VDrumLib, dead or alive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDrumLib, dead or alive?

Before I start I will answer the first question to come in: Yes, I have mailed the people of VDdrumlib and haven't heard back from them

The last update that they have done was on May 9, 2015. Since then, the TD25 was released and last year the TD50 got released but unfortunately there has been no evidence that they will be supporting new Roland modules (because there are no versions to support the 2 latest modules). There is a thread on the forum about TD25 & VDrumLib: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...5-and-vdrumlib
    In this thread there is an answer that came back from Ken to one of our fellow users indicating that progress is slow due to the fact that there is no Roland documentation to support Kens' work. Obviously that is not an ideal situation for coming up with a new version of VDrumLib.

So does anyone know what the status of the VDrumLib software is?
    Is VDrumLib still around?

Thanks for sharing the latest intel on VDrumLib.

Note: This post is not here to rant the people of VDrumLib because they have proven to be of great support over the years but to understand if they are still committed to come up with new versions of VDrumLib that support the latest modules of Roland.
    Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV + SPD-SX / Dynacord Powermate 600 Mixer / GoPro Hero 4 / Macbook Pro + SD 3.0

Alive.

I emailed Ken at VDrumLib on March 4 asking about TD25 support and he replied a couple days later.

Kens response: "Yeah, I have been working on it off and on for a while. Mostly done with the reverse engineering."

Comment

It's good to hear that they are still working on it and I hope that they finish your TD25 version soon (I used to own one). I can only imagine that the new "prismatic" modeling for the TD50 will be even more complicated than the TD25.

Thanks for sharing.
      Cheers,

Roland TD-50KV + SPD-SX / Dynacord Powermate 600 Mixer / GoPro Hero 4 / Macbook Pro + SD 3.0

Comment

Just giving this thread a boost to see if anyone has heard anything further?!

It would certainly be a plus to have a version of VDrumLib with support for the TD-50. Esp. if it were able to include support for the samples and layering features. Not sure how similar the architecture is to the TD-30 from the POV of programming, though, so I don't want to assume that it's an easy update... ; )
        TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals/stands. SPD-30 and SPD-SX. TD-30 for additional triggers & layering. Muse Receptor 2+ Pro w/ SD v2.4.4.

Comment

As someone who went through this myself when I wrote TD30Browser....It is *incredibly* time consuming. There is no documentation, so every single little setting has to be reverse engineered.

It goes something like this.

Make a backup. Change a single setting to a new known value and jot down what the previous value was. Save to a new backup. Remove storage device, take it to computer, open both backups and compare them to see what changed. Great, so now you know the offset (from some previously discovered base location - lots of work has already been done to get to this point), but what you might not know yet is the allowable range. So, either you did something smart when you first created the backups, maybe using more than 2 to compare to find the limits of this setting... Great, now all you have to do is write all of the code to support displaying and changing THAT SINGLE SETTING. Rinse, Repeat. Are we having fun yet?

If I had a TD50, I'd likely have finished doing all of this by now...but I don't.
          eKit (TD-30KV): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/performa...y-s-drums-td39
          aKit: (Tama Starclassic): http://www.vdrums.com/forum/acoustic...ma-starclassic
          TD30Browser: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/general/...4-td30-browser

Comment

Originally posted by kgoroway View Post
            As someone who went through this myself when I wrote TD30Browser....It is *incredibly* time consuming. There is no documentation, so every single little setting has to be reverse engineered.

It goes something like this.

Make a backup. Change a single setting to a new known value and jot down what the previous value was. Save to a new backup. Remove storage device, take it to computer, open both backups and compare them to see what changed. Great, so now you know the offset (from some previously discovered base location - lots of work has already been done to get to this point), but what you might not know yet is the allowable range. So, either you did something smart when you first created the backups, maybe using more than 2 to compare to find the limits of this setting... Great, now all you have to do is write all of the code to support displaying and changing THAT SINGLE SETTING. Rinse, Repeat. Are we having fun yet?

If I had a TD50, I'd likely have finished doing all of this by now...but I don't.
            it's an insane job, but hey that's what reverse engineering the hard way is all about. Fun, not so much!!

Thanks for the enlightenment from your end.
            Cheers,

Comment

I asked Ken to come chime in, and shared many of us would like an update.
              Alan

Comment

It has to be an insane job for sure! In the next month I will be pulling the trigger for it & some VEX packs (will be in touch when I am ready for that part Alan) for my TD-9. I know it is old & outdated, but it is "new" to me and all I have, so why not give it a fighting chance! !
                TD-4 w/ 3x PD-8, CY12 C/R, CY8, PD-7 as HH, FD-7, KD-8, MDS-3 Rack.

Full Drum Fun Collection, Drumeo, Tommy Igoe, Band in a Box, minusDrum, Karaoke Version, Roland, Yamaha, and 2.76 Zillion Midi Files for Practice, along with my own Compositions.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                  I asked Ken to come chime in, and shared many of us would like an update.
                  Thanks Alan. Looking forward to hearing an update from Ken, and fully appreciate the labour and effort involved in delivering such a product. Definitely part labour of love, for sure!
                  TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals/stands. SPD-30 and SPD-SX. TD-30 for additional triggers & layering. Muse Receptor 2+ Pro w/ SD v2.4.4.

Comment

I'm a noob with VEX and VDrumLib, and just uploaded the 50 Best vol. 2 to my TD-12 over the weekend. Love it. What kind of software are you kids using nowadays to modify or generate the syx files? I'm only finding ancient apps that run on windows xp or new stuff for Mac, but I'm looking for something for Windows 10 or at least 7 if you can recommend something. Thanks!

Comment

VDL works fine in Win10. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
                      Alan

Comment

I'm mostly curious how the pros make their own kits so I can try it too...I've found it very difficult to manually edit all of the individual settings directly on the TD-12, so I am hoping there is software to help with the job. Also, I'm wondering what the data inside the syx file looks like, and if I can go into the files and make bulk changes (eg. find/replace birch with maple).

I'd like to play around with EZD2 also, and find ways to extend the use of my kit to my computer. This is all newish to me...I've had the set for a few years but am only now getting around to extensions.

Comment

There is no editor for deep modeling, if that is what you're asking. VDL does have a basic editor, but I do not know how expansive the features are in that portion of the app. I never use it myself. I only use it for creating custom collections of kits, and duplicating setup data across custom backups without having to do that part in the module. Moving kits around alone is far worth the $20 price tag.

As for "doing it like the pros", you really have to spend quality time in the module.

None of the above addresses your VST portion.
                          Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X