Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, really shaping up to be an excellent pack!!!

With this next pack, will you be doing anything like you do for Roland VEX with cymbal packs? While I know you like to include a "base" set of cymbals that are used across most of the kits, I find myself tweaking what you provide a bit further (just for personal taste) to make them a little darker and bigger sounding. I know with some great EQ and Tuning the 14" HHV hats and 20" CST crashes make awesome Zildjian K-like dark sounds great for country and rock.
    Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
    Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
      Wow, really shaping up to be an excellent pack!!!

With this next pack, will you be doing anything like you do for Roland VEX with cymbal packs? While I know you like to include a "base" set of cymbals that are used across most of the kits, I find myself tweaking what you provide a bit further (just for personal taste) to make them a little darker and bigger sounding. I know with some great EQ and Tuning the 14" HHV hats and 20" CST crashes make awesome Zildjian K-like dark sounds great for country and rock.
      I like that idea as well. I personally love darker, trashier cymbals. Meinl Byzance Extra Dry and Sabian HHX Ozone for example.

Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
        Been mentioned a few times already... likely end of June. VEX is ready to go.

It's like waiting for Christmas morning when you're 5 years old
        Pearl MIMIC Pro, ATV aD5, ATV aDrums

Comment

• Originally posted by Six View Post
          Thanks Alan! Twenty more to go You are going to leave the names the same, I hope? I am filtering the ones for my top picks once released.
          I'll probably do around 5 more, and plan to do default instrument examples for the SN, BD, TMs & CYs.
          Alan
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
            Wow, really shaping up to be an excellent pack!!!

I'm holding off until the next Pearl sound release/update. I want more to offer first. I think we may see something in the coming month or two.

That said, you'll like this new pack. One of the first compliments Jerry gave me on the pack was about the much improved cymbals. There are bright and dark available; and I've done them in a way that simply adjusting tuning up for vintage, and down for brights, give you plenty of voice options. Same thing for the splashes. I found this worked better than fine for consistency and easy/fast copy/paste/retune tweaks. I'll be showing this in a video. I spent a lot of time building "default" instruments that can be easily copied and modified, without a lot of work..
            Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Tred View Post
              Hey Alan, those kits are very good. Personally I like both processed and clean kits. I own the Origins pack and its amazing, Im sure this new pack will be amazing as well, based on I had listened. Thank you for the samples!

BTW, anyone knows how to listen those mp3 in Mac? I have tried with no success. Every time I have to borrow my wife's notebook in order to open these files. Thanks.
              After downloading you need to cut off the HTML extension on the file, leaving only MP3 and then it should open automatically in iTunes.

Comment

• Maybe I'm missing something or just haven't "learned" my module well enough BUT how do I build my own custom sound by selecting individual VEX samples from separate presets? Can I save individual drum/cymbal sounds?
                Last edited by Npratt; 06-10-18, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• “Coming soon.”
                  Alan

Comment

“Coming soon.”
                    Alan, I believe you posted a breakdown on how you set up your hats on The mimic but I can’t seem to find it. Can you direct me? Also, what are your trigger settings on your crashes? If we wanted to have a good crashing ride, what’s a good setting?

Comment

• The HH tut is a sticky in this forum.

I dont use my ride ode as a crash, so I couldn’t help there.

I think I used default CY settings. Just follow the basic setup instructions in the Mimic manual. That’s all I did.
                      Alan

Comment

The HH tut is a sticky in this forum.

I dont use my ride ode as a crash, so I couldn’t help there.

I think I used default CY settings. Just follow the basic setup instructions in the Mimic manual. That’s all I did.
                        Newer to the site. How do I access the HH tut that is a sticky?

Comment

• You are here:

Home > Forum > Advanced > V Expressions & Custom Kits >

Where there is a sticky here:

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...tings-tutorial
                          Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Npratt View Post

Newer to the site. How do I access the HH tut that is a sticky?
                            You can use this as well below.

You need to calibrate first input gain\ top velocity\threshold on each zone (piezo bell\ bow\ edge, center\rims)
                            For drums and cymbal:
                            -Select the appropriate triggers preset.
                            -Select one zone of triggers at a time.
                            -Increase the Input gain faders to above 5 until you start hearing the lightness \ghost notes sound
                            -After click capture top velocity, hit 5 hard time the current zone, then click store.
                            -Set threshold in advanced button, move it to lower until all lightest hits are detected
                            -Repeat this procedure from above for all zone, pad and cymbal
                            *Do not use the Zone Velo Mod, keep default setting.

For a hihat controller calibration:
                            - Go to hihat trigger settings, HatControl tab
                            - Use "Capture Close/Open position" function to dial your tight closed and full open settings, follow text instruction.

- if needed only, Dial the "close/open border threshold" manually - for this I prefer to double-tap the "close/open border" fader and move the yellow line with hardware data wheel (from bottom to the top) while playing some chick patterns and some "hit-open-hat - then -close -it -with-a - pedal" patterns. You'll find a position where the hat response is ok for your playing.
                            Actually - yellow line threshold is basically the hat position where chick sound is generated. So it is kinda when top and bottom cymbals are coming together (on a real hihat) but not yet fully closed. Thus the name.

-Settings tab "footsplash sensitivity" is the foot splash sensitivity

-Settings tab "close to open transition sensitivity" is the time that mimic waits for a hihat transition from closed to open after closed hat stroke.
                            For tight/fast players it's ok in 5-10 range
                            Some drummers prefer slower playing style and use it in 20-40 range

At the end of all, you need to do the crosstalk suppression, middle on top of the screen, click setting button near the reset button.

Ps: Each time you move, or tweak settings on trigger, you need to do the cross talk suppression again.

Comment

• Having some fun with different songs today as I put together demo videos.

These are probably kits that were already posted, but with different songs.

As a reminder, these are not supposed to match the bands or drummers perfectly.
                              Attached Files
                              Alan

Comment

• What can I say? So good! Looking forward for Pearl's update, Alan's new videos and new VEX pack!
                                Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X