This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Six View Post

Never heard of Sucherman, but a nice sound.
    Will you have anything for fusion and contemporary gospel in your release?
    Sucherman, IMO, has one of the best natural sounds of all time. This kit is based off his very well known Pearl Masterworks Bubinga/Maple ply kit with the 20 layer snare... my dream kit.

I have a few kits that fit perfectly with fusion. (designed based on fusion sounds/styles) Many other kits are designed and will work fine with any contemporary style. This pack is designed for mass application - meaning, they are designed to fit numerous styles, while providing realistic results that can be used on almost anything. The "artist" kits I've shown are limited. There are actually only 15 of them. Those chosen were simply chose for two reasons... by request earlier in the topic, and for diversity throughout the decades.
    Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

I have a few kits that fit perfectly with fusion. (designed based on fusion sounds/styles) Many other kits are designed and will work fine with any contemporary style. This pack is designed for mass application - meaning, they are designed to fit numerous styles, while providing realistic results that can be used on almost anything. The "artist" kits I've shown are limited. There are actually only 15 of them. Those chosen were simply chose for two reasons... by request earlier in the topic, and for diversity throughout the decades.
      Very good, looking forward to them! I don't play much rock any more, though that is what I started out with (Grand Funk, Yes, Deep Purple, etc). Then I was introduced to RTF and along came Weckl, and recently C.Coleman. I haven't been the same :-)

Comment

• I'm trying to make even the more "rock" kit mixes work with a wider array of things, while keeping the heavier mixes.
        Alan

Comment

• Six,

Originally posted by Six View Post
          Never heard of Sucherman, but a nice sound.
          About the upcoming VEX pack for Mimic Pro and the Todd Sucherman kit. That Todd Sucherman kit is possibly my favorite example thus far. Very nice sounding kit. Open and clean. Todd Sucherman's body of work is enormous. He's one of the current, modern players shaping the future of drumming. Astounding technical execution and always so very, very musical. Just to get you started, check out Todd's performance of Jerry Goodman's Tears of Joy. This is from Sucherman's Methods and Mechanics DVD:

Tears of Joy - Todd Sucherman
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 02-13-18, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Now you see why I created a screenshot mixer template for my manual.
            Good day Alan, could you share the template you are referring to?

Comment

• Yea, I've followed Todd for a really long time. I got into his playing around early 2000 or so when I had my Pearl Masters. His sound and gracious technique is addictive and inspiring.
              Alan

Comment

Good day Alan, could you share the template you are referring to?
                Maybe after I convert it to an easier option for editing. I did a quick layout in PS, but I think I'm going to re-do it in AI.

Although many elements are hidden, the top two are mine compared to the manual versions below. It's impossible to tell the difference when I set mine up to copy the original. lol (my former life was spent as a graphic designer )

Sadly, I have to make a few more of these for other screens.

temp.png
                Alan

Comment

• Thanks Alan, So you maxout all volume? Do you take before and after pics of each layer for each instrument?

Comment

Thanks Alan, So you maxout all volume? Do you take before and after pics of each layer for each instrument?
                    lol Don't base anything off that template. That's just the base I'll be creating from. Like I said, a lot is hidden, and you're only see the top PS layer.

The manual will advise as to "recommended" settings across several key areas. I do have "highly recommended" settings the user will want to adjust prior to playing to get the identical result they hear in my samples. These will be presented in the manual and online videos. And no, everything is not maxed. Certain things are set for specific reasons. (ie: live, studio, DAW, etc.) I'm going to be providing lots of tutorials. I dumped about a $5-6k investment into creating a killer YT channel.
                    Alan

Comment

lol Don't base anything off that template. That's just the base I'll be creating from. Like I said, a lot is hidden, and you're only see the top PS layer.

The manual will advise as to "recommended" settings across several key areas. I do have "highly recommended" settings the user will want to adjust prior to playing to get the identical result they hear in my samples. These will be presented in the manual and online videos. And no, everything is not maxed. Certain things are set for specific reasons. (ie: live, studio, DAW, etc.) I'm going to be providing lots of tutorials. I dumped about a $5-6k investment into creating a killer YT channel.
                      Cool!

New subject: I was about to by some HOSA cables and db25 snake. The sales guys say don't do it, unless I just want the cheapest option. I'd be asking for trouble later.
                      Is there that much difference in Roland cables and a Pro Co snake? The pricing he's quoting is about $30 more than HOSA stuff. (Anyone please weigh in).

Comment

• i have a hosa db25 snake for the MP and is fine among other cables such hosa splitter y cables and 8 channel hosa snake. zero issues,
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I'm probably going to go back through many of the other cyms on other kits, and match where appropriate for that kit's intention.
                          Copy instruments would save time. Try to make lots of kits in this genre of mood\ambiance, I means with different instruments, it sound well to ears.

BTW did you used the Range fader to reduce the top layers? some snare have harder hit at top level. I found at 80 level for some snare have a nice mixture and reduce the highest tight snare sound.

Comment

Cool!

New subject: I was about to by some HOSA cables and db25 snake. The sales guys say don't do it, unless I just want the cheapest option. I'd be asking for trouble later.
                            Is there that much difference in Roland cables and a Pro Co snake? The pricing he's quoting is about $30 more than HOSA stuff. (Anyone please weigh in).
                            I use nothing but Hosa cables. Always have. I use both the 8-channel 1/4" and DB25 versions. Just research on the Hosa site for what you need, and then go to Amazon.
                            Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris K View Post

Copy instruments would save time. Try to make lots of kits in this genre of mood\ambiance, I means with different instruments, it sound well to ears.

BTW did you used the Range fader to reduce the top layers? some snare have harder hit at top level. I found at 80 level for some snare have a nice mixture and reduce the highest tight snare sound.
                              The copy feature hasn't been started yet. It will probably be quite some time before we see it.

Yes, I use range options on some kits where I want softer results. I prefer between 85-95, when I use it. I prefer to keep some brilliance.
                              Alan

Comment

• Thanks Jammin and Alan regarding the cables and snake!

Comment

Working...
                                X