This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Six View Post
    Ok :-) What do you need to begin; sound snippets of the various instruments?
    But, I ultimately wish to learn how to fish for myself ;-) Perhaps we can chat sidebar.
    Just post the video. I make no promises; but if I like it, and I think customers will too, then I'll probably work it into a pack.

The answer to your second part will be coming soon.
    Alan

Comment

• Alan, here's a sample of the genre I'd like to begin to incorporate. The videos are too long, so I did a capture of the most isolated areas of each. It's in .wav format and too large to upload here. http://www.screencast.com/t/1lbGPDyjmfVD. Best heard with headphones. Looking forward to the "second part" coming soon!
      Last edited by Six; 01-02-18, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Hi All, I thought you might be interested in what I did here with Alan's Vex Bonzo kit, on a Dire Straits track. I think this shows two things: (a) how great and versatile Alan's Vex Bonzo kit is and (b) how wonderfully versatile the Mimic is.

I made only the following changes to the Bonzo kit - I reduced the room and reverb from what was a very high +5db (I had increased from Alan's setting for my 'Bonham' video), to what was quite low - around -5db. I adjusted the relative volumes of the kit pieces to sit in the mix. I then cut the sustain and release substantially on all of the toms, to effectively dampen them. This stopped them being muddy during the bigger fills.

I used the Mimic Recorder to record my performance - I played along to a drumless track (its actually my band, its taken from our album). I did zero post production. This is simply what came out of the Master (and headphone) Outs. There is no multi-tracking or faffing with compression and eq. The settings are all as Alan had them, and flat eq on the masters. Any losses of low end that may be present will be down to the conversion from WAV to whatever the hell YouTube does with the video file. Regardless, I think this sounds amazing. A Bonham kit, on a Dire Straits track Hope you enjoy....

Pearl Mimic Pro with Drum-Tec 7pc Pro Series, ATV hats, ride and 16” crash, and a few old Roland CY14s

Comment

• Originally posted by jouxplan View Post
          Hi All, I thought you might be interested in what I did here with Alan's Vex Bonzo kit, on a Dire Straits track.
          Awesome.
          eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
          aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
          TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

Hi All, I thought you might be interested in what I did here with Alan's Vex Bonzo kit, on a Dire Straits track. I think this shows two things: (a) how great and versatile Alan's Vex Bonzo kit is and (b) how wonderfully versatile the Mimic is.

I made only the following changes to the Bonzo kit - I reduced the room and reverb from what was a very high +5db (I had increased from Alan's setting for my 'Bonham' video), to what was quite low - around -5db. I adjusted the relative volumes of the kit pieces to sit in the mix. I then cut the sustain and release substantially on all of the toms, to effectively dampen them. This stopped them being muddy during the bigger fills.

I used the Mimic Recorder to record my performance - I played along to a drumless track (its actually my band, its taken from our album). I did zero post production. This is simply what came out of the Master (and headphone) Outs. There is no multi-tracking or faffing with compression and eq. The settings are all as Alan had them, and flat eq on the masters. Any losses of low end that may be present will be down to the conversion from WAV to whatever the hell YouTube does with the video file. Regardless, I think this sounds amazing. A Bonham kit, on a Dire Straits track Hope you enjoy....
            Nice work! Since getting my VEX kits the Bonham kit has been getting almost full time use on my Mimic. Curious, how exactly did you access the adjustments for "sustain and release"?
            Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drumster View Post

Nice work! Since getting my VEX kits the Bonham kit has been getting almost full time use on my Mimic. Curious, how exactly did you access the adjustments for "sustain and release"?
              Cheers!
              Yep, I'm exclusively usig the Bonham kit, I love it! Glad you like the video, thank you To access the Sustain and Release, go to the Mod area of the Mixer. You will see blue horizontal bars, they are at 10ms. Pull the sustain back to around 360 and the Release to about 650, for each tom, and hey presto, damped toms!!!
              Pearl Mimic Pro with Drum-Tec 7pc Pro Series, ATV hats, ride and 16” crash, and a few old Roland CY14s

Comment

Yep, I'm exclusively usig the Bonham kit, I love it! Glad you like the video, thank you To access the Sustain and Release, go to the Mod area of the Mixer. You will see blue horizontal bars, they are at 10ms. Pull the sustain back to around 360 and the Release to about 650, for each tom, and hey presto, damped toms!!!
                Cool... Thanks!

Comment

• Went to the studio tonight to lay down some tom overdub tracks. Went through several of the Mimic kits and the engineer chose the toms on the Omar Hakim kit that Alan created.

Can't wait to hear what else you come up with Alan..

Comment

• Lord knows I LOVE Vex, but holy smokes that Rock Kit by scheinriese is the best things I've heard on my Mimic Pro yet!
                    Main Kit: Mimic Pro, PD-128-BC, PDX-100 (x4), CY-5 (x2), CY-15R, CY-14C (x2), CY-12C (x2), CY-8, KT-10 (x2), FD-9, BT-1 (x6), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK, QSC K10 & KSub, Yamaha MG10XU, Westone AM Pro 30, Bose QC35, Roc-N-Soc Nitro
                    Mini Kit: TD-30, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (x3), CY-13R, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack

Comment

• Iíll check it out. It can tell me your tastes.
                      Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Outlaw Pilot View Post
                        Lord knows I LOVE Vex, but holy smokes that Rock Kit by scheinriese is the best things I've heard on my Mimic Pro yet!
                        did he post the kit for download?

never mind i found it
                        Last edited by jammin777; 01-12-18, 02:58 AM.
                        Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

Lord knows I LOVE Vex, but holy smokes that Rock Kit by scheinriese is the best things I've heard on my Mimic Pro yet!
                          Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that someone else likes it. It's the only one I've made so far. I was waiting for the VEX kits but at least I wanted to try one by myself... ;-)

Edit: Because some people asked:

You can find the kit here in the board:
                          https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...02#post1176402
                          or in the forum which is hosted by Chris K:
                          https://www.mimicpro.com/uk.html (here are also some kits of other users)
                          or here:
                          http://s15.zetaboards.com/Pearl_Mimi...921&t=10347865
                          Last edited by scheinriese; 01-12-18, 05:13 PM. Reason: I edited because I got some PMs where to find the kit

Comment

• Originally posted by jammin777 View Post

did he post the kit for download?

never mind i found it
                            Cool! Could you share it with me? I can't find it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                              Iíll check it out. It can tell me your tastes.
                              One blanket preference I tend to have is I like crash 1 and 2 to be true crashing cymbals and never a splash or China. I know some kits I've experimented with from time to time there might be a "specialty" cymbal in one of those two places, and that's the first thing that gets swapped out.
                              Main Kit: Mimic Pro, PD-128-BC, PDX-100 (x4), CY-5 (x2), CY-15R, CY-14C (x2), CY-12C (x2), CY-8, KT-10 (x2), FD-9, BT-1 (x6), SPD-SX, Gibraltar GCS-ERK, QSC K10 & KSub, Yamaha MG10XU, Westone AM Pro 30, Bose QC35, Roc-N-Soc Nitro
                              Mini Kit: TD-30, PD-85 (x4), CY-5 (x3), CY-13R, MDS-TDKP1 folding rack

Comment

One blanket preference I tend to have is I like crash 1 and 2 to be true crashing cymbals and never a splash or China. I know some kits I've experimented with from time to time there might be a "specialty" cymbal in one of those two places, and that's the first thing that gets swapped out.
                                I've a;ways only done crashes on CR1 & 2. (not counting alternative cym packs)
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X