Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

VEX & Mimic Pro

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Six
    Registered Member
    • 11-2017

Originally posted by Chris K

you can search in google like, free wav sample, free percussion wav, free percussion sample etc. and imports into mimic, format must be in 16bits 44.1khz
    Curious. MP accepts 24bit wav files per the manual, but is 96 kHz acceptable at that bit rate?

Comment

• Chris K
      Registered Member
      • 04-2003

24bit are usefull for recording, to capture much details as possible in studio, 16bits for playback is plenty enought, 44.1khz mimic accept.
      Last edited by Chris K; 04-04-18, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Six
        Registered Member
        • 11-2017

Thanks Chris!
        Alan, with VEX kits you say they are on the "wet side". Is it reasonable to say removing/reducing OH/Room mics can sufficiently dry the kits?

Comment

• Alan VEX
          VDrums Forum Administrator
          • 10-2004

Originally posted by Six
          Thanks Chris!
          Alan, with VEX kits you say they are on the "wet side". Is it reasonable to say removing/reducing OH/Room mics can sufficiently dry the kits?
          First to answer your question... OH, RM, & Reverb should be adjusted per instrument. The reason I say this is because adjusting it globally will change the overall kit sound, and this may impact things like cymbals and life in other instruments like the snare. However, due to some upcoming Mimic updates, you might want to consider waiting to do in-depth editing. (you can anyway, it's your choice) Allow me to expand...

There are some (actually, many!) updates coming to the Mimic. One of these updates targets the mixers and their levels. As I mentioned in our recent YT video, I am going to transition to mixing properly in the Mimic as it is done in the real world studio. (for more why I did it the way I did in Origins, please watch the video named "Understanding..." on our YouTube channel)

That said, the upcoming Mimic update and our transition in development style moving forward will put us all on the same page, and mixing "properly". (again, see the video for understanding) This also means I will go back and adjust the Origins pack to align with all this. At some point in the somewhat near future (this will take me a little while), I will issue an update. The kits will not change overall, and no one has anything to worry about. Simply put, the mixers will be readjusted for real-world techniques, and other levels (mics/comps) will be adjusted to offset those volume differences. The kits will sound the same after these adjustments. I'm doing this simply because I want us all to use the Mimic PROPERLY, and I'd rather do it globally, than explain in a video and have you all do the work.

Hope that helps!
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

• Six
            Registered Member
            • 11-2017

I listened to the video, a couple times. Given your comments, should I wait before acquiring Origins? Are these updates in the near future or are we talk a month or more?

Comment

• Alan VEX
              • 10-2004

Originally posted by Six
              I listened to the video, a couple times. Given your comments, should I wait before acquiring Origins? Are these updates in the near future or are we talk a month or more?
              I'm going to try to do it soon, before I get too deep into the next pack. Once I adjust a kit, I'll know how long it will take. I'm hoping it will only take a few minutes per kit, but I honestly do not know yet.
              Alan
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Trip McNealy
                Registered Member
                • 08-2007

Alan, can't wait for that series to come out! Been looking for something like that for a while!

It makes sense to me. The only thing I've changed right now on my Origins mixer setups is bring the Cymbals main bus down to 0db in the PHONES. Everything else is calibrated exactly per your manual. I find that for my headphones/personal taste/physical ears that 3dB was too loud for my eardrums. I am going to printout your latest manual and try the "new" levels!
                Last edited by Trip McNealy; 04-06-18, 07:12 AM.
                I've been drumming for 44 years. I'm 43 years old.

Comment

• Alan VEX
                  • 10-2004

Originally posted by Trip McNealy
                  Alan, can't wait for that series to come out! Been looking for something like that for a while!

It makes sense to me. The only thing I've changed right now on my Origins mixer setups is bring the Cymbals main bus down to 0db in the PHONES. Everything else is calibrated exactly per your manual. I find that for my headphones/personal taste/physical ears that 3dB was too loud for my eardrums. I am going to printout your latest manual and try the "new" levels!
                  Alan

Comment

• jay888bee
                    Registered Member
                    • 02-2015

Last edited by jay888bee; 04-06-18, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Alan VEX
                      • 10-2004

Mimic treats kits as individual. They don't overwrite default kits.

Future adjustments are for other reasons. (update related) It's nothing to worry about, and I'll explain when I issue the update why we are transitioning to the new levels.
                      Alan

Comment

• Alan VEX
                        • 10-2004

Just thought I'd update everyone...

The Origins update is complete. The updated kits will not work with the current firmware, so it will be delivered at the time of Pearl's update release.

I will be providing an updated manual to address the changes that were made (no sound difference in this update), and another video to cover it all for those who hate to read. I'll go into detail in the video on why the update was needed, and explain many of Pearl's newly added features.

Additionally, for those who may have created kits based on the original Origins kits, I will provide a simple-to-follow guide for making the same changes to your cloned/edited kits so you can continue to use them.

There is nothing to fear with this update. It simply aligns with Mimic's default mixer levels and related changes. It ensures that Origins and future expansions will now be plug n' play - without all the mixer setup hassle. (personal adjustments will always be dependent on you and your needs/desires, of course)

There is no ETA on Pearl's update, and please do not bug Sergey. He is working VERY, VERY hard to improve, add, and nearly overhaul the module based on all the requests everyone has made. Please be patient, and trust me; it's worth the wait. We're going to owe him a major thank-you for this amazing update!

Hope that helps!

PS: I will say this has eaten a week or so out of my next pack development, and is putting me behind schedule... but both Pearl and Origins updates will be worth the extra couple of weeks we've spent in updating, testing, fixing, improving... you get the idea.
                        Alan

Comment

• EssKayKay
                          Registered Member
                          • 03-2013

Thank you Alan much appreciated info. I believe you are now part of the Mimic A-Team.

Comment

• jammin777
                            Memorialized Member
                            • 12-2004

i dont mind waiting, it is unbelievable and a real blessing that sergey and team continues to update our dream module and continues to perfect it.
                            Last edited by jammin777; 04-08-18, 01:00 AM.
                            Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

• spitfirejoe
                              Registered Member
                              • 09-2016

Thank you Alan and thank you Sergey ( Mr.Boo ) for working so great together, looking forward to the updates which are coming.

Comment

• Chris K
                                Registered Member
                                • 04-2003

Originally posted by jammin777
                                i dont mind waiting, it is unbelievable and a real blessing that sergey and team continues to update our dream module and continues to perfect it.
                                Yup people often forget Mr.boo words for some reason.

All people that give important input and all people tested beta firmware before for hihat and many things earlier are parts of this progress since the release of mimic.
                                Last edited by Chris K; 04-08-18, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...