This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

I've a;ways only done crashes on CR1 & 2. (not counting alternative cym packs)
    Not saying necessarily yours. There was some Bonham kit I found somewhere for the TD-30 where crash 2 was a China. It made me nuts!
    Main Kit: Mimic Pro, PD-128-BC, PDX-100 (x4), CY-5 (x2), CY-15R, CY-14C (x2), CY-12C (x2), CY-8, KT-10 (x2), FD-9, BT-1 (x6), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK, QSC K10 & KSub, Yamaha MG10XU, Westone AM Pro 30, Bose QC35, Roc-N-Soc Nitro
    Mini Kit: TD-30, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (x3), CY-13R, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post

Not saying necessarily yours. There was some Bonham kit I found somewhere for the TD-30 where crash 2 was a China. It made me nuts!
      Chris may have done one. Don’t remember.
      Alan

Comment

• Had a chance to play the Merry Vexmas sample kits at a gig this week, I stuck mainly to the Copeland and Hakim kits. Just when I thought I did a pretty decent job on my own custom kits, these VEX ones soon as I played them through our PA I was like WOOOOOOAHH. Very prominent, powerful kits. I enjoyed finally have a ride cymbal sound cutting through the mix - I was struggling with this for a long time.

Can't wait for the rest!!
        Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
        Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

• Originally posted by Trip McNealy View Post
          Had a chance to play the Merry Vexmas sample kits at a gig this week, I stuck mainly to the Copeland and Hakim kits. Just when I thought I did a pretty decent job on my own custom kits, these VEX ones soon as I played them through our PA I was like WOOOOOOAHH. Very prominent, powerful kits. I enjoyed finally have a ride cymbal sound cutting through the mix - I was struggling with this for a long time.

Can't wait for the rest!!
          Awesome! Would love to see a gig video sometime!
          Alan

Comment

• Just wanted to post an update to keep everyone in the loop. (since I've been asked a couple of times)

As we discussed earlier in the topic, The first pack would take about 90 days.

So everyone realizes the true timeline, the Mimic arrived the second week of November. I stated it would take about two weeks to get to know the module before I actually would start on kits.

By the first week of December, I did in fact begin kit development. Four weeks later, I emailed a Christmas gift to the pre-order members.

All this adds up to the target release date being in late February. I am still on target for this date, and see no immediate hurdles that will slow me down.

In full disclosure, I am up to about 35 kits, but they ALL will have to be re-visited in two more phases of my development.

I have been tweaking reverb settings to improve choking quality; and I am happy to report that between my modifications, and Mimic's upcoming firmware update, choking will finally be perfect for all you CY owners.

I do plan to send out another mini-release to the pre-order group. I haven't set a date yet, but it will likely be late next week.

I hope this helps!
            Alan

Comment

• Alan,

I hope it's OKAY for me to speak freely here when I say 'I have full faith in you and know your dedication to this project is sincere'. Take all the time you need as I know the Mimic VEX kits will shine. – a rushed project will only suffer in the end.

Thanks for your commitment….

Comment

• Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                Alan,

I hope it's OKAY for me to speak freely here when I say 'I have full faith in you and know your dedication to this project is sincere'. Take all the time you need as I know the Mimic VEX kits will shine. – a rushed project will only suffer in the end.

It's all cool. I just wanted everyone updated.
                Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                  Alan,

great statement - I agree 100 percent

Comment

• MAJOR UPDATE:

Aaaaaaand, as luck would have it... or should I say, as Murphy's Law dictates... I have been notified of a major sound-changing release that is now going to delay our initial release. (preface: the good news is this is a one-time thing)

Alex from the Mimic dev team contacted me a few weeks back to inform me that many of the original Mimic snare sound files (SSD5 snares) are going to be updated in an upcoming sound library update. The update will change/improve original snare sounds quite a bit. (this is mainly in the OH & Room mics)

However, due to the update, it will change all modeling of the snares in all the VEX kits I am currently working on. This is going to dictate a re-visit to the snare modeling of all kits before the final release. Thus, this is going to produce a [hopefully] short delay to our late-February release date.

Why will this produce a delay? The update is not scheduled for public release until March. However, I will be getting the update sooner. (late February) I will be able to complete work on the VEX release during the lag time between when I get the update, and it is released to the public. (depending on the size of that window, of course)

That said, I will have to wait until the update in March is released to all you fine folks, before I can deliver/release the initial expansion. Otherwise, you are all going to hear drastic changes when the update is applied a short time later.

I will be continuing to work as planned. I will be finished on time as planned. I will most likely be sending another pre-order mini-release out in a week or two. However, I am notifying you now that the kits you've already received, and those coming, will be changed and updated with the final release.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but in the end it should actually produce a better result, and not require an update. (which VEX has always tried to avoid)

I will, of course, keep everyone updated as I hear more.
                    Alan

Comment

• Probably a blessing in disguise Alan. We are very fortunate you are in their (Pearl/Mimic) loop -- we will all benefit from this.

Comment

• I can't believe they are going back to "remaster" all the snare samples. They obviously think there's an improvement to be had, I certainly believe that too!

I remember being an early critic of just that, a criticism that has actually disappeared over time, I must say, especially since I've heard many user recordings I like the sound of.

At minimum I was expecting to see the presets be updated, but to hear the snares are going to be improved on the sample level is objectivity better. Hard to overstate how pleased I am to hear improvements like this, and also how Pearl expertly seems to have an ear to this forum.
                        ♦ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ♦ MegaDRUM + Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ♦ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ♦ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring
                        Community Drum Module Document
                        PA Specifications (wip)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                          ...At minimum I was expecting to see the presets be updated, but to hear the snares are going to be improved on the sample level is objectivity better. Hard to overstate how pleased I am to hear improvements like this, and also how Pearl expertly seems to have an ear to this forum.
                          As mentioned, this has more to do with the overheads and room channels. (from what I'm told) Regardless, it's all tied to the main sound you select. Thus, all the snare "sounds" are being replaced ground up. This is how I understand it. Alex thought there wouldn't be too much of a change, but it turned out there was. While the update ties mainly to all the sounds related to the snare overheads and room, he said comp will remain fine. (and something else I didn't understand) It's the rest I have to go back and re-model. I expect this to be everything in the mic & effects tabs. (at minimum) This will take some time.
                          Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post

At minimum I was expecting to see the presets be updated, but to hear the snares are going to be improved on the sample level is objectivity better. Hard to overstate how pleased I am to hear improvements like this, and also how Pearl expertly seems to have an ear to this forum.
                            Not intending to hijack this thread in order to bash Roland, but I feel compelled to also state my pleasure in Pearl having that ear to improve their product aggressively in response to customer feedback. Heck, we've been *****ing about the snares in the TD-50 ever since it came out and Roland has done jack squat except remodel a few kits which to me still sound like garbage.

VEX + Mimic = a great partnership! I am so glad to be part of the experience.
                            Last edited by Trip McNealy; 01-24-18, 07:39 AM.
                            Live Rig: Mimic Pro | PD-125X pads | ATV + Roland cym | DIY 13" Snare + 14" Kick | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12 + iQ15B
                            Studio Rig: TD-12 w/ SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

• That sounds great! I will hopefully see Alex this weekend at the Pearl booth and try to find out more. Keep in mind the Mimic is "powered by Slate" .They are the ones doing the sounds. That is probably why they are going into so much detail compared to a much larger company like Roland. A visit to the Roland "booth"[concert venue] at NAMM gives you a sense of the size of the company. Yamaha is also very large. Even the whole Pearl room is not very big in comparison. It is amazing that Pearl got behind this!

Comment

• Hope they move on this faster than they are with Steven Slate Drums 5. 3+ years and counting.
                                "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                                X