    I mark all Kits modified in Rockband pack with names ending with Midi symbol.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aguyinca; 08-07-18, 11:11 AM. Reason: I changed formatting in the chart for readability, added notes and simplified the changes for Tom3 and Tom4.
    TDW-20 (v2.52) Amp: Kat HD400
    VEX packs: Program 3, VXT1/2/3, Exotics1, Engineer1/2, Top 50 1/2
    MADKatz RB3 Midi Pro Adapter, Rogers acoustic kit
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAn...Wh-FviQ9IKPbVQ

http://www.dwsk.co.uk/index_phase_shift.html

In case you weren't aware of PhaseShift - there you go. 90+% of the charted songs are rips from RockBand but there are a bunch of 'real' drum charts out there such as ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsirKqaGeM

wait thats not a real drum mode version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DePJUBUoZo

Sodamlazy is one of the better real drum charters out there so look him up if you're curious.
    TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Originally posted by thebaronofsd View Post
      http://www.dwsk.co.uk/index_phase_shift.html

In case you weren't aware of PhaseShift - there you go. 90+% of the charted songs are rips from RockBand but there are a bunch of 'real' drum charts out there such as ...
      Thanks for the links. I haven't heard of PhaseShift before so I'll have to look into it. Especially if they have tracks you can't get with RB (Zeppelin?) I currently have over 1500 rockband songs, so I'm still working through those (currently ranked #86 in the leaderboards for Pro Drums). Thanks again for sharing the info!

Comment

When I had my TD-30 and now my Mimic I figured out how to get a open HH but the scores get killed by CC info I can't seem to stop from transmitting between open / close using a VH-13.
        Phase shift is pretty cool also but has no internal sounds so you have to match the songs kit pretty close which is a lot of work.
        I also have a controller for Guitar Hero drums hooked up to the Mimic which also works fine. It is the least used however due to personal taste.

I never tried Rock Band 4 because I never wanted to buy the needed PS4 just to play one game! I am not a gamer type. The PS3 was bought just for the bluray player and music player over the home network back in the day.

I still have an original RB2 drum set (wired), Cymbal expansion, midi pro adapter and RB3 game disk new in boxes. Not even sure why. LOL

RockBand 3 is still fun and useful for working on timing and my grandchildren love to watch and / or play when they come over.
        What a great use for a +$20,000.00 home studio right?

I also have Rocksmith but never had time to really mess with it. Work just cuts into my playtime way too much!
        Oops, My new Harley is begging for some attention as the weather is finally turning to spring. Gotta go! Must kiss the wife on the way out the door.
        "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Originally posted by aguyinca View Post

Thanks for the links. I haven't heard of PhaseShift before so I'll have to look into it. Especially if they have tracks you can't get with RB (Zeppelin?) I currently have over 1500 rockband songs, so I'm still working through those (currently ranked #86 in the leaderboards for Pro Drums). Thanks again for sharing the info!
          np once you get to it PM me or start another thread so all can view. there are over 7000 charted songs for PhaseShift. Again the overwhelming majority of these are RockBand or Guitar Hero rips. However there are also gems like

https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/v...593364#p593364

That's a convenient link to most of the Phase Shift specific drum charts and in that is the link to the community drum projects.

Intruder - sadly RockSmith flat out refuses to support MIDI. I tried convincing the devs that adding midi not only adds drum support but also keyboards. They claim that together there isn't enough market out there between drums and keys to justify adding MIDI. Really sad too as the guitar portion of RockSmith is quite good - has its flaws yes - but over all quite good. if there were to add midi we would have an edutainment package that truly would be a "RockSmith" .... but alas.

PhaseShift hasn't been formally updated since 2015 however the devs recently put out some bug fixes and have a thread on their forum discussing one more major point release to fix more bugs and add a few more features. Anyone interested please log in to the forum link from my previous post and throw your hat/ideas into the support ring. IMO this is the best drum edutainment app on the net. I try to support it anyway I can because of that.

TD-25 + TD-6v running - 2 x PD-100s updated with dual Piezo, 3 x PD-120, VH-11, Alesis 16" 3 zone Strike Ride, Alesis 14" Strike crash, 1 x CY-15r, 2 x CY-13r as crash, 1 x Cy-12. iconnectmidi2+ and 2 x iconnect mio for midi triggering.

Comment

Intruder, Sounds a lot like my situation, except switch the Harley for a Victory.. I spent way too much on RB3 songs to have any interest in a PS4. I've played with Rocksmith as well, but I feel there is so much I want to accomplish with drums that I never invested much time into guitar (although I did take classical guitar lessons with a student of Rey del aTorre). There is another game called BandFuse that I was able to pick up for $10 w/ a guitar cable, which is well worth it. It's tab method is closer to RB (I found the 3D effect in Rocksmith harder to follow).
            My big goal has been to get 5 stars on every RB song I own using Expert mode and Pro Drums, so I can't really put time into guitar until that is done (if ever). Overall what I really care about is that I keep improving. I love the feeling of going back to songs I played a year ago and now play much more relaxed and there is no kidding myself because RB will tell me if I missed any notes. I've developed better timing, more endurance, controlled speed and more relaxed. I've also learned songs and styles of play that I never would have had an interest in earlier. As well as learning about bands that I never heard of... there is a band called Rishloo that has some really fun prog type stuff on RBN. Occasionally I'll jam with friends or along with the radio... but nothing beats the convenience of RB.
            I downloaded Top50 drummers 1 and 2 last night, so I need to neglect my other tasks and load

Comment

np once you get to it PM me or start another thread so all can view. there are over 7000 charted songs for PhaseShift. Again the overwhelming majority of these are RockBand or Guitar Hero rips. However there are also gems like

https://www.fretsonfire.org/forums/v...593364#p593364

Baron, You had me at 7000! It looks like there is some cool stuff on that forum. My next project will recording some videos and a friend wants to work on some material for a show next year so it's not the right time for me to start another obsession.. but PhaseShift is something I will eventually look into closer. Thanks again for sharing the info.

Comment

np!

its a cool indie game that i'd recommend anyone on this forum check out. I'll throw up a PhaseShift post somewhere with some general info and config stuff a bit. As mentioned, they're looking to do one final major update and release on Steam. QoL and stabilization stuff mostly. There is a network mode that apparently allows folks to play together online. IDK how they do the hit detection and syncing between all the clients over the internet and haven't even tried this mode yet but I've heard it works.

http://dwsk.proboards.com/thread/269...ift-road-steam

Thats the update announcement thread for anyone interested.

Comment

one last bump then i'll leave this alone for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNmwThlXDk

I'm not a huge fan of the music however that vid gives you a good idea as to what phaseshift can do on real drums mode.

Comment

one last bump then i'll leave this alone for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjNmwThlXDk

I'm not a huge fan of the music however that vid gives you a good idea as to what phaseshift can do on real drums mode.
                    Not my style either, not a double bass player. but impressive and clean. It does seem like it's hard to notice the difference between cymbal and drum notes in the notation. Maybe it's something to get use to, but it seems the icons could be a bit bigger. Then again eye sight starts to go after hearing.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                      Just to return to the original thread about RB3, I have a TDW20 and I found that I only had to change the MIDI Notes for the Open HiHat as follows:

Rockband Configuration Section.

The MIDI Note# Mappings for the Madcatz MIDI Pro-Adapter are set,and cannot be changed.

The MadCatz Midi Adapter and Rockband do not care about the MIDI Channel, only the MIDI Note Number, so they can be played by Drum Kit or Percussion Set.

The MadCatz Midi Adapter assigns Yellow Cymbal - Hi Hat to Notes 22, 26, 42, 46, 54 and Blue Cymbal - Ride to Notes 51, 53, 56, 59

But TD-20 has these Notes assigned as follows
                      22 - Trig 7 Rim - HH Closed
                      26 - Trig 7 Rim - HH Open
                      42 - Trig 7 Bow - HH Closed
                      46 - Trig 7 Bow - HH Open
                      54 - Unassigned

51 - Trig 10 Bow - Ride
                      53 - Trig 10 Rim - Ride
                      56 - Unassigned
                      59 - Trig 11 Bell - Ride

Now, If you make Trig 7 Open (26 and 46) both to 51, when you hit your Ride it will sound your Open HH as per section on Setting Multiple Pads to the same Note Number on p.36 of TD-20 Manual or p.54 of TD-20X Manual. This is not desirable.

Therefore, what I have done is just change Trig. 7 Bow and Trig 7 Rim - HH Open from Notes 26 and 46 to 56 (previously unassigned).
                      This will not interfere with the working of the rest of the Kit.

Go Inst - Ctrl (F3) - MIDI (F5) - HiHat MIDI (F2)
                      Set Open (Edge) from 26 to 56
                      and optionally (recommended)
                      Set Open (Bow) from 46 to 56

This will not interefere with any other pads/instruments, but will set both the Rim and the Bow of the Open HiHat to the same open sound, the sound of the Open HiHat Edge to the same Note and Sound, so there would be no Bow/Edge differentiation, but I don't think this is too much of a sacrifice.

Leave the other settings at default
                      Closed (Bow) on MIDI Note No. 42
                      Closed (Edge) on MIDI Note No. 22
                      Pedal on MIDI Note No. 44

Then Go Setup - MIDI (F1) - Ctrl (F3)
                      Adjust the HH Note# Border until you reliably transition between
                      Yellow and Blue Cymbals on Close/Open HiHat
                      I found my system with VH12 worked well with this value set to 90.
                      No other settings or hardware needed.

In the MIDI settings change pedal cc to foot 4, hihat compatibilty to external, and note border to 90
                      For the TD20 enter Setup, then Midi, then the tab for control (ctrl). For "HH note # Border" I changed the value from 127 to 107. This will give you a good closed sound.
                      Set HiHat Type to V11 and CC Max to 100 and CC Resolution to High

I'm still trying to find a reliable setting to eliminate completely the spurious note on transition from Open to Closed HiHat, but I find I can play with my HiHat Clutch set to only physically open to Half Open, and it works most of the time.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by tkydon View Post
                        Thanks for the info.

In the MIDI settings change pedal cc to foot 4, hihat compatibilty to external, and note border to 90
                        For the TD20 enter Setup, then Midi, then the tab for control (ctrl). For "HH note # Border" I changed the value from 127 to 107. This will give you a good closed sound.
                        Set HiHat Type to V11 and CC Max to 100 and CC Resolution to High

I'm still trying to find a reliable setting to eliminate completely the spurious note on transition from Open to Closed HiHat, but I find I can play with my HiHat Clutch set to only physically open to Half Open, and it works most of the time.

HTH.
                        Thanks tkydon! I wasn't aware of how the threshold between open and closed was controlled. I haven't played around with this, since I'm just using a second cymbal for an open hi hat, but it is useful information.

Comment

Working...
                        X